What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Big Lebowski (2 Viewers)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I would have picked it up had the transfer been better. It's a title I have wanted, but can do without.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I knew I should have waited before selling off my original disc. You just can't trust this studio for anything.

Sean and Doug,

So you think I'm better off re-buying the original?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Mix this release in with the new Office Space disc and you have a nice bit of disappointment going on. Guess I'm skipping both and sticking with my older versions.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for letting me know the other just released version also isn't worth getting.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

That's a tough call Dave. The new transfer is very clean but soft as hell. The old transfer is full of MPEG compression artifacts and has EE issues. Pick the ring of hell you think would be easiest to live in and go for it. I'm still not sure myself which disc I'll be posting on eBay. :angry:

"Over the line!!"

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I have no experience with the previous release but,

I thought the new transfer looked fine, it certainly isn't reference quality but it was entirely watchable on my 48" RPTV. The quality issues were most noticable in the first few minutes but after that I forgot about any issues.

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut transfer was hideous compared to this release but I seem to remember that getting a lot less ridicule that what this transfer has been getting.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The current Office Space disc is non-anamorphic which makes it completely unacceptable in my book. I will definitely be purchasing the new version.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i can't believe they left the teaser trailer off the new disc - that's a BIG reason to keep the original dvd!!!

i watched the new dvd all the way through this weekend and i must say that once my eyes adjusted to the softness it wasn't a horrible viewing experience...i almost think the transfer improves slightly as the film goes along.

still can't figure out why they zoomed the opening shot in so drastically.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I gotta say that all the above hatred is justified. This "upgrade" is a flaming P.O.S.! To my eyes, the transfer looks more-or-less the same as the old one, except that the opening shot is cropped so much that when you first see L.A., it's barely in the bottom of the frame. Jeff Bridges takes neat photos, but, seriously, these new "extras" are a joke. And the typical Universal forced trailers really pissed on my carpet, man!

Overall, the Dude would not abide. Keep your old disc and save your money from the nihilists.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
patrick -

you're the only other person who has mentioned the zoom-in of the first shot. i think it's incredibly obvious but no review has mentioned it yet. what could have been the reason for zooming it in? i can't think of any....

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Not to beat a dead horse, but I too was dissapointed with the transfer. I was expecting to see an improvement on my 51" but alas nothing. I am not an expert but I do know a supposed improvement when I see one. I guess I was too overly optimistic by the video reviews on this title prior to purchasing.

As much as I hate to double-dip, I hate it more that you have to double-dip-on-sh!t.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Sean, I'll admit that I was looking at it a little closer because of your comments in this thread, but it's pretty obvious if you're familiar with the film. It almost looks like it was altered for pan-and-scan, then they just matted it for widescreen. It's doubly weird since it dissolves into the next shot, and the framing there seems okay.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I have both the old and the new dvd. While the new transfer is soft, it is so much better than the first. The movie now looks perfectly acceptable, while the old transfer showed terrible compression artifacts.

I watch on a 65 inch Mits. Diamond. Worthy of a double-dip in my mind.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
NO ONE denies that the screenshots look better than the old dvd.

For some reason the actual DVD in motion, though, reveals problems that were never in the original DVD (excessive filtering and some aliasing).

So it's the "pick your poison" route - excessive filtering or artifacts. on a 103" screen both are unacceptable. I watched the new Office Space last night on the same setup and was very impressed with its filmlike transfer . I popped in Lebowski again to see if i "need to go to Lenscrafters", and was still floored that anyone would think this is an acceptable transfer.

i know i am blowing the image up much larger than most setups are, but rarely does a dvd look as soft and filtered as this Lebowski disc.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
In deference to you, Sean, I'm watching my DVDs on a far smaller display. Having said that, I still imagine I'd go with the rerelease over the original any day.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
regardless of the transfer debate, there is no excuse for that opening shot being so badly cropped. that is just plain weird, serves no purpose, and even DISSOLVES into a properly framed shot....odd.

in fairness to those defending the transfer - it seems to me that the transfer gets easier to watch during the second half of the dvd. not sure if it's just my eyes adjusting to it or if it's actually a better-looking dvd on its second layer, who knows. i just remember thinking "this doesn't look nearly as bad as the first 20 minutes" quite often during the second half of the movie.

i would not normally be this critical if it wasn't my favorite movie of all time....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks