What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunset Boulevard" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Seth_S

Second Unit
Ken,

I'm not sure what your point is, but I created a new thread titles, "Any actually value to film awards/lists?" if you want to respond or say anything else.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Well, it will make about my fiftieth viewing
of this favorite, but obviously i've never seen it like this before...can't wait.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ron,
It seems like you have been doing quite a few reviews of "classics" lately...and you seem to be enjoying them.
I'm always pleased to see how impressed people are when seeing some of these films for the first time. :emoji_thumbsup:
Anyhow, thanks for the review. This disc is definitely a must-have.
And to anybody else who has never seen this film, go out and get it. Take a chance. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great review Ron, you really made my week as I have been anticipating the quality of this release since it was announced. One of my all time favorite films. This will no doubt be my pick of DVD of the year...

Regarding the Oscar controversy, remember both Swanson and Davis were nominated. It has been my understanding that voters were so divided by both such strong performances that Holiday won by default. And her performance was gem and it should not be discredited, though I have no argument that Swanson or Davis should have won. But if I were an Oscar voter that year I would have been split too.

However, as it was mentioned, Hitchcock is a totally different story, there is no way to explain how he was overlooked year after year.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Ron !
HERE is my own with some native resolution screen caps to help show how good the image quality on this DVD is.
I also timed out the extras features...
Regards,

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Picked it up last night at Best Buy...and I have to say that, even with all my Paramount bashing, they really did this one up right!

Have no complaints about anything regarding this disc. Picture, sound, extra's...a grand DVD! One to really savor over and over again!

(The only problem is...Paramount you have shown us what you can do when you give it your all...you need to do that on all the product that comes from you...)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just got this and must say Paramount have done an excellent job. Apart from the great picture quality there are plenty of extras and a very good commentary track. I particularly liked the location map where you highlight areas of LA where the story takes place and then get a film sequence giving additional background information.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I guess I am too young to even know what this movie is and what it is about.
Not really. Most of my favorite films were made prior to me being born. You'd really miss out on quite a bit by thinking that you have to be in a certain age group to enjoy a film from a certain decade.

Anyway, this dvd came yesterday and I can't wait to give it a spin.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I guess I am too young to even know what this movie is and what it is about.
Not really, Todd. This movie was released in 1950, well before most of the members of this forum were going to the theatre. And not only that, even though the setting is roughly contemporary (late 40s) much of the film consists of lamenting for the days of yore (in this case, the silent film era).

So basically the subject matter is, in a since too old for us all. But, this all on the surface, as the film really explores universal truths, that are common to us all, regardless of our age and background.

This is no guarantee that you will like the film, but as Tommy points out, it is worth giving a try.

Rob Ray

Agent
Chuck L wrote:

"(The only problem is...Paramount you have shown us what you can do when you give it your all...you need to do that on all the product that comes from you...)"

It took several years of work to make Sunset Blvd. look this good. If you want everything to look like this film, you'll have an awfully long wait for your favorite older titles and many wouldn't be worth the investment. I'm glad the all-time classics like Sunset Blvd and Roman Holiday look this stunning, but I'd settle for more older titles of a lesser reputation released on DVD in more average-looking transfers and save the multi-million dollar restorations for the prestige titles.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I agree with you Rob with every fiber of my movie loving heart. The only problem is, I don't mind waiting at all when I know that they are working on something and giving it great attention, then simply not speaking of it or doing it at all.

Grease is a great example. Mostly everyone, except for those that don't know the difference in between good and bad transfer (J6P). I would have been more than happy to have waited to have had the problems that exist with it fixed instead of them giving us what they did. I am sure that many would agree with this. I also think that this would apply to the release of Star Trek 3 as well. While it isn't bad, I have seen a lot better (Star Trek 2).

Believe it or not, I am not only talking about my beloved Friday series either. If Paramount stated that yes, a un-rated version of Friday the 13th Part 2 or 7 was coming in September 2003 or 04, at least I would know that they were seriously doing it. It would then be worth the wait.

A big part of the problem though is the quality control issue. While I know that not every film is going to look prestine, it is still easy to throw up in the air such companies as MGM that does wonderful, beautiful and fan pleasing transfers of thir movies, even if it is a budget line series like MGM's Midnight Movies.

Disney, and the rash of Touchstone pictures that have been released through out fall show what happens with quanity verse quality. If they had taken more time and had prepped better version of their films, I would have a lot more of them on my shelf.

While everyone seems to love any extra that is available on a DVD, and I myself enjoyed everything on this disc...what matters on this film, or any other film regardless of the mainstream merit is the transfer. That is what should be first and foremost.

With Sunset Blvd., for me and maybe only me, it is a perfect example of the beauty of a black and white transfer done right. Roman Holiday is the same. I applaud them for it, and that is why I gave my money to those titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Chuck,
Numerous times, both MGM and Disney have been taken to task on this forum due to members having issues with the quality of their dvd presentations. Each studio is not perfect in their dvd output, but I truely believe that all of the major studios are committed in putting out the best dvd product possible within the limited constraints of their budgets and ROI business cases.

Crawdaddy

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
You're right: "Sunset Boulevard", as well as "Roman Holiday" are absolutely first-rate. NOW...if these are both successful, hopefully Paramount will issue more titles....especially,

"A FOREIGN AFFAIR" the film Wilder made right before "Sunset boulevard"...absolutely as good.

"ACE IN THE HOLE" the film Wilder made directly after. Cynical, and very worthwhile.

"FOREVER FEMALE" little known, superb comedy with Ginger Rogers, William Holden and Paul Douglas.....very much in the "All About Eve" vein.

"THE MATING SEASON" histerical comedy featuring one of Thelma Ritter's best performances.

I also wish Universal, who owns all pre-1948 Paramount films would start issuing some of scores of worthwhile Paramount Classics, including

Mae West
"NIGHT AFTER NIGHT"
"SHE DONE HIM WRONG"
"I'M NO ANGEL"
"BELLE OF THE NINETIES"
"GOIN' TO TOWN"

also
"MILLION DOLLAR LEGS"
"INTERNATIONAL HOUSE"
"IF I HAD A MILLION"
"KITTY"
"THE HEIRESS"
"TO EACH HIS OWN"

not to mention films by W.C. Fields, Marx Brothers, and so many others.....Paramount was a great studio in the 1930's and there's damn few titles available on DVD.

WAKE UP, UNIVERSAL.....

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, my Mom is in town visiting for a few days and brought some classic movies on dvd with her. Having been one of 6 kids, we always loved gathering around the tube for the "old films". I'm lucky that my parents "made" us watch some of these classics growing up. Seems like we mostly grew up on the older Hitchcocks, Cary Grant & James Stewart films, and the old hollywood musicals. You can see by my signature I am somewhat of a Star Wars nut, but also love the films of yesteryear...
However, there are some movies that I just never got around to seeing and Sunset Boulevard is one of them. Glad my Mom brought this one with her for us to watch!!!
Wow! Did I miss out or what! Truly mesmerizing and gripping from beginning to end. Great screenplay and terrific acting all the way through. I was totally astounded by Gloria Swanson's performance. Quite possibly the finest performance I've ever seen from a leading actress.
As great as William Holden was; every scene Swanson was in- she had me captivated.
Great review Ron and to anyone who likes truly great films needs this to be a part of their movie collection. I've already placed an order online for my own copy. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Words can hardly describe how much i am impressed with a) the 2k transfer, b) the digital restoration work and especially c) the most excellent encoding job. Unbelievable.

What an utter shame that 95% of the currently released DVDs of 'recent' movies don't rate half as high on my videophile meter.

I bow to Paramount and all the facilities involved! Groundbreaking work.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdreview.net/features/st...atures.REF=123
Barry Allen is the executive director of broadcast services and film preservation at Paramount Pictures. He lead the painstaking two year restoration of Sunset Boulevard for theatrical re-release and now DVD. Barry was in London to introduce a series of screenings of Billy Wilder’s outstanding noir at the British Film Institute.
check out the link for an extended Q&A
:emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can someone help explain for me the following Sunset Blvd. plot gaffe? ..........
WHY did Joe Gillis (Holden) throw away the opportunity to leave Norma Desmond's "prison" of a house and run off with true-love Betty Schaefer immediately after Joe catches Norma in the act of telephoning Betty [which results, of course, in THE BEST all-time "phone-slam" in movie history :)]?
His practically driving Betty away after she comes to 10086 Sunset Blvd. that night makes NO SENSE to me at all.
Joe obviously, at this late point in the film, hates his plight in Norma's world and contemplates "a way out", while retaining a relationship with Miss Schaefer.
So, WHY, when he could have gone away (happily ever after) with Betty, didn't he do so?
Betty, HERSELF, even offered Joe a "second chance", if you will....when she utters, "Come on Joe, get your things. Let's go."
What small point in character am I missing here?
For it seems to me that Joe not only throws Betty out the window, but, seconds later, he abandons Norma as well....therefore losing BOTH women in a matter of three minutes!
Thanks for shining any light on this mystery.
:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Simple, because Joe realizes he was a heel and that Betty deserved better than him. He also probably felt a little guilty about using Norma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks