What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am three days away from purchasing the R2 Sunrise disc at last without any problems.

Yippie

Also I discovered the first advertising in SFX magazine for the disc.

Yippie

I would also like to see the disc get a r1 release after february 1 when the mail in order ends.

Any thoughts ?

:D

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Nothing on Sunrise Oscar but I just read some disappointing news about silent releases at DVD Times in region 2. Dr Mabuse - The Gambler which I thought Eureka were releasing in the UK isn't coming out. Instead it looks like we're just getting the talkie sequel The Testament of Dr Mabuse on March 22nd. It seems to me a rather weird decision in that this film follows on from the two part silent 1922 one which isn't available in region 2 !

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I actually picked up a box set including the first three Studio Classics releases AND Sunrise at a dvd shop on St. Denis in Montreal last month. It was only around $45 CDN. I had heard that such a boxset was being sold in Costcos or some such store, but this was just a little dvd boutique.

Shaun

P.S. I won't even attempt to add to the praise this dvd has received in this thread. It's really a dvd release that is up there with the recent re-releases of Citizen Kane and Casablanca, in terms of being REQUIRED for any film collection.

P.P.S. Isn't the free offer to get this dvd expiring at the end of the month? It must be then going to be available in the shops.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
yippie finally I have got the LE of R1 Sunrise in a boxset from a Canadian Etailer with the first three movies.

I can confirm that these are the SE versions with all the commentaries because that is what I checked first.

I am deleriously happy and it has only taken 1 year to arrive

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
John

No, by mistake I found on the UK Amazon site a section called the MarketPlace and they had several copies of the boxset.

So I placed an order 10 days ago and arrived this morning.

Yippie yeah

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Derek,

DR. MABUSE, DER SPIELER. - DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER was passed by the BBFC on February 5, on behalf of Eureka and DAS TESTAMENT DES DR. MABUSE - THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE was passed by them on December 30. (no cuts were made)

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes thankfully it looks like it is coming later. Just thought it was odd the talkie Mabuse is getting released first !

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi there folks

I have a query about the theatrical trailer of Sunrise.

I know it is a silent picture but there was no music on this trailer.

Is this the case ?

Anybody help me with this.

Thanks

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The trailer probably would have had music provided by the theater's musicians.

Sunrise was one of the very first Movietone releases, so the trailer was likely released silent (or the only extant one is silent).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I recently picked up the DVD on eBay...

I'm simply in awe of how great and beautiful the film is. Fox did a superb job of restoring and transferring the film. The extras are great, too. I'm amazed that a trailer still existed (although, the nitrate rotting is obvious).

Honestly... I haven't cried during a movie since I was a small child (think Land Before Time). Sunrise is a perfectly formed gem.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I agree Sunrise is stunning. I saw the premiere of the restored on film print (keep an eye out for this to start going around major cities folks, it's a BIG treat!), and almost immediately ordered the box set from amazon (i've wanted the other three since they came out but haven't been able to afford them). The transfer on the DVD is more clean than the restored print which still contains a lot of film artifacts they were able to digitally clean up in 2K, but it's my opinion that the film still looked better on the big screen spots and all--you simply can't beat film. And the commentary on the DVD is outstanding! makes you realize how good Murnau was, and how sophisticated his filmmaking was, it could very easily be totally modern with his fluid camera.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am glad you liked this too Adam

Hopefully this will also be done in the UK and would very much like to see this on the big screen as well..

Oscar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks