What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
I received this from CD WOW! this Tuesday (for only $14.95):
"Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (Limited 2 DVD Set) (DVD Region 3)".

The word "Limited" comes mostly from the 4 nice looking postcards that came with the DVD set. On their site they said this was a CD WOW! exclusive and that it was available to only the first 1000 people who ordered the DVD.

PQ on this DVD is astounding: I can't wait to see this on my projector when I get it. :) Sound quality was great for the most part although I do agree about the "problems" with the bass and some of the "missing" sound effects. Extras were good although the Within A Minute documentary wasn't as good as some of the earlier documentaries.

The movie itself was a lot better than what I originally felt after leaving the cinema in June. The first 25 minutes and the final hour - for the lack of a better word - rocked. :D

Andrew Pat

Auditioning
I finally watched the movie - I needed a nice night with no work or responsibilities the next day. Some thoughts:

1. These scenes have affected me emotionally each time I've seen them:
a) The beheading of Count Dooku ("Do it!")
b) Padme's Ruminations - their best chemistry of the prequels?;
c) Order 66 - especially when Yoda drops his cane and almost collapses, that moment gives the scene it's sadness more than anything that happens to the individual Jedi
d) The "Godfather" scene where Palpatine christens himself Emperor while Anakin does the dirty work
e) Anakin/Vader cries on Mustafar - perhaps the most heartrenching/poetic scene in the entire saga
f) Anakin Loses it on Mustafar: "Liar!" "You will not take her from me!" - captures his anger and irrationality perfectly and gives me chills everytime because this is the first time you realize that he is capable of anything
g) "I hate you!!"
h) The Death Star Scene at the end - I kind of felt like Anakin and the Emperor had a Father/Son moment when Vader walks towards the window on the Star Destroyer and Tarkin dutifully walks away and lets the Emporer and Vader have some "alone"-time together; it really hit home the relationship that Vader/Palpatine/Tarkin have from then on - like Tarkin is a respected leader, but Palpatine thinks of Vader as almost his son. Really nice moment.

2) This had to have been some of the worst ADR that I have heard since A New Hope. These lines of dialogue in particular stuck out as being completely different than what the actors' lips were saying: "Hit the buzz droid, center eye" ("in the eye", his lips seemed to say); "I must go" Anakin says to Mace, but his lips seem computer animated; "The separatists have gathered on the Mustafar system" - much louder volume than the rest of the dialogue; "What Things" - "Obi-Wan's Here?".

3) I enjoyed the "Within a Minute" documentary - it left me wishing they could have done the same kind of program with several other sequences. And after watching everything that went into creating Mustafar, I don't think any Joe Schmo viewer can really tell for certain what is real and what is CG - and they'd be lying if they could say for sure.

4) I don't know about my system, but it seemed like on the crash-landing into Couruscant the sound effects emphasized the screeching of the metallic ship to the metallic ground of the city - which is why there was so little bass during that part (although there seemed to be a lot of bass from within the ship. Same with Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter crash landing on the Separatists' ship.

I can't wait until the next one! (I hear there are going to be 9! Sweet!!)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Those alleged next three film's won't happen IMO, I mean George isn't exactly getting any younger and he's just spent lord knows how many years of his life on these last three, he won't be willing to dive back into another three for a long time, and if and when he does decide to do them, he'll be either dead (Heaven forbid) or too old for all that stress on him again.

Besides, what's left to tell beyond EP VI? The Empire has fallen, the Sith have been wiped out, peace has been restored to the galaxy and the order of the Jedi has returned, or at least has begun again with Luke. I'm not interested in anything that has to do with the novels after EP VI, so any future films will have to come from George's head and I don't see that happening.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Yes. And no it's not their best chemistry in the Prequels. But, it is their most stunning scene together, if you wish.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Oh, it’s easy, after Episode VI we could find out that Emperor was a clone of Palpatine and Palpatine is still alive! ;) :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sam,
I realize your joking, but I also realize that there are those out there that will want to believe in and run with that ridiculous idea and to those I say get a life, it's lame LOL. ;)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I think it would be cool to see Luke go across the galaxy to recruit force sensitives to team up against a dangerous foe. He could have some sort of force sensitive training camp and teach them the ways of the force. Maybe one of his pupils falls to the darkside and Luke tries to bring him back just like he did to his father.

I know it will probablly never happen, but it would be cool if somehow Lucas's kids convince him to hire an up and coming director with Lucas writing the story and producing. Maybe Lucas can hire someone within Lucasfilm that loves Star Wars such as Rob Coleman or Nick Gillard.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Are you trying to tell me that there is no such thing as a light saber? Next you are going to try and tell me that there is no Santa Claus. :D

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Funny that you should mention that. The "Dark Empire" comics from Dark Horse actually use this as a plot. It's a good story overall--Luke goes Dark Side!--but it's EU and apart from the awesome battle scenes, they probably would not translate well to the big screen.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Like I said, Jesse, if three more films are going to happen they have to come from George's imagination, not some comic book or novel.

I've always found most of the story lines in those books to be grasping at straws and going with anything that any fan boy would come up with...

Fan boy #1
"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the Emperor wasn't really dead, but insead it turns out that Vader actually killed his clone!?"

Fan boy #2
"WHOA! Dude, that totally rocks, you have to write that one down!"

Ugh!

If they do three more films, they have to do better than that, and they can't be about Luke either, because that would require Mark Hamil and he is too old to be Luke now, at least not if they want to pick up after EP VI.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Star Wars is the Saga of Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One.

He's dead at the end of RotJ, there cannot be any sequels.

Cees

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Besides there's the TV series coming, which is going to add potentially hundreds of hours of new Star Wars content, so really, anything I think that Lucas may have an itch to tell beyond the movies will be dealt with on TV.

The movies are strictly the saga of Anakin/Luke Skywalker. I think effectively the TV series is the final nail in the coffin of there possibly being more movies.

I actually like the idea of the TV series ... they could make it look pretty movie-like nowadays with CG having evolved, but not as special effects driven as the prequels. Perhaps getting more back to the grittier tone of the OT. I also like the idea of other writers/directors getting a crack at Star Wars.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
What I REALLY like about the series is they've already HIRED all the writers and they're all ironing out the arcs right now, and the scripts for all 50 episodes, to be stretched over 2 seasons, will be completely finished before they even shoot a frame of film. I like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks