What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Black case from Best Buy here.

Now having looked at the disc, I have to say the transfer and soundtrack are both pretty impressive. I still would have preferred the original theatrical ratio of 2.35:1. Even if they used a 70mm print as a guide, I think 2.20:1 would have been better and, as Scott pointed out, either would have given it a more cinematic feel.

However, I can accept it since it's director-approved, and not actually cropped, and the image looks pretty nice.

As for the additional footage, I barely noticed the new mess hall shot. The alternate shot of McCoy was kind of weird because it so far off center, and I'm still not sure on the...

flashes of Cartwright, Chang, and Nanclus. It's not like it's unclear who they are.

If it had been included originally, I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but 12 years after the fact, it seems a bit unnecessary. Minor things, though.

The extras seem pretty cool, and the presentation of the movie is pretty great. Good to see this film has been given such good treatment.

And I just love the theatrical trailer for this film; so glad it's on there.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Discounting might have had something to do with the public losing interesting with the original-cast movies.

Not sure if SE5 was discounted, but it *really* should have been. I bought a used copy.

My guess is that 'Generations' won't be discounted.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I thought those might be new as well.

Generally liked them, but thought it was odd that one was B&W and another was color.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I skipped SE3 & SE4 because I didn't want to pay $20 for extras (same transfers).

I saw them used later for $15, but even with trade, I'd still be paying $10 each for extras.

SE5 & SE6 will give you better transfers, for albeit weaker movies.

I can't remember the deal with ST2 vs. SE2, but as the best of the lot, I'd recommend SE2.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

It is interested that the franchise seems to have 'run out of gas' on TV and in theaters at the same time.

Maybe this really is the end...

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Thanks for the heads up! You just saved me a few bucks.

BTW, my copy from Costco came in a black case, no insert.

But I'm not complaining. Heck, $11.99 for a 2 disc SE is quite a bargain!

Now the question is, do I keep my previous version since there are some changes in the SE version?

JimmyK

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
To Mark and Craig- Just curious what the turn out was like for the Nick Meyer Q&A and DVD signing?

I'm going to try to go to the signing up here in the SF Bay Area and want to get a sense of the numbers that turned out. I'm guessing the number of the people coming to an LA signing might be larger then outside of LA? I am assuming you guys were able to see him and get your DVD's signed.

As for Frank's comments, I too was wondering why this DVD was priced so low compared to others. It does seem like it's an indication that the market for Trek is slowing, and Paramount is pricing it to sell.

But if you ask me, I think with the advent of the two fan sites that have popped up with some pretty professional looking amateur films of the TOS era, there is a passion out there still for TOS Star Trek. And it probably says something about how some fans feel about the franchise.

Nelson

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The one thing I noticed is that the copy I got from DVDEmpire had a white box, and it had a second sticker that had something to do with being a bargain title. I saw the movie in black cases today at Walmart, but they did not have this bargain sticker.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator

You know when you think about it, who else got to "rework" his Star Trek Movies. (Besides Robert Wise) Definately not Nimoy or Shatner. I think Paramount really likes Nick Meyer and are trying to milk his brain to save the franchise.

On a side note, Who else think that the adventures of Young Kirk and Spock at starfleet (if done right) would be an intriguing notion?

Anyone know where I can purchase a black case for ST:VI? Mine came with the white case (didn't have any other colours) and I'd like to replace it. Suggestions would be great (especially if they're Canadian e-tailers, but I'll order from anywhere if necessary).

Thanks

Britton

Screenwriter

Well, do keep in mind that Nimoy didn't have any desire to rework his movies to begin with. In addition, the changes Meyer made to his movies were pretty minor ones that didn't require new special effects whereas Shatner wanted to make major changes that required special effects work.

However, if Paramount has more respect for Meyer as a director than Shatner, I can't blame them.

Dalvis

Auditioning
It was mentioned in the Digital Bits review for Star Trek VI and in another HTF thread that on a properly calibrated 16x9 display the 2:1 ratio wouldn't produce black bars due to overscan. On my 57" Sony there was no black bar at the top and a very slight black bar at the bottom. Has this been everyone's experience or is this out of the ordinary?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

The scaling feature on my DVD player prevents overscan, but the black bars were surprisingly small. Almost as small as the ones on 1.85:1 films which, if there's overscan, are never visible. So I'd venture to say the Digital Bits review is correct.

Regarding the new edit of the film on the DVD, I really didn't like the inserted shots of the conspirators during the interrogation/mindmeld scene. It was much more effective when it focused solely on Spock and Valeris. It's almost as if after 12 years, Nicholas Meyer suddenly feared that no one watching the movie could figure out who they were talking about.

Scott Varney

Agent

This was exactly the reason I questioned whether or not the transfer was 2:1. The black bars are so barely there that you really have to look for them. But, if the director approved, I'll accept it (even if I liked the 2.35:1 presentation better).

Agree with comments about Meyer rejuvinating the franchise... let's just hope Paramount gives somebody with talent and imagination a chance.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Same here, on my Pioneer 53" The bar on the bottom is so thin it pretty much looks like 1:1.85

Besices some of the special features (I really enjoyed the De Kelley tribute) I just looked at a few minutes of the film. I decided to have a ST film fest this week and am watching 1 thru 6 in order.

Live long and prosper!
Ric

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I'd like to see Meyer take another crack at the Star Trek franchise in the "Next Generation" era. A "Starfleet" movie, long the talk of discussion and rumour, holds absolutely no interest for me whatsoever.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Nicholas Meyer certainly deserves a lot of credit for rejuvenating the franchise a couple of times, but let's not leave out Harve Bennett and, albeit to a lesser degree, Ralph Winter. Bennett was responsible for finding Meyer, for starters, and he had a lot of input on II-V. Winter, from what I understand, was instrumental in keeping everything together, particularly in the later films.

Also, although they were all outsiders with new ideas, they still respected the history of the franchise and the fans. The lack of that respect, or at least the ability to show it, is part of what sank Nemesis, IMO.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Oh, forgot to mention my response to the actual disc in my last post. This is one of my favorite Star Trek films. It has a nice dark look to it which I like, but isn't "over the top dark" like Nemesis (and to an extent Generations - who knows what they were thinking when they lit that thing!!). I also like the look of First Contact for that reason.

However, I really dislike those added inserts in the Valeris interrogation/mindmeld scene. It ruins the camera work not to mention some dialogue is cut to accomplish it as well. It just seems like such a late addition which basically assumes the audience is too dense to remember who these people are.

Michael Holmes

Auditioning
Actually, for those of you going to the SF signing, I have a special request for someone who would be a bit willing...

I was watching the supplements for this disc and during the Nicholas Meyer segment on the "Star Trek Universe" segment, he mentioned that when he was in limbo between "Time After Time" and "Star Trek II", he was trying to get a certain project going from a Canadian author named Robertson Davies, but things didn't work out...

Now I could only assume that he was talking about his most prized novel "The Fifth Business", so would one of you be able to, during the Q&A segment, ask him about this project and what happened to it? Is he still interested in adapting it?

I'm a big fan of the novel, so it's piqued my interest a bit. Anyways, if one of you going to the signing could ask him that for me and post his reply here I would greatly appreciate it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Having Nick Myer direct a star trek generations film would be a good idea. I would think that the generations fans would like a movie that goes out with a bang and not a wimper like the last movie.. I don't know if Patrick Stewart would go for it or not.. he says that he is done with star trek.. maybe they could do a movie with spock or something.. (taking a guess really).. They did star trek 6 for the 25th anniversary.. Perhaps they could release one for the next anniversary.

the best thing would be to start a petition about this idea over in the movie section..Perhaps Martin would be kind enough to forward it to the right people that would see it and decide if the idea is good or not.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks