What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone order and receive it from Deep Discount DVD? I just did --- I hope it's a black case!

Scott Varney

Agent
Has anyone with a PC based DVD player actually measured this aspect ratio. Seems much closer to 1.85:1 than 2:1 to me. In my opinion, the transfer was opened up too much, removing some of the cinematic feel of the film. When a film is released as "widescreen", should be the Original Theatrical Aspect ratio.

Other aspects of the transfer are good enough, considering the age of the film, the film stock, and the Super 35 process.

Sound is actually quite good, too. Should be since this was the first Dolby Digital theatrical release.

Oh, black case in Ohio from Walmart. Really odd that Paramount shipped some in white cases.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It is 2:1. Looks mighty close to that to me, and it has been confirmed by Paramount.

Also confirmed by Paramount: an original 70mm print was used as a guide for the transfer. The DVD represents a legitimate OAR, if not the OAR that most of us saw projected in 35mm. In any case, it is the aspect ratio that director Meyer wanted - and he approved the transfer.

-Scott

Britton

Screenwriter
Saw a white case at Borders but I'm waiting for my copy form Amazon to arrive. Has anyone noticed if the soundtrack is better than the previous DVD? Back in 1999, I used to throw the old disc in the player and watch the end of the movie with the sound turned up. I remember that it was pretty sweet and that was just the Dolby Surround track through a Pro Logic receiver.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd jump in and say that my Canadian version was also a black case! :)

I bought it at WalMart. (Last copy on the shelf! :eek: ) Due to the crappy weather around here, I didn't get to any other retailers, so I don't know if other Canadian retailers have the white cases. Since we have different covers than the US (bilingual), are our versions physically assembled up here, or in the States?

Oh, and in case you're wondering... no insert, either! ;)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
No insert and the graphics (or the label) on disc 2 are printed upside down?! Paramount needs to work on the quality of the product that they are releasing!

David M.

Agent
I picked my copy up at Future Shop. Black case, no insert and Canadian packaging.

Just curious, are all the future Star Trek CE's going to be as low in price as this one. It was $14, Trek V CE was about $18 when released. All previous CE's if memory serves me correctly were about $24. If so that would be great.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I got my Canadian version about a week ago...it is a white case, certainly can't complain about the price and the contents. The last one I bought (IV) was Cdn$16 IIRC, but the previous ones were somewhat more at first, then dropped rapidly.

Jason*C

Grip
It kind of angers me that they decided to start being cheap on the packaging on Star Trek VI when that is my favorite origional series cast movie.

How they can ship without an insert and have a white box as well as an incorrect upside down image of the excelsior in space dock which was never in this movie (but actually it is a still shot of the Enterprise-B from Star Trek VII.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I said it before, I'll say it again: packed special edition with new anamorphic transfer for less than $20 list. I think a little perspective is in order before someone gets "angry" that the packaging is slightly cheap...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Is this the first edition of the film to include those flashbacks during the mind rape of Valaris
?

I thought it was rather jarring, myself. Or am I completely misremembering this scene? I haven't watched the old DVD in 3 years.

For what it's worth, picked mine up for $14.99 at Circuit City in a black case. Very strange deal going on with the case color.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Those inserts were jarring as I don't see them in the vhs version. Never saw them before. I like them though. As I do the whole damn disc! Black case. Some very moving moments in the supplements. Too excited for the next one. Minor packaging issues aside, THANKS MARTIN!

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I got a Borders gift card the other day, so I'll be picking this one up tomorrow. I'm still wondering if I should buy all the SE's. I already have 1 and 4. I don't really love the others, but will probably pick them up for the completist in me. Thanks for the review.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Mine has the b;ack case as well. Bought it at a Best Buy for 14.99 in Orlando. If you want the insert and you have the old DVD, just put that insert in your new one. I check the chapter stops and they all have the same name and number as the old DVD.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Went to the Nick Meyer signing/discussion at Borders in Westwood tonight and was very pleased-- though I came in late because of work, Mr. Meyer was a fascinating speaker and the Trek-geeks were generally a bit more subdued. Saw Martin Blythe there and said hello to him and another woman (Amy I think) who works in home video. A very nice evening. Thanks, Martin!

PS - Mine came in a white box too. Haven't had time to check out the disc yet.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the Meyer Q&A as well. All the boxes at the Westwood Borders were white.

Happy to say I had the privelege of opening the questions with our shared plea: "Could you please come back and save the franchise, again? Just one more time, promise."

Sadly, Paramount has not called Mr. Meyer.

-begin rant-

I feel that now, more than ever (barring a post-Enterprise-cancellation Trek hiatus), with the NextGen crew out of commission, the franchise needs a new direction, and who better to take it there than the guy who changed everything he could from TMP to TWOK, and who had to take the "cleanup role (his words)" from STV to STVI?

-end rant-

Let us pray.

BOMM,

CS

Frank@N

Screenwriter

CRAP...why didn't *I* think of that.

I just traded mine in, before buying the SE elsewhere.

I guess I was locked-in on the idea of a silver SE insert and nothing else would do.

Double crap...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks