What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Trek - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The blue box vhs had the black Desilu logo without the plastered 1978 copyright. If these were taken from the original masters, they should have included it. I don't know why they are using the altered logo.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Cool stuff about Bruce Hyde! Thanks for sharing Randy! :D

So, did he say anything about "Kathleen?" ;) (He's probably sick to death hearing about that song...)

Reminds me... does that scene creep anyone else out? I mean, Lenore is certainly attractive, don't get me wrong, but wasn't her character 19? Here comes the handsome 34 year old captain for a Vulcan-lip-lock! :eek:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Same for me with the Naked Time black spots. Hmmm. I think I still have a copy at home, which I taped some years ago. I'll have to check it out. Pretty sure they are there though!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Re: hubs
I've re-examined the packaging. The hubs do press down and release the disc, but it requires a pretty good amount of pressure, unless you lift the "page" off of the one beneath. Doing that (which apparently is what I did unthinkingly), the discs come off the hubs almost effortlessly.

As far as grain: certainly, the resolution of DVD will show grain more readily than VHS will. But if grain is part of the print, then it should be part of the transfer on DVD. There is no "digital noise," so far as I can tell, on these transfers. It appears to be 100% emulsion grain. Certainly, for some, grain enters into the equation in terms of picture quality. But, since the grain was correctly transferred from the prints, it is not a fault of the transfer.

Remember that Star Trek was shot on a very tight budget. Reduced lighting budgets and bargain filmstock add up to grain in the emulsion. Removing the grain would also remove picture detail, and would not be true to the intent of the production. Remember, also, that it was shot with the average 1960's television set in mind!

-Scott

NicholasMinTN

Auditioning

Actually, per the AFM contract, they used a library rerecording done at one of the sessions for season two music, they couldn't have used the Season One cues because of contractual limitations...

Anyhoo, I picked this up at Best Buy for $106.99 on Tuesday, then saw it at Wal-Mart for $96.36, so I went back to Best Buy yesterday and they gave me the difference and 10% on top of that back as a price match! Schweet! Total expenditure: Approx. $86.00... I rock! :D

And the set is very pristine, other than the gripes about the replaced music, it's a small sacrifice for having a great show on DVD at long last. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

In cases like that (most notably, the Battlestar Galactica set), I've taken a nail file and rubbed it against the edges of the hubs to make them less tight. It makes the discs easier to get in and out and still holds them in place.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
So i guess everyone who bought the first 40 disks get no sympathy for being able to acquire the extra's disk to go along with forking out over twice the money?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The color on the blue box versions was gorgeous...almost a Technicolor look. So far, they are my favorite versions, and seem to be taken from better elements. I still think the dvds were taken from 1970's prints.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All the art I had seen implied Kirk, Spock and McCoy from "Metamorphosis" (I think) would be the picture showing through the case. I got mine from Amazon and the picture is Kirk and Spock from "Return of the Archons" (I think). Is everyone's the Kirk/Spock picture or are they all different?

BTW, paid $84 for mine and it arrived today in the mail. Not a single problem with the case or discs. Very, very shocked.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

Assuming that by your last sentence, you meant that you paid approx. $86 (after BB pricematch and 10%) for your ST:TOS set...looks like someone at the register screwed up, to your advantage. Since BB pricematch policy is pricematch plus 10% of the difference, technically the final price before sales tax should have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $95.30 ($96.36 minus 10% of $10.63 difference between BB and WM price minus sales tax of the 10% amount).

Not implying anything moral by my post--just that if I read it correctly, you definitely got a great deal on the set from BB.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I just checked my Paramount blue box VHS and "The Naked Time" doesn't have the the flashing viewscreen issue. It never flashes to black. I wonder how this problem came about?

No corrected viewscreen=No Sale!!

;)

I bought the DVD set Tuesday night.

Shannon B

Grip
I wonder why other regions are getting special cases but Region 1 isn't?

This seems odd to me.

Thanks for all the wonderful info everyone. I can't wait to get this set!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Guys Deep Discount Shipped my Copy of Generations. Guess they did'nt get the Recall memo

I wonder if I should keep it?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

This is getting very interesting. If the flashes weren't on the original, how did they get on the DVDs? Someone would have had to intentionally edit the video somehow to insert blackouts of the image on the viewscreen while leaving the image surrounding the viewscreen intact. Or, maybe the VHS was doctored somehow to edit out the flashes? Maybe they're from two different sources - one of which was on the original broadcast and one which wasn't - but which is which?

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Exactly what is the scene or time index of the scene in question of the black flash on the viewscreen during The Naked Time? I'll check my laserdisc copy this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks