What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Khaaaaaaaannnnnn!

It's mine! I am always willing to reward studios who treat their catalog titles properly.

Thank you Paramount and Mr. Blythe!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
While I not the biggest fan of Star Trek, I shall get this as one of the few Star Trek DVD I will end up getting (later on IV, IV, and maybe a few of the others), but treat this one like a good movie, not something a geek cares all about it (not insulting, just don't want to be labeled as a Star Trek geek when I never really bother with the television show).

NicholasM

Auditioning
Replying to the questions on the added scenes...

By what I read here, it appears that ALL the footage from the ABC version will be in this release.

I myself picked up a used copy of the movie-only version (which is the theatrical version), and I'm glad I went that route, it was only 12.99 used!

I am so glad this new version is coming out, it'll be mine on street date!

Nicholas J. Mooneyhan :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Most of the time deleted scenes deserve to be deleted. But, the scenes reinserted with Scotty's nephew fix some plot holes in the original movie. Like, why was Scotty so upset about the engineer dying? Going so far as to carry him to the bridge. In the original you have no clue why. But, with the deleted scenes Kirk and the audience are introduced to this cadet upon arriving on the Enterprise. And we learn he is Scotty's nephew.

Ron, how is the scenes where Reliant launches the sneak attack on the Enterprise? That is my favorite scene of all the movies.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
August is getting very expensive!!! Simpsons, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown! Already got LOTR and Ed Wood got delayed for now, so that saves me some August money.

Looks like a phenomenal set, lets hop Star Trek IV, VI, and First Contact get this treatment.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Great review. Looks like an outstanding set. I'm glad I waited. I have the non-anamorphic 'Undiscovered Country' sitting on my shelf irritating me and I refused to go for any more til they did it right.

'From Hell's heart, I stab at thee...'
-J. Montgomery Burns

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
By what I read here, it appears that ALL the footage from the ABC version will be in this release.
Nope. According to the text commentary, the scene between Kirk and Saavik in the elevator was altered for TV, but that doesn't happen here. I never saw the ABC version, but I don't think this one includes all of that material. None of the truly deleted shots - ie, the ones that weren't reinserted - show up elsewhere on the DVD either...

Matt Bloxham

Agent
Been waiting for this movie for along time, since I knew that the SE was coming I also waited:D
Much more of a Star Wars fan, than a Trek fan, but this is the one Star Trek movie I will be buying! Can't wait for Aug 6

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for another great review, Ron!

I'm hoping that the same treatment will be done on the Star Trek film that featured the whales (I can't even remember what the title is, but I really like it--some great comedy lines in that one!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm pretty sure that the only extra scenes are the ones involving Peter Preston.

The other scenes Ron mentioned are all part of the theatrical cut and are NOT new scenes.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am looking forward to this. I had it pre-ordered a long time ago. It sounds like Paramount did a great job. They are doing these SE Star Treks the RIGHT way.:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I can't wait to get this disc, but does anyone else find think the sub-title, "The Director's Edition" is really just riding on Star Trek - The Motion Picture's coat tails? TMP was legitimately a new edit, supervised by director Robert Wise and boasted a new completed 5.1 soundtrack as well as new special effect sequences. This version of TWOK is really just the extended broadcast version. Years ago Paramount released the extended version of TMP on laser disc and video tape and they simply called it the "Special Longer Version". I think that would be a more appropriate title for this version of TWOK.
I'm hoping that the same treatment will be done on the Star Trek film that featured the whales (I can't even remember what the title is, but I really like it--some great comedy lines in that one!
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home. According to some reports on-line, work has already started on this disc.
Neil

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Does this DVD have the theatrical "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" or the video version with "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"?

Mike

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
There are all these
small effects noises that you never heard before
that add to making this film a totally new viewing
experience.
Actually, these sounds were on the widescreen laserdisc. I used to use these sounds to show people how much better LD was than VHS.

Mike

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Ron.

Regarding what ABC footage is on or not on the DVD, from what Ron described, sounds like it's all there. I have a video tape recording I made at the time of the broadcast. There is a sequence as Ron described of both Kirk and Spock crawling up a "Jeffries Tube". Earlier, there is a sequence after Peter Preston dies where Kirk and McCoy discuss how Khan got the Genesis device. I don't recall Ron mention this. This scene and Scotty in sickbay mourning his nephew's death were real revelations to see. As well as Kirk giving Peter Preston the ribbing he does as he inspects Engineering.

One disturbing addition, which I bet is not on the DVD is an insert shot of Spock climbing down a Jeffries Tube on his way to Engineering to fix the "Mains". It is disturbing as the music is not in synch with the rest as it's a rather jarring insertion, as if they had it and thought, let's stick it in there. I look forward to pulling that tape out and reviewing it against the DVD for content.

I'm glad to finally see this out on DVD and I too send my Thanks to Paramount and Mr. Blythe.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks