What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Interesting- The bottom images are slightly cropped on the left side, and ever so slightly cropped at the bottom.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes indeed the second images are from the new transfer. But the bad news is that the new transfer is cropped on the left. So I think I will still keep the original.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Great review Scott! I was on the fence about purchasing this right away, but I gave in to the inevitable and placed my order. Gotta have it - it's Trek fer cryin' out loud! Especially after scrutinizing those comparison screenshots. Thanx Sam!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I have the original script for First Contact and also a copy of the workprint that I received two months before the premiere and there are no such scenes in either.

Can't wait for this S.E. Sounds great!:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Nice review. Yes, the second set of pictures look better. Less pixelization, less moire, better resolution etc.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, none of the special features are anamorphic. I meant to mention that in the review. I'll edit it to reflect that.

Clark - I added a link to another video in my previous post.

-Scott

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Quoting GregK:This fact is very disappointing to me.

It's true that all of Captain Jean-Luc Picard's head is visible in the first picture with a good deal of space after that and the second picture cuts off part of the back of Picard's head. The same again with the control instrument on the table at the bottom of the screen. You can see the whole control with additional space after it on the bottom of the screen in the first picture and the corner of the control cut off in the second picture.

Maybe this should also be mentioned in the review, like the few occasions of mild dialogue distortion at peak levels?

Unfortunate; I wonder if the cropping is throughout the whole film?

Paul

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It should be noted that, since these are digital captures, they don't take into consideration the "action safe" framing. The cropping is pretty minor, and it is unlikely that one would notice any problem with standard overscan.

There is also a bit more of a reveal on the right of the frame (though not as much as is cropped on the left). Who is to say which transfer is "right"? I would estimate that both are within tolerance for an "action safe" frame.

It should also be noted that, in the first instance anyway, neither the camera nor Patrick Stewart are static in the scene. If the capture was even one frame off, it could explain some of the difference. I'm not faulting Sam's procedure - just pointing out some variables.

I don't see clear evidence that either transfer is flawed. If one is - which one?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Quoting Scott Kimball:
Good point Scott! Because of my concern for the OAR and the Original spacial dimensions framed in the OAR, I expressed my concern too early.

First, I notice that Sam Davatchi, who posted the pictures, is from Paris, France. Are his "original" pictures from the 'Region 1' DVD? Same for the "Collector's Edition"?

Paul

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I can't answer on Sam's behalf... however, I've been playing around with his captures.

Here's a superimposition, with the frames lined up as close as possible on a point of reference near the center of the screen (the control in front of Troi was used for convenient reference). This serves to point out the difference in zooming on the two transfers.

Doing some pixel measurements, here is the framing difference for each edge of the frame, based on points of reference near each edge:

.028 Left
.007 Right
.001 Top
.019 Bottom

2.8% for the largest framing difference is smaller than the overscan of most calibrated displays. Most sets out of the box have a greater than 5% overscan.

-Scott

Britton

Screenwriter
Good price + improved picture + interesting and plentiful collection of extras = sure fire purchase.

Definitely the best of the TNG flicks.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Scott. It's too bad about the cropping, but at least it's slight. Also good to hear the problems with the Generations transfer haven't been repeated here.

I'm also looking forward to the Goldsmith tribute.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes all my captures in this forum from the past and present are from region 1. I will try to do more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks