HTF REVIEW: "Speed" (Five Star Collection) (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 25, 2002.

1. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Excellent review, Ron.[​IMG]

2. luke cav

luke cav Stunt Coordinator

since this is the same as the R2 dvd, this kicks much ass.[​IMG]

3. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

Thanks for the nice review, Ron. Just one minor bit of clarification, since this is now the second review I've seen this comment pop up in:

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Charlie,

As you are the Producer of this fine DVD,
    I will gladly make the corrections. Thanks
    for bringing it to my sttention.

Also, may I congratulate you on a great
    job on this set.

Regards

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I'll be buying this one for certain! I have no idea how many times I watched the videotape of Speed that I had recorded from HBO. Heck, I even recorded it at fast speed for best quality! I really enjoyed Speed, and I watched it quite a few times. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in its OAR for the first time, and of course to hearing it in 5.1 for the first time ever too.

I'll "Speed" to the store to buy this one!

Steve K

6. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Nice review Ron. Man, that looks good. I've been waiting for this to be released for quite a while. Speed is one of those movies I just like, cannot explain it.

Charlie, how is that Black Hawk Down Special Edition coming along? I'm waiting for that one too. I've even convinced a few other people I know to hold out for your work on that one. We're anxiously awaiting some specs and a release date from CTHV. Hopefully, it will see the light of day this year?!?!?

Regards,
    Dan

7. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

Ron,
    Thanks again for the very kind words. [​IMG]
    Dan,
    The BHD: SE is coming along great! I haven't heard a final street date yet, but don't worry...the wait won't be terribly long. Of the discs I've worked on so far, BHD: SE is easily becoming the one I'm most proud of.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Excellent news on both discs! I held off on BHD when I heard there might be a "CdL SE" version coming out--everyone knows you have to get that one! [​IMG]
    I'll be buying Speed on release date. My patience finally paid off. Despite not being a Bullock or Reeves fan, that movie worked for me. I had to use all my willpower not to buy the barebones disc and wait for the SE version.
    [​IMG][​IMG] to you Mr. de Lauzirika

9. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've been looking forward to this since about 1 minute after starting to watch the original release. [​IMG] I'll be all over it on the 30th. I'm not far behind Michael for most purchased title: original DVD, 5-Star (pending), DTS LD, and (shudder) VHS.

11. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

What a sweet week late birthday present this will be. I going to buy this up so fast and love it every minute. Good job to you Charile, who I never knew was a DVD producer.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Alright, here's a nit-picky question- this was the very last movie to have the older non-CGI Fox opening (True Lies was the first to have the new opening that has been used since then.) I checked out the LD when it came out and was disappointed that they had put in the newer Fox opening instead of the older one, since this was the last movie to use it. Does the new DVD have the older Fox opening?
    BTW "Private Lessons" was another movie Jan De Bont was a DP for, betcha didn't know that [​IMG]

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Sigh[​IMG] ..... Fox already has more of my money than the govornment.[​IMG] I guess they'll get some more.

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The DVD has the new FOX logo at the beginning.

15. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Ron, this was a great review and almost could be used as a motivational speech given to people considering the DVD format for the first time. As I was reading it I was getting more and more psyched for this DVD set, and I kept thinking, "geez, I have to wait to 7/30 to buy this?" And I cracked up when I read the first sentence in your "final thoughts" segment - very appropriate and timely humor given what you had written in previous sections of the review, I thought.

As always, I'm most thrilled to hear that the transfer and soundtrack are reference-quality as that is my primary wish for all DVD releases. That fulfilled wish notwithstanding, I consider it gravy that the extras sound so unique and meaningful. For the first time in a long time, I'm almost as excited to view the extras as I am the film itself.

I am so glad I held off on buying the original DVD release. And since I sold my original Speed LD, I've been without the movie. I can't wait to acquire it, pop it into my DVD player and experience this movie in a totally new way.

Charlie, let me also congratulate you on Speed and Gladiator (one of my favorite DVDs and still one of my favorite demo DVDs). And I'm glad that the upcoming BHD SE looks to be another spectacular release. I have been holding off on buying BHD since I heard there may be a SE release, and now I'm glad I waited.

This release is one of the ones that makes me realize why I have always been so excited about the format in general!

16. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    This is just a great year for DVD! Another must have for me.[​IMG]

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Ron (and anyone else who has a copy of this disc already)
    Does this have a widescreen tutorial on it?
    The only reason I ask is because:
    1) I used to own the OAR VHS of Speed and it had a Widescreen demo towards the front (as did all Fox OAR VHS that came in those gold-trim cases).
    2) Die Hard 5 star had it too
    So I was just hoping that maybe they included it on this release, and maybe put it in a more prominent spot than they did in Die Hard.
    Heck, on the VHS it was right in the front! Like a forced trailer (only this one you'd want people to have to watch at least the first time through).

18. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Well, it looks like Ron have done it again.Giving this
    wonderful review on 5 Star DVD of Speed.You have done me in
    Ron, now I must have this DVD.
    Just jesting[​IMG]

19. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Ron,
    I'm curious. Weren't you also supposed to review Speed 2 also.
    I kinda remember seeing it listed with Speed on the main page as a upcoming review at one time. I could be mistaken. Anyway, thanks again for a great review. I will be eagerly awaiting this one. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Joe

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Was never sent a review copy.

To be honest, even if I had, there
    are just so many other titles here for
    me to review that are more thrilling than
    SPEED 2. I really have to prioritize what
    I review as I just have so much here.

Thanks