What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Speed" (Five Star Collection) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Thanks for the nice review, Ron. Just one minor bit of clarification, since this is now the second review I've seen this comment pop up in:
An original 1994 On Location featurette
gives us an inside look at the making of the film.
Although the behind-the-scenes footage was indeed shot back in the day, the On Location featurette itself was produced exclusively for this new Five Star Collection DVD release. I doubt many vintage promotional featurettes would show Jan De Bont chuckling "Oh fuck!" as someone falls off the metrorail train mock-up.
:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Charlie,

As you are the Producer of this fine DVD,
I will gladly make the corrections. Thanks
for bringing it to my sttention.

Also, may I congratulate you on a great
job on this set.

Regards

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I'll be buying this one for certain! I have no idea how many times I watched the videotape of Speed that I had recorded from HBO. Heck, I even recorded it at fast speed for best quality! I really enjoyed Speed, and I watched it quite a few times. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in its OAR for the first time, and of course to hearing it in 5.1 for the first time ever too.

I'll "Speed" to the store to buy this one!

Steve K

DanR

Supporting Actor
Nice review Ron. Man, that looks good. I've been waiting for this to be released for quite a while. Speed is one of those movies I just like, cannot explain it.

Charlie, how is that Black Hawk Down Special Edition coming along? I'm waiting for that one too. I've even convinced a few other people I know to hold out for your work on that one. We're anxiously awaiting some specs and a release date from CTHV. Hopefully, it will see the light of day this year?!?!?

Regards,
Dan

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Ron,
Thanks again for the very kind words. :)
Dan,
The BHD: SE is coming along great! I haven't heard a final street date yet, but don't worry...the wait won't be terribly long. Of the discs I've worked on so far, BHD: SE is easily becoming the one I'm most proud of.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news on both discs! I held off on BHD when I heard there might be a "CdL SE" version coming out--everyone knows you have to get that one! :)
I'll be buying Speed on release date. My patience finally paid off. Despite not being a Bullock or Reeves fan, that movie worked for me. I had to use all my willpower not to buy the barebones disc and wait for the SE version.
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: to you Mr. de Lauzirika

DanR

Supporting Actor
Of the discs I've worked on so far, BHD: SE is easily becoming the one I'm most proud of.
Considering the discs that you have to your name Charlie, that is quite a statement. Gladiator is easily the best DVD release I own (said that before, and I'm saying it again). If BHD:SE is up to par with that, then we're all in for a real treat. If it actually bests Gladiator, well, then, it will most likely be the best DVD released this year on all levels (film, audio/video, and added-value content). Thanks again for creating such great packages, and again, please let Ridley Scott know that many people out there appreciate his active participation in and love of the DVD format.

Best regards,
Dan

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to this since about 1 minute after starting to watch the original release. ;) I'll be all over it on the 30th. I'm not far behind Michael for most purchased title: original DVD, 5-Star (pending), DTS LD, and (shudder) VHS.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
What a sweet week late birthday present this will be. I going to buy this up so fast and love it every minute. Good job to you Charile, who I never knew was a DVD producer.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Alright, here's a nit-picky question- this was the very last movie to have the older non-CGI Fox opening (True Lies was the first to have the new opening that has been used since then.) I checked out the LD when it came out and was disappointed that they had put in the newer Fox opening instead of the older one, since this was the last movie to use it. Does the new DVD have the older Fox opening?
BTW "Private Lessons" was another movie Jan De Bont was a DP for, betcha didn't know that :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Sigh:D ..... Fox already has more of my money than the govornment.;) I guess they'll get some more.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Ron, this was a great review and almost could be used as a motivational speech given to people considering the DVD format for the first time. As I was reading it I was getting more and more psyched for this DVD set, and I kept thinking, "geez, I have to wait to 7/30 to buy this?" And I cracked up when I read the first sentence in your "final thoughts" segment - very appropriate and timely humor given what you had written in previous sections of the review, I thought.

As always, I'm most thrilled to hear that the transfer and soundtrack are reference-quality as that is my primary wish for all DVD releases. That fulfilled wish notwithstanding, I consider it gravy that the extras sound so unique and meaningful. For the first time in a long time, I'm almost as excited to view the extras as I am the film itself.

I am so glad I held off on buying the original DVD release. And since I sold my original Speed LD, I've been without the movie. I can't wait to acquire it, pop it into my DVD player and experience this movie in a totally new way.

Charlie, let me also congratulate you on Speed and Gladiator (one of my favorite DVDs and still one of my favorite demo DVDs). And I'm glad that the upcoming BHD SE looks to be another spectacular release. I have been holding off on buying BHD since I heard there may be a SE release, and now I'm glad I waited.

This release is one of the ones that makes me realize why I have always been so excited about the format in general!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron (and anyone else who has a copy of this disc already)
Does this have a widescreen tutorial on it?
The only reason I ask is because:
1) I used to own the OAR VHS of Speed and it had a Widescreen demo towards the front (as did all Fox OAR VHS that came in those gold-trim cases).
2) Die Hard 5 star had it too
So I was just hoping that maybe they included it on this release, and maybe put it in a more prominent spot than they did in Die Hard.
Heck, on the VHS it was right in the front! Like a forced trailer (only this one you'd want people to have to watch at least the first time through).

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it looks like Ron have done it again.Giving this
wonderful review on 5 Star DVD of Speed.You have done me in
Ron, now I must have this DVD.
Just jesting:)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Ron,
I'm curious. Weren't you also supposed to review Speed 2 also.
I kinda remember seeing it listed with Speed on the main page as a upcoming review at one time. I could be mistaken. Anyway, thanks again for a great review. I will be eagerly awaiting this one. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Joe

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was never sent a review copy.

To be honest, even if I had, there
are just so many other titles here for
me to review that are more thrilling than
SPEED 2. I really have to prioritize what
I review as I just have so much here.

Thanks

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
yes, yes, yes! i can't wait to get this dvd! definitely adding this to my limited dvd collection...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks