DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Snakes on a Plane

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Jan 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    Snakes on a Plane
    Directed By: David R. Ellis

Studio: New Line
    Year: 2007
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic)
    Running Time: 106 Mins.
    Rating: R (Language, A Scene of Sexuality and Drug Use, and Intense Sequences of Terror and Violence)
    Audio: 6.1 DTS ES, 5.1 Dolby Digital EX, 2.0 Dolby Digital
    Subtitles: English and Spanish
    MSRP: $28.98
    Street Date: 2 January, 2007

Review Date: 6 January, 2007
    (Ratings are out of five stars)

Summary
    I refuse to bore you with a long summary of this film. If you know the title and you clicked on the review link, you know exactly what we’re talking about here…We’re talking about SNAKES ON A PLANE! You remember the jokes, you remember the internet buzz, you might even remember the Samual L. Jackson phone messages (God knows, I got about 50 of them at work). I’m hear to tell you that Snakes on a Plane might just be something you have to experience first hand for yourself.

The plot loosely throws together a crime-lord, a witness against said crime-lord, and Sam Jackson’s FBI agent onto a plane literally filled with deadly snakes. Yep, not really much else you need to know. I too thought this was going to be one of the stupidest films ever mad during the pre-release buzz, and I’m happy to say that it isn’t. Well…it sorta isn’t. Like other David Ellis projects (Cellular and Final Destination 2 come to mind), Snakes is a well put-together action movie that regardless of it’s brainless nature is a damn fun watch. As such, I definitely recommend checking it out (especially with a group of friends).

Film Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Video
    New Line’s transfer is an excellent reproduction of the theatrical film print. Colors are saturated, but not overly so. During the opening Hawaii scenes, the greens, reds, and blues appear vibrant and life-like and really pop out at t he viewer. The picture detail was great throughout the film, but was especially showcased during the opening nature shots. Due to the color saturation, flesh tones appeared a little on the red side, but it worked with the overall color palette of the film. Edge enhancement was at a minimum, and shadow detail was very good during the plane scenes. I didn’t notice any major artifacts, and the original film grain was low, but enhanced the film-like look of the transfer when it appeared. New Line has once again knocked one out of the park.

Video Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Audio
    The disc features both Dolby Digital EX and DTS 6.1 ES tracks, and I chose to listen to the DTS track. It’s another solid presentation from New Line. Dialog was very clear with no distortion or boom-mic hiss (get it, hiss...hehe, like a snake...oh nevermind). The rear effects and LFE channels were used very effectively throughout for sound effects action as well as score. Channel separation was very good and created an effective ambience for the entire film.

Audio Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Extras
    Feature Commentary – The feature length commentary features Director David Ellis, Sam Jackson, VFX guy Erik Henry, and producers Craig Berenson and Tawny Ellis as well as second unit director Freddie Hice. As you might expect, the track is a fun one. With the topic of the movie and the inclusion of Mr. L. Jackson himself, the commentary is very lively. I didn’t have time to listen to the entire track, but I intend on revisiting it in the future, and definitely recommend it.
    Gag Reel (4:36) – A self explanatory gag real of flubbed scenes.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
    Pure Venom: The Making of Snakes on a Plane (18:00) – A pretty descriptive behind-the-scenes look at Snakes. The doc primarily consists of behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with the cast and crew. It touches on how the project came together and the overall production of the film. Fairly short and standard, but worth a watch.
    Meet the Reptiles (12:56) – A quick piece featuring interviews with the cast/crew about working with the snakes on the set.
    VFX Featurette (5:00) – A short doc that examines the CG animation featured in the film.
    Snakes on a Blog (10:00) – A quick doc about the internet buzz created by Snakes on a Plane. Definitely worth a watch.

The DVD also features a music video and the various Snakes TV spots.

Extras Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In Closing…
    Snakes on a Plane is not an art film. I hate using the term, popcorn flick, at it implies a guilty pleasure; something that’s not good for you, but watchable anyway. Snakes is a fun action/horror/Sam Jackson flick that isn’t going to change your view on the world. That being said, it’s a lot of fun to watch, and almost more so because of the absurd nature of the film. New Line has done an excellent job presenting the film as accurately as it was in theaters with an excellent transfer and audio track. They’ve also treated us to a solid bounty of extras. You may not want to admit it, but you do want to see this movie, and I’m happy to recommend it. [​IMG]

Overall Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Matt Stone
    7 January, 2007

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    ilked your review.
    i agree with what you say.

the movie certainly isnt all it was hyped into but it was still fun.

was funny too.

sound was good too.
    liked the dts es

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

It was fun. Some soft scenes.

4. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Barely watchable! Should have been straight to video. One of the worst of the year. Made for four reasons:
    1.Samuel L. Jackson
    2.cool title
    3.cool logo
    4.catch phrase

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Great review! Got a relative in the states to grab one at Circuit City with the bonus disc. Should get it in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the following from this film:

1) Snakes
    2) Samuel L. Jackson
    3) Lots of violence
    4) A fun couple of hours.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Yeah, that and the lack of french all over the packaging would be nice.

I'll add to your list:

5) Gratuitous nudity (which is actually a build-up to a very funny/nasty moment)
    6) Funny stereotypical characters
    7) Thunderous DTS sound
    8) Samuel L. Jackson (he deserves to be mentioned twice)

Did anyone notice that the opening sequence of the main menu is in 5.1?

At least that's what my receiver flagged it as. I've never known any DVD to have a surround sound main menu.

Don't forget to check out the easter egg on the TV Spots menu!

It's great!

The fact that all the extras (except the TV spots) are anamorphic is a nice touch.

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I take it you don't own any other New Line dvds then because almost all the ones I've got have 5.1 menus.

Sound here is awesome, which is great since I upgraded my speaker system to 7.1 just last year.

8. Nicholas Martin

That's right. I don't have any other New Line DVDs.

It is a nice touch though, isn't it?

9. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

The DVD missed a prime opportunity to do what the Sin City dvd did--provide a screening audio track for opening night.

Because without a drunken crowd of people in on the joke on opening night, this movie loses about 75% of it's enjoyability factor. If they'd somehow managed to trap that screening vibe on audio somehow, maybe precede the picture with that internet documentary, then I think you'd have something. But the movie, by itself, removed from the hoopla and the opening night crowd of freewheeling nerds actually pulling off some decent MST3K, is sorely lacking.

if such a feature had been included, I might have actually bought it.

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The reviews I looked at before yours pretty much said the same thing. It's on my list now thanks for the confirmation review.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

That is what I've heard. I've heard a lot of good reviews from people who saw it with a fun audience. But, watching it on DVD, I thought it was a terrible film. Not entertaining in the least.

As for the list of reasont to see it, Samuel L. Jackson has 106 credits on his filmography. Probably 90% are more fun than this. And there is only one brief nude scene. Hardly a reason to buy it.

I don't know. I'd highly advise against blind buying it, unless you plan on having a big party with lots of alcohol served.

Buy the AIRPORT films instead. Or any of Sam's other films.

12. Nicholas Martin

The only reasons that matter are Sam Jackson, snakes, and a plane. The nudity was just a funny/freaky moment.

'Plane' and simple.

As Jackson as said many times, you either want to see it or you don't.

It's worth at least a rental.

13. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Did anyone pick up the bonus disc at Circuit City? What is on it? Is it still available?

14. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist
    Supporter

Paul
    One has to draw a line is the sand SOMEWHERE when it comes to bad movies. Snakes On A Plane was for me what we call in Dublin, "A pile of shite", and I mark the sand thus. I have more respect for myself and my film collection to go near this on DVD. (I'm a projectionist. Theatrical viewing was unavoidable. At least I was getting paid to sit there).

15. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I watched the movie tonight, I liked it very much. It's not a worldwide blockbuster but as a sort-of sci-fi type disaster film, I really enjoyed it. Fun Fun movie.

16. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I don't know if I should buy this or hold out for a HD release. I'm ready to have a Snakes On a MUTHA F_ING Plane Night, including lots of alcohol. This is a definite party movie if it's to be enjoyed.

RobertAnthony, that is one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard. That kind of track for a movie like this would have been superb.

17. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

This was fun to watch once in the theater. Its not the camp classic it was made out to be but go in expecting a cliched action thriller with some CGI snakes and you'll have a good time. I can't watch it again, though!