What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sin City - RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the covers for the R3 for someone who asked.

Images removed by forum owner due to the fact
they did not show up and instead became an
advertisement for another website

Its really a dual cover you can open up and have gail or close and have Dwight or vice-versa!

and a note book you get with it

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Thanks Brent, your equipment is very nice too lol Yeah, this tv and dvd player combo really impresses me and if you haven't had yours calibrated call Gregg as it goes from wow to WOWWWWWWW! after the isf calibration.

I need to watch this dvd again this weekend to take it all in as it really is visually stunning for a standard def dvd. I can only imagine what the hidef dvd will look like when it comes out. I would bet right now it'll be the reference dvd for hidef when it comes out...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

The clean-ringing that shows up on a few scenes (if you're close enough) in Sin City and on many other Disney-released DVDs may or may not be compression noise. Mosquito-noise is the most common "ringing" that shows up from compression...and it's more noisy and it "crawls".

The kind of ringing that looks clean like this may or may not be deliberatly applied...but I have a hard time concluding that it's compression-related. It *may* be a product of the MPEG encoder that is used...some such encoders apply a mild boosting of vertical HF as a matter of course...unless they are specially calibrated to avoid this. I think that's the case with many Buena Vista DVDs. That's not exactly compression...it's electronic boosting but it may be happening without the compressionist or mastering engineer intending to do it knowingly.

While I agree with RAH on many many points regarding DVD presentation of film media, I take issue with the notion that DVD is "NTSC". It's not. Laserdisc was NTSC and many artifacts were unavoidable. The fact taht I can pull a 720 x 480 progressive-encoded image right off a DVD, scale it to 1280 x 720, and send it to my display all in the digital domain is decidedly NOT NTSC. It's standard-definition digital processing.

Also, the fact that there are many DVDs that exhibit no "ringing" at all indicates that it's not a unavoidable byproduct of compression that we need to accept. Many ringing-free titles are not even using a very high bit-rate.

I do concur that the use of the term "ringing" is preferred over EE..."ringing" doesn't try to identify *why* it's there...just what it looks like.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I put together some screenshots that I guess I'll go ahead and post here.

The Babes of Basin City:

"She shivers in the wind like the last leaf on a dying tree."

"She smells like angels oughta smell...Goldie. She says her name is Goldie."

Or is it...Wendy? "I guess she was the nice one."

"Lucille's my parole officer. She's a dyke, but god knows why."

"So how's the barmaid? You know, the one that never shuts up?"

"All kinds of death is about to hit less than twenty yards ahead of us. And still it's hard to take my eyes off her."

"Oh, sugar...you just gone and done the dumbest thing in your whole life."

"Skinny little Nancy Callahan. She grew up...she filled out."

"Deadly little Miho." Hey...Miho...Me Ho...get it?

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Just watched this movie again last night and it gets better every time. I saw it in the theater the first time and watched it with two people who I knew wouldnt like it, but I needed someone to go with that night haha.
I loved it in the theater but the setting wasnt right, crappy theater and two people who I knew didnt care to be there.

The visuals in this movie are just incredible and I caught so much more this viewing than I did the first time. Also having seen more of the original stuff done in the graphic novels by Frank Miller I have a new respect for the translation of the book into the movie. Credit must be given To Robert Rodriguez for his faithfullness to the books and artwork of Miller. Everything I have read or heard (all speculation of course) about the second one makes my mouth water already for the sequel.

I cant wait to watch it again now. :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Frank Miller will come up a new titular sort of phrase, so that it would be something like "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" (not precisely that, but something like it).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Join the club, Brent!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
You know I hate to say it but Alba just doesnt do it for me. I Dont think she has that pretty of a face, but the body.....DAMN :D
Rosario Dawson is the one im looking at. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks