What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Amen. Are you sure we're talking about the same film here, Tino? I know your crazy, but I didn't think you were that crazy :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In Tino's defense, there is a lot of awkward dialogue. I mentioned this in my review - I really didn't care for the faux western stuff, especially when spewed by Kaylee (an otherwise very likable character). I enjoyed the movie despite no Firefly background, but the dialogue was a turn-off for me...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I saw this in the theater having never seen Firefly. I was rather luke warm on it, but decided to check out Firefly anyway. After watching the first half of the first episode, I ordered the set.

I finally finished the season (loving *every* minute of it--how did Fox drop the ball on this?), then watched Serenity again (last night). Wow. I love this film now, and rate it up there among the best of '05. The series makes you care about the characters, and that makes all the difference for the film.

So those who claim that a knowledge of the series isn't necessary aren't entirely correct, IMHO. You can follow the movie, but you won't care about it as much.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I may be crazy if I am contemplating finishing this apparent turd. :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Are you proving his point? He's watched 25% of it and is commenting on that 25%. I disagree with him, but he's hardly talking about something he hasn't seen. Digging that quote up and trying to throw it back at him, besides being a bit juvenile, is textually incorrect.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I also agree with Colin that as much as I like Jewel Staite and her character, she has ZERO skill at delivering Joss' faux western dialogue. After a rewatch last week, I still think it's a very strong film, lots of fun, and pretty smart as well.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
CES started today in Vegas folks. Apparently Universal has announced Serenity will be one of its ten initial HD-DVD titles, avaliable in March. Kickass!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Absolutely. I've been watching a lot of HDTV lately, so much so that DVDs are starting to look "off" to my eyes. Then, my wife made the same comment the other night watching "Serenity."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Thanks Chuck.

And thanks Henry for proving my point. I still stand by those comments too.

I have now suffered thru half the film and it hasn't gotten any better. Torturous.

I will finish this film and post my brief comments here and more thoro comments in the official discussion thread.....after I have watched the whole bloody thing! :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, I'm not trying to ruffle the feathers of Serenity's fans.

It's just that I was really looking forward to this film from all the comments here and am astounded by how bad it is so far. I bought the film sight unseen.

It's just incredibly disappointing to me. :frowning:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm - I feel it is one of the movie's and the series's strong points.

Tino! No - a thousand times No! Say it isn't so. Is this the end of our synchronicity in opinions.

Perhaps you should start with the TV series first?

Brandon Klassen

Auditioning
Yeah... the only part of the movie that felt awkward to me was Simon's first appearance in the ship, talking to Mal. It was so stiff, and unconvincing... and eventually just bad.

But, everywhere else to me, the dialogue just hits home. It's perfectly written, timed and delivered.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I definitely think Serenity without the series as a lead-in would be much less effective and maybe even perceived as amateurish. Imagine seeing SW: Return of the jedi without seeing ANH and TESB? Would seem like a merely competent SF fantasy film with decent FX. But as the conclusion of the OT, it seems much better because we are invested in the characters.
We still love Han Solo's character (even though he REALLY phoned in his performance IMHO) because of what we saw in the first (better) 2 films.

I dunno, just a thought. Sorry you didn't dig it Tino.

:) happy new year, y'all!!!!

Brandon Klassen

Auditioning
LOL, what a comparison. Anyway, I do agree. Having seen the series first, I have much more investment in the Serenity characters and their stories. However, I think Whedon did an amazing job of making the movie accessible both to those who hadn't seen the series first and those who had. The opening sequence of Serenity is one of the best opening sequences to a movie that I've ever seen.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I know Brandon, wacky comparison. I got a wee bit drunk last nite and fell down a flight of stairs at 6am going to the bathroom and got all messed up. I'm on painkillers now so my brain is a little wonky.
I was a BIG Firefly fan going in to SERENITY so I only experienced it as a fan who knew everything.
It took me about 1/2 of the first Firefly ep: to "get it" and I came in being a HUGE Joss fan.

:) d

Brandon Klassen

Auditioning
I think it took me a couple episodes to get it. It didn't seem that interesting to me at all when I first started watching the pilot "Serenity" - between the opening war scene (is this going to be another Space Above & Beyond?) and the horses in the opening credits (way too western for me to handle), I stopped right then and there. But then I went to back it.

For those who aren't enjoying the movie, I would like to hear well-stated reasons why you didn't like it, besides just saying it was bad. I haven't paid complete attention throughout this entire thread so maybe some already have, but yeah. I'm happy to have an honest discussion on any particular point. Of course, it may well be you just didn't like something, and there's no arguing over anyone's individual taste.

What I find cool is that people are just buying the DVD without knowing much about it. And the fans are buying tons of DVDs for people they know. It seems the DVD sales and rentals are doing very well, and that bodes well for the future continuation of the Firefly story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks