What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Seabiscuit (Very Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
GREAT review.

I never managed to see this in the theater. Because of this review, I'll buy the DVD sight-unseen.

Thanks.

dave :)

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I haven't seen this movie overhere in the cinemas yet but I am now seeing it on the basis of the review
not sure about scotland but here in the midlands it showed for exactly one week.
I`ll either buy this blind or give it a rental depending on my xmas budget.

Great review, Jason. I also think that the cover deserves praise as it is one of the best ones I have seen all year.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My G/F dragged me to this, and I thought Id hate it.

Its still the best film Ive seen all year. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This was the best film of 2003 and it will be a crime if this doesn't get nominated for best picture and a few best actor nods.
I second that! I do not see how the Academy could overlook the performances, heck the horse that played Seabiscuit should be nominated.

Anyway, this should be a purchase for everyone, regardless of if you have seen it yet or not. It's that good!

Hi Lux - interesting to see you on here, too!

This was indeed an excellent review, but I cannot understand why everyone seems to love this movie. I thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

True, the cinemtography was excellent (some of the POV shots during races were superb), and the acting was good. But, the story?

I mean, come on

horse gets injured, jockey gets injured in exactly the same way. Neither will race again - but hey presto! They do!

Boring and predictable rubbish.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I absolutely despise the game of football (hold your flames, please), yet I thoroughly enjoy the movies NORTH DALLAS FORTY, THE LONGEST YARD, and SEMI TOUGH. Most sports movies are about far more than the sport.

Thankyou for that article.

Warning - if I address any spoilers that he has not covered then I will not cover either - as he has already revealed them. If I add any new ones, I will of course be considerate towards those who haven't seen the film, and cover them......

The point is - the vet never said what Seabiscuit's injury was. Yet it was categorically made out to be career ending in the film. In real life, this wasn't the case.

He came back to win the race, only because the second placed horse (from the same stable) allwed him to win.

I will not add any more. Your article backs up my case very nicely, thankyou!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Great review Jason. Thank you.

My wife has seen this movie 6 times and we can't wait for the DVD. I think it was far and away one of the best films of the year. :)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
For anybody who is thinking about purchasing the collector's set from Canada, the cover is not bilinugal! I'm sure the one on the single disc edition is. Thought this might be of interested.

Chris

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I bought the single-disc version from Wallyworld today and it seems a bit.....odd. First of all, there is no insert, which is not totally unusual as this happens on occasion w/ some releases. Can anyone else confirm an insert or lack of one?

Second, the back of the case apparently had a sticker on it and it was removed. This just seems very suspect coming from a (supposedly) factory-sealed unit...

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Tim, I got my copy from Wal-Mart as well. No insert in mine, just a coupon for a contest. Did you notice the case, though? I've never seen one like it. It snaps shut like a normal non-snapper but it also has 2 locking tabs that can be snapped shut.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Jeff, that case has been used before for the DVD release of Star Trek: Nemesis...throws me for a loop every time I try to open the damn thing w/o remembering to open those little tabs :)

Jim-M

Second Unit
Is there a theatrical trailer for Seabiscuit on the single disc version? Maybe as an easter egg?

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I rented this DVD last night and was really impressed with the picture quality. Also the cinematography is so beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks