What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sahara (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I got a chance to watch this today. I found it enjoyable but not that great.

Once they found that hazardous waste plant I thought it went all downhill. Does a train actually exist in Africa??? And the whole idea of how the troops surrendered at the end was just stupid.

Thank goodness Cruz was in it though, she's always eye candy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched this last night. We're sueing the filmmakers to get compensated for the 2 wasted hours of our lives we'll never get back.

Sahara is one of the most preposterously dumb movies I've seen in a looong time. Suspension of disbelief doesn't even begin to cover the problems with the story and script. McConaughey was totally wrong for the role of Dirk Pitt, projecting a slightly more serious twist on the same one-note frat-boy/surfer-dude swagger he's become known for. I don't think he's done anything even remotely interesting since Lone Star in 1996. Penelope Cruz, despite being the best looking part of the film, stumbled through her portrayal of a W.H.O. field M.D. like a malfunctioning Stepford wife. William H. Macy phoned in his relatively small supporting role to collect a paycheck and a gift subscription to "Cigar Aficiondo". The only saving grace in the cast was Steve Zahn, but it's hard to play the comic relief when there's really nothing to play off of.

Sahara came off like a pretty bad made-for-TV movie with a huge budget, replete with the same one dimensional "bad guy" (Lennie James) that I've seen in a hundred other bad movies. I was very disappointed in the film, but the transfer sure does look good. :D

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I won't be sueing but then I didn't have as much of my time wasted. I hit "stop" after about 55 minutes, and I never turn a movie off, until now.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You know, when I went to see it at the cheap theater, I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed the film for what it was. Sure, the plot is pretty brainless, but it seems like the people in the film realised this as well, and just had fun with it, and that really comes across.

While I wouldn't own it, I do think it is worth a rental.

Jason

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Well while it isn't shakespeare, I found it to be moderately well done, and Steve Zahn, he's always a hoot, just watching him act, facial expressions alone are plain funny.

So kick back and enjoy it, it ain't that bad guys!
G2

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
great sound.
decent video.
fun movie.

good in the sense there were no predictable romantic mush scenes you were just waiting to happen ala THE MUMMY etc.

going Bollywood?

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I actually enjoyed it. It was a fun movie. It pays great homage to the Indiana Jones films of the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks