What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Runaway Jury" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Agreed.

Runaway Jury is a superb entertainment with a to quality dvd.

and the Cusack kid isn't half bad.

Also recommended from these quarters.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great review Adam. I really fell for this movie too. I'm glad this still works after your 3 viewings. I was worried that with so much revealed would this movie still hold up with repeat viewings???? Guess so. And really glad the transfer is wonderful. A definite purchase for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
When I saw this in the theater, I was particularly aware of (and annoyed by) those red copy-protection dots appearing several times during the washroom scene. Adam, can you please confirm that those dots are not present on the DVD?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
My favorite movie of last year after LOTR: ROTK. Fast paced, well written and great performances. One of the few time I was so involved in the film that I forgot to look at my watch until the end.

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
Great review, Adam.

I didn't see this in the theater but I'll be buying this one blind without hesitation.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Great review, Adam. Looks like I'll have to add this to my list. I've never seen the film, but I have read the book, which is quite good.

I must admit I'm somewhat ambivalent about the "long synopsis". I don't like it when a review describes the plot in too much detail, and I believe the long synopsis comes uncomfortably close to doing that. I don't want to know everything that happens in a movie before I see it. I usually stay away from reading Roger Ebert's reviews reprinted in my local paper because I think he says too much about the plot of the movies he reviews. So please be judicious in the long synopses you include if they give away too much of the film. Just my opinion, obviously.

Thanks for the thorough review.

Steve K.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Great review! The only little teensy nitpick I have is that the movie's soundtrack was encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1, not mixed in it. :D

Usually, today's film soundtrack masters are recorded using uncompressed, multitrack PCM 24/48 or 24/96 technology.

Dan

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Sorry Dan, you are correct. I will go back and change it.

Can I get anymore input on the "Long Synopsis" section. Do you guys prefer they are.... "IN"... or ... "OUT"

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care whether it's a short or long synopsis - either would work for me. What's more important to me is:

a) what your impressions of the movie were - your enjoyment level, etc. We all know this is subjective, but I enjoy learning what others thought of a movie - in what way they were entertained (different flics can entertain in different ways...)

b) the picture quality - combined with a example descriptions of the visuals in the movie itself (i.e. does the movie have a colorful palette, is it dark, etc).

c) audio quality (including genera level of surround activity, LFE presence, etc).

Supplemental material rarely influences my purchases, however I do skim quickly through that part of a review to find out if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Obviously, everyone's opinion will vary... Oh, and I apologize if all you really wanted was a simple "short" or "long" response... :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the press release synopsis os nice but i prefer the reviewer's opinion of the movie not the pump it up press piece.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Great review Adam. I haven't had the chance to see this film but looks like I'll need to add it to the list...

dave :)

Eric Estrada

Agent
Thanks for the review Adam. I'm glad to see the video presentaion is awesome. Great film, great cast, and great script. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Even though the book was much better (my favorite Grisham to date) since it could go into more detail about Nick's control over the jury, and Fitch's attempts to regain it, the movie did it justice (no pun intended). The switch to the gun company over the tobacco industry was handled well, and the portryals of the characters was excellent. This was a great rental, and I may end up purchasing it.

Great review Adam, and if you are keeping score, I prefer the personal thoughts on movies over the press-release synopsis too.

Chris

Harlan

Agent
Great review but unfortunately I did not like the movie. There was much to much propaganda for my tastes.

Bomber

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I think it would have worked much better using cigarettes (which I believe they did in the book) than with guns. Finding a gun company liable for murders? Come now.

I liked the movie and good review. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks