What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Road To Perdition" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Road To Perdition is just a fine crafted, gorgeous to look at old-time gangster tale with a great story and superb cast. It's just short of becoming a masterpiece.

My favorite film of last year and I agree that it may be just a bit short as Ron says.

The look of this film has been commented on so much that I was very glad when it won an Oscar. The look to me was nostalgic in that it took me back to my youth. The story is not about the son, but the whole look of the film draws you into the perspective on a 10-12 year old. It is almost as if you have blinders on and only get to see what is in front of you and close up. A gun case is thrown in the back seat of a model A and you get to study the texture of the case, and of the fabric of the seat. A very unusual cinematic treatment, but very very much appreciated.

The look was very good at conveying that drab, gray, overcast, snow covered, rainy look of winter. The DVD is not off, that is the way it is supposed to look.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
what a horrible, horrible looking DVD. excessively soft (surely it couldn't have looked this soft in theatres? it looks out of focus much of the time) complimented with obnoxious amounts of halo enhancement (ee & mpeg varieties). agreed, cinematograpy is very impressive, but only on a smaller display where the softness and haloing are not an issue. very much spoilt much of its impact for me on a bigger screen.

dreamworks seem to blow hot & cold with their DVDs. some get great transfers (chicken run, hollywood ending) and others don't (this one). i've totally lost confidence in this studios ability to produce quality product. if only this film had been in the hands on warner. i'm sure it would have turned out much better ...

:frowning:

Dan M

Second Unit
Count me in with those who find this to be a lackluster transfer. For such a major title and coming from Dreamworks, I was expecting referance quality.

I have no problem with the intended look of the film (in fact I applaud it) but I saw an extreme amount what appears to be EE or some kind of haloing going on. I try not to notice it but once you see EE, you never can get over it, it seems. It constantly reminds me that I'm watching video :frowning:

Does anyone know why studios still use EE in this day and age when they're bound to know it's not necessary?? Why is it that I can watch Ghost Ship with a perfect, non EE infested image and not Road to Perdition?

BTW, Warner Bros. seems to be the most consistent studio with best transfers here lately IMO. At least the titles that I've seen recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks