What's new

HTF Review: Quantum Leap - The Complete First Season (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i hope they do that i would like to see it.

why is it spoiled?
if it is a premise for a show wouldnt that be what the show is about and would be known anyway?

i want this set badly but have to wait till i have money.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Wow, I haven't seen these original openings in years. Speaking of the openings, has anyone noticed on the DVD set that "Play it Again, Seymour" seems to have a title sequence from a later season? I was really worried at first that it might be a cut version of the episode, but it runs around 47 minutes, about the same as the rest. And it wouldn't be the syndicated version, as those used the 4th season opening for all the episodes.

Anyone know what happened here? Not really a huge deal, I guess; as long as the episode itself isn't cut, I don't really mind. It's just kind of weird.

I dunno; it was moved a couple of times, but I don't think sports was ever a big factor. IIRC, it was on Fridays for the first season, then Wednesday for most of its run (with a brief move back to Fridays for part of its 3rd season). Then it was on Tuesdays for most of its 5th season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot. I had only seen it once back when the series was still on the air, and I thought it was two full-length leaps. The second leap was basically to clue the audience to the fact that Sam would be leaping into many different lives, and it had a very nice little character moment.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Oh believe me, I too would have liked a nice long 26 season run like Doctor Who enjoyed. Of course I thought 26 seasons was too short for Doctor Who, too. :)

I guess I'm a Glass-half-full kind of guy. With constant risk of cancelation the show was under, we're lucky to get the 5 seasons we got.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Man, seriously -- 5 seasons. That can be a lot. In fact, most shows have already cashed out every good idea by the time they reach 5 seasons. Most shows start to go downhill by then (see "The West Wing", which primarily has to do with Sorkin/Schlamme's departure). I would have been THRILLED just to get a SECOND season of Freaks & Geeks!

Not saying QL had expended every good idea or that it was going downhil. But it DID have a good run. :)

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Wait... the episodes have the original openings? You mean, Scott's little monologue about being like the Lone RAnger ("It all started when a time travel experiment I was conducting..."), as opposed to Deborah Pratt's narration (the saga sell: "Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime...")?

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I haven't watched the last two episodes yet, and apparently the last episode in the set, Play It Again Seymour, has a different opening, but so far all of the others have the opening with Scott's monologue.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great review for a great show! I saw it today at Best Buy. Kind of on the bubble right now. Mainly due to price.

It was a show that I went out of my way to tune in for. For me there hasn't been too many shows I can say that about.

Thanks again!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

I went on an easter egg hunt and found 3 eggs, all located on disc 1.

1) Go to "Episode Index". Highlight "Menu", then press right. A "Leaping Sam" shape appears. Press enter.

2) Go to "Languages". Highlight "Français", then press left. A "Leaping Sam" shape appears. Press enter.

3) Go to "Bonus Materials". Highlight "A Kiss with History", then press right. A "Leaping Sam" shape appears. Press enter.

Not sure if there are any more, those are all I could find.

Cheers,
Chris

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I bought the collection in Canada for $46.99. For the amount of episodes that worked out to be about $5.00 per episode. That is really not bad. If StarTrek Voyager would have been at that price point I would have bought it. I cannot wait to see more of the episodes on Disk.

Did anyone have any sink problems with disk 2? The first episode for me was off at the start for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Is ALL the music absolutely there? I noticed in "How The Tess Was Won" that there was a version of "Lovesick Blues" and "Cold, Cold Heart". Both were originally made famous by Hank Williams, Sr but these are sung by someone else. Are these the versions that were originally used?

Randy

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

No offense, but I hope that's a player-related issue. Anyone gotten there yet to confirm or dispute? I've still only seen the pilot thus far.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
None on my Pioneer either.

Wow, it didn't take me very long to breeze through this set! I was pleasantly surprised by how good and focused this show was so early on in its run.

Also, as a classic film fan, I just have to say that I love how each episode seems to pay homage to films that were released around the time that each episode is taking place!

For instance, in "How the Tess Was Won", several similarities between the story and the 1956 (same year and everything) Best Picture nominee George Stevens' "Giant" were evident. Both took place in Texas on ranches named 'Riata'. Both featured a horse that would only allow the leading lady to ride it. And both featured colorful commentary on the way of the Texan. The only thing missing from the QL story was good ol' James Dean. :)

I also really enjoyed the Bogart/"Casablanca" references in "Play It Again, Seymour". Really fun show. I hope that soon we will find out when we'll be able to get our hands on season 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks