What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition" (screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
RORY M. -- thanks for the information, but I was really wondering if the music had been "brought up" and more "up front" with this new release? You've said the audio is better than the previous disc; would this include the score?
It seemed buried on the first release at times.

Rory*M

Grip
To reply to Joe Lozo: Yes! The music has been "brought up" in the new release -- "brought up" to its proper level that is. The audio mix on the old DVD release was something of a mess, not as bad as the first widescreen laserdisc release in 1991, but far from what the movie originally sounded like in theatres and when it was first on video in mono in the 1980s. Goldsmith's score was always dominate in the mix (I can vividly remember its 'loudness' in the theatres back when I was a kid.), that is until Fox messed with it. When, in the late 80s, Chase Productions were hired by Fox to give POTA a "stereo surround" soundtrack -- because Fox couldn't locate the original stereo masters -- Chase decided to emphasize the effects tracks over the music tracks in their new audio mix. I guess no one at Fox cared or more probably even noticed. This was retained in the improved THX picture and audio transfer -- improved because they now used the actual stereo master session tapes of the score -- done in 1995 but not released on video until 1998, on laserdisc in 1999, and finally on DVD in 2000. I wrote several letters to Fox to let them know that at least one fan was still uphappy with the sound, especially the low level of the score, and it seems they have tried to improve it. Just compairing the audio between the two DVDs by listening with headphones reveals much improved stereo separation and directionality. And, yes, the music is louder and should be. As I said before, I don't think this is the original stereo mix from 1967, but with the exception of the still missing directional dialogue (which isn't done these days with widescreen films because they all end up in home theatres where the left and right speakers are off to the sides of the image), Fox has this time finally done a pretty good audio mix for POTA. I'm geerally pleased with and hope that other fans are too.

Jonathan F

Auditioning
I was quite shocked by the level of grain in the last shot (guess that's the trade-off with the improved detail in this new release!)

Presumably that's a result of the way the shot was achieved - one pass through the optical printer to combine the matte painting, and then a second to produce the faux-zoom effect? That's a few generations before it even reached the original master...

(by the way, thanks Rory for the info on the various sound mixes - I often wondered which version was the most faithful)

Rory*M

Grip
Yes,I too was bothered by the level of grain, and flicker, in the famous final shot, but it is a process shot done over 35 years go and probably three generations away from the original film elements. I was hoping Fox would go back to the original negatives of 1) the beach shot, and 2) the matte painting shot (which is not only the statue but the sky too). However, I guess that would either cost too much to do, or those original elements no longer exist.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Don't ask me how to explain it, but the grain of the final shot WORKS. It's like when that camera pulls back and shows us the ending, there is a feeling of something "unreal" or "unlike the rest". I don't know how else to explain it... but it really makes the moment hit home better, and I think it was probably intended.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah.
its a bit like introducing documentary footage in the last moments to support the ficitional thesis of the rest of the film.

the grain, whether it was intentional or not, imparts a feeling of authenticity/ historical veracity.

most likely, just a happy accident-

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally buckled down and bought the disc and was disappointed to find out that the musical score was still low in the background, while sound effects of astronauts walking on the sand, horses galloping, waves crashing, wagons rolling and gunshots were all brought up into the foreground. To my ears, it's just as unappealing as the first DVD mix.

Perhaps this strikes me this way because I grew up loving the APES films and recorded them off television as a kid with my audio recorder. As a result, I am used to hearing the movie a certain way, and it was NOT with sound effects pounding as you strained to hear the Jerry Goldsmith music underneath it.

The cover of the new release is dreary and abysmal and as has been mentioned, the shots are from various other films (like the CONQUEST cover and General Ursus from BENEATH).

As a diehard fan, this re-issue was noteworthy to me only for the extensive Roddy McDowall home movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks