What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pearl Harbor" The Director's Cut (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Margo

Agent
I had a step-father for awhile who was a little boy at Pearl Harbor on the day that it was attacked. When I asked him where he was during the attack he told me that he was on a baseball field playing ball. So I never questioned what was going on in the movie when the Japanese planes flew over. I found that sequence to have been very beautifully filmed as well. I'm looking forward to getting the director's version. :)

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
Including my opinion into the pile...
Although this "Director's Cut" looks amazingly cool, the movie itself, inaccurate or not, was really bad.
With such lines as "Get them Jap suckers!", I just can't stand to bear another viewing.
Everyone keeps saying that this is a good "popcorn" movie, yet the Director's intentions were obviously to make more than a "popcorn" movie. And he failed miserably.
Disclaimer: These are my opinions of the movie and you're free to ignore them if you choose.
Andy

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

There is a rebate form inside the DVD which asks for the proof of purchase tab from the Vista series dvd and a photocopy of the proof of pruchase from the 60th anniversay edition. Then you also need a copy of only the Vista edition receipt.

Follow those steps, send it to the address and you have $10.

For those of us with it earily though, it says it must be postmarketed after July 2, 2002. I almost sent it off, glad I checked that.

-- Matt

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I almost forgot to ask. I liked Pearl Harbor, but I did not like "Saving Private Ryan," and my question is, judging from that, do you think that I would like "Black Hawk Down?" I have not seen it yet, and didn't want to spend money renting it, when I can buy it for just a few dollars more. Do I have a chance of hating it as much as "Saving Private Ryan"?

Mark E J

Second Unit
Andy,

Let me start by first saying you are intitled to your opinion on the film and I will not question it. But I wanted to point out that the "Jap suckers" line was very accurate to the anger that the sailors and pilots felt that day. You see, most of the enlisted men and low level officers had no idea of the tensions between America and Japan. To them the attack came completely out of the blue.

Matt,
I was wondering if you noticed any other scene that was removed. I remember David Prior confirming here awhile back that he knew of three scenes that would be removed.

One scene I would have removed if I had any say was the scene where Danny returns Evelyn's hankerchief in the middle of the night. That scene was so cliched and pointless that it really astounded me that it was in the film.

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,

That depends, why did you hate SPR? If it was because it had great battle scenes at the begining and the end but nothing in between but a bunch of people making speeches. Then you might like BHD as it is pretty much one long battle scene. But if did not like SPR because of it's graphic in your face depiction of war's carnage then I'd avoid BHD

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
How come whenever people discuss this and the LOTR:FOTR extended as potential best of the year DVD's, nobody mentions the upcoming Black Hawk Down SE as a contender? Although no specs have been announced, it's going to be 3 discs (according to dvdfile) which would afford it as much disc space for extras as PH and LOTR, plus we already know from the current release that the transfer will be reference quality.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Mark,

I didn't like it because of the subject matter. I'm not talking about War, since I actually like war films, but about trying to look for 1 brother of 4. I didn't care much for that story line. It didn't interest me at all.

On the other hand, I also didn't like any of the attack sequences in SPR, because of how helpless all of the characters seemed. In the beginning battle, we see Tom Hanks' group being shot at, and of course, they do nothing but stand there and die. How come they never fired their weapons towards the enemies? That battle did not satisfy me at all.

The middle (filler) was all a whole bunch of boring scenes (in my opinion) thrown together to make the longest movie in history. Well, they succeeded. That movie felt like I was watching a 5,000 hour movie that never seemed to end.

The ending battle also did not satisfy me at all. In fact, I thought it was way too long and drawn out (like the rest of the movie). I have a very short attention span, and when something doesn't interest me right away, I end up being really bored by it, and won't enjoy any of it.

Pearl Harbor on the other hand, had to do with this love triangle which we've seen many, MANY times in 1,000s of different movies, but for me, that never seems to get old. I end up really liking movies that have a love story to tell. (i.e. Titanic).

Anyway, that's not the only reason I like Pearl Harbor. There are many elements which work for me, in the film. The war scenes are very nice to look at; the whole movie is shot beautifully, and I love the look of filters, which this movie plays a lot with (although SPR also had tons of filters). Plus, it helps that the main characters are very good looking. Take for example Evelyn's character played by Kate Beckinsale. In my opinion, she is extremely beautiful to look at, and it makes the movie watching experience fun. All of the other nurses were really beautiful too.

SPR, did not have too many women...In fact, I don't think it had any women what-so-ever. Now, don't take this as, I only watch movies to see women, that's simply not true, but it does help you enjoy the movie more.

Wow, I can't believe how long i've rambled on. I was just answering your question on why I hated SPR, and I can see from what I just typed, that I didn't succeed in answering your question. I'm sorry.

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,

After reading your comments I'd say rent BHD. You might like it. There really is no "storyline" per say here, it is a document of a real incident. SPR while inspired by real incidents was still fiction. BHD if fact, all of the characters are real people and their actions are 90% accurate to real life.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
One interesting point that hasn't been raised is the changes made to the film for some foreign audiences. Apparently, the film was considered too "gung-ho" and America-centric by Disney's overseas operations and some edits were made to tone the film down in places. I also understand that the film was edited again for Japanese audiences. Was any of this discussed on the DVD?

Mark E J

Second Unit
I saw the overseas version and the changes are almost unnoticeable. Just a few alterations of dialouge.

1 Danny says "I think WWII just hit us" instead of "Just started"

2 When Dolittle says that if his plane is shot down over Japan he'll crash it into the best military target he can find, the line "And kill as many of those bastards as I can" is omited.

3 In the final voiceover Evelyn says "WWII changed America". In the overseas version this line includes "And the world".

That's about it.

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
Mark E J,

Coming from my Grandfather who is a veteran Air Force pilot, > 80 yrs old, his reaction after that line:

"Get them Jap suckers!"

(Grandpa) {chuckle} {roll eyes}

(Grandpa)If you've ever flown combat, you know there is no time to even say "Get them Jap suckers!"

Andy

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I won't be getting this set any time soon.....that's because my brother is getting it, and I'll be watching his copy. :D
Paging Mr. Edwin Pereya, paging Mr. Edwin Pereya regarding historical inaccuracies. :D

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

Those were the only two scenes I noticed. I have seen the movie probably 5 times. And those are the ones that jumped out at me. If there is a third one, I am not sure what it was. Not saying that their isn't, but I just did not notice it.

-- Matt

Mark E J

Second Unit
Thanks Matt. So I guess the hankerchief scene remains :rolleyes.
Andy,
Your Granfather is right, they wouldn't have time to say that in combat. But then again they wouldn't have time to say any of the dialouge in combat. They would be thinking it though and films always have people saying things they would never vocalize in real life for the benifit of the viewer.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I personally did not like this film when I saw it last summer. I waited out for the Director's Cut since I read that violence will be increased and romance toned down. I have to say that it is 1 amazing presentation of a film. A real impressive DVD. I've only wached the attack scene and some supplements so far. I have to say that the attack scene is a new demo material for me when the guests come over. Audio (DTS) and video are top notch. I had forgotten how impressive and intense the attack sequence was.

Packaging is original and quite creative. However, the discs were not easy to take out and in. Disc is a definte buy in my book. I agree that Tora, Tora, Tora is a better film, but it's not a film I watch often and certainly no guests will ask to see it. I will demo the disc to guests coming over tomorrow and watch their reactions.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Sorry there Butch, but, I like this "popcorn garbage" so, I will re-buy it to send a message to make more films like this.
I agree with Ron E. and Ron P. I watch movies for the entertainment value. I can appreciate that, in some cases, the filmmakers do alter some historic scenes in the name of budget/time/dramatic license...and in some cases are FORCED to do said things because their bosses tell them to (just like us). Whatever. I loved this film. Loved the actors (who just happened to be hot) and loved the story. Bought the first DVD and will purchase the Director's Cut. No appologies. No regrets. Pass the popcorn and Margaritas. This is a M-O-V-I-E. So sit down and enjoy.

For those wanting total historic accuracy, simply pass the "Action" aisle of your local video store, and head to the "Documentary" section.

Brad M

Second Unit
Yeah yeah, let's get to the good stuff. Any truth to the rumor that we get to see Kate Beckinsale's butt? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks