What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: Recommended (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Edwin,

are you comparing the bitmap image on your PC screen to the R1 image on your TV/display? To be fair...they need to be viewed side-by-side on the same system...like doing a screen-capture of the R1 on your PC and then comparing to the R2 bitmap cap.

Of course, having just said that, let me mention that on my projector the image of the R1 looks very much like these R2 screen-caps in terms of color and definition (though I can't say anything definitive as I'm viewing them on two different displays). ;)

When you mention that the R1 has cropping...are you talking about how the image appears on your display or the image area that's actually captured in the 720 x 480 matrix? The reason I ask is that displays can (and should) always be calibrated for minimal overscan with today's digital sources, but you can't get back resolution you lose to needless windowboxing. I'm of the mindset that you don't compromise the source for improperly set-up displays...you encode the source with the highest fidelity possible and then leave it up to the enthusiasts who care to make sure that their displays are calibrated properly to make the most of it. I know on my DLP projector running DVI I have virtually no overscan at all...maybe just a pixel or two and it's wonderful to see movies with all that image area in tact. That's sort of accuracy for the future as well (and affordable accuracy in years to come)...the days of sloopy analog NTSC broadcasting that necessiated overscanning and CRT displays that had poor edge-edge linearity are through.

Of course, if the native 720 x 480 image on the R1 disc crops part of the image area directly, then that's a different matter. That's still not a good arguement for windowboxing though...but rather one for studios simply not cropping!

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks