What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: National Lampoon's Vacation - 20th Anniversary SE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Target (Walnut Creek, CA) had tons of them in stock for $14.95. However, you should do a weight check before buying... I got mine home only to find it had no disc! :eek:

-Lyle J.P.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What does everyone think of the picture quality. I am not that familiar with this film, although I have seen it a few times over the years. There were a few moments that distracted though.
1. The scene with Beverly D. in the shower....when Clark raises the knife, there is a jump cut of sorts. Has this always been there? It looks like the dvd picture just jumps.

2. The final scene and the end credits look a little shaky.

Other than that, I thought the transfer was very good. Any thoughts?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Without thinking about technical terms, let me just say it looks loads better than the old Fullscreen DVD. Not perfect, but I'm used to it looking like crap, so the new release is a very big improvement.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I'm not going to dump it! I'm sure someone will find something to complain about..but I thought it looked pretty good. I thought the introduction snip was a waste of time...but I'm happy with the disc and that it's finally in my library.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I went to our Wal-mart here (southeast alabama) and had no luck finding the new Vacation Dvd. They did have the old version of Vegas Vacation for $9.88 but i'm holding out for the new edition.
I asked when Vacation would be in stock and the answer i got was "no idea, just keep checking".
I will probably end up buying it online.

Davey M.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
got it from deepdiscountdvd.com for like 15 bucks. Kind of mad they lowered the price after release date, it makes pre-ordering kind of pointless...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
got it from deepdiscountdvd.com for like 15 bucks. Kind of mad they lowered the price after release date, it makes pre-ordering kind of pointless...
DDD has been doing this for quite a while now I believe. Pre-ordering from them is not advisable...the price a day or two later is almost always better.

I think they do this due to their "Price Matching" policy, which is not valid until the product is actually AVAILABLE. So they won't honor any Price Match request before street date. Hence, they lower their price on release date (or sometimes the day after).

Of course, they will then raise the price back up to where it was at Pre-Order (or higher) about a week later.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Well, it must be my disc.....the picture definitely jumps during the "shower scene"....I checked a friend's copy of the older disc and it doesn't do this.

Gary Schatz

Auditioning
Scott, it's not your disc. Mine does the same "jump" thing at the shower scene. I was wondering if it was present on the older disc, but apparently it's not!

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I know this is a little off topic, but does anybody
know who is going to be on the commentary for the
Christmas Vacation film? Thanks. ;)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Has anyone heard why there seems to be no copies of this at any Wal-Marts?

I ended up getting mine online, but I'm still curious.

I checked again today (the 24th) and still no copies at Wal-Mart and no one there seems to have any clue about the release. Why would they not stock this?

Steve_Klein

Agent
Hi all:

Is the new National Lampoon's Vacation DVD rescored to replace "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters during the Christie Brinkley / Ferrari scenes? Most video versions (including the previous R1 full-frame DVD) have this change, but I hope they got the rights this time around.

Thanks!

Steve_Klein

Agent
I'm So Excited was in the theatrical version and in most Pay TV showings and some (I think) home video versions. I think it's even listed in the end credits of every version regardless. It's how I first remember seeing it, and it fits the scene so well that I find it distracting when it's not there, replaced with the unknown Little Boy Sweet song. Actually, Little Boy Sweet may have been in the theatrical version; I think it was always in the picnic basket scene but when rights for I'm So Excited weren't obtained for video it was just reused for the Ferrari scene.

Brad M

Second Unit
1. The scene with Beverly D. in the shower....when Clark raises the knife, there is a jump cut of sorts. Has this always been there? It looks like the dvd picture just jumps.
2 things. First, I too noticed the sudden jump. I noticed it a few times while viewing the film. I thought it was my player acting up. Second, speaking of the shower scene, are we seeing less of Bev? I seem to remember seeing more, ah, :b , well, you know.

No, the new National Lampoon's Vacation DVD is not rescored to replace "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters during the Christie Brinkley / Ferrari scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks