What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Much Ado About Nothing" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
Does anyone know why I can't find this in Canada? Futureshop, A&B Sound, no one has it. Was it just released in the US? I can order it from Amazon.ca but it's too expensive that way.

Will it be released here later?

Thanks,
Chris.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
The bitrate is MUCH higher on this new disc that it was on the previous Columbia issue. I also felt there were minor compression problems with the Columbia release that were absent on this new MGM disc. It was worth the $10 I feel to upgrade.

Bitrates on Much Ado About Nothing
Average Bitrate on Columbia DVD - 4.99
Average Bitrate on MGM DVD - 7.18

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Having missed that this was coming out today, I was glad to have grabbed the single copy of this at my Best Buy.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I just finished watching it for the first time. Thanks for the recommendation, Ron! This is by far the most enjoyable Shakespeare production I've seen. Granted, I've only seen three before this, and only one out of those three was a non-tragedy (A Midsummer Night's Dream). The soundtrack was great as well; I just ordered the soundtrack used, and I can't wait to hear it! Oh, what the heck, I'll just pop the DVD back in right now. :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Much Ado About Nothing is one of my absolute favorite films so I'd also be very interested in a side by side comparison, as I own the Sony DVD which looks pretty good if not spectacular. If the transfer was at least as good I'd probably upgrade because of the new 6 minute featurette.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I love Shakespeare. Got the DVD yesterday from Best Buy, but haven't watched it yet. Just wanted to say that BB has it on now for $7.99, which might affect those on the fence as to whether to buy the DVD or rent it. At BB's price, it's only twice the price of a rental and there's no need to return it or worry about due dates.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing overly special here, and surprisingly
omitted, a commentary track by Kenneth Branagh.
Could someone clarify if there is or is not a commentary track?

MAAN is Kenneth Branagh's best work without a shadow of a doubt. Henry V was a creative take on the play which worked surprisingly well; MS's Frankenstine was a wee bit overdone, though a good movie all 'round; Hamlet was brilliantly filmed but poorly acted. MAAN may not be as action-packed as Henry V, as complex as MSsF, or as beautifully staged as Hamlet; but the acting and dialog are top-notch. Not only amazing as a shakespeare adaptation, but as a film all-around. I'm glad to see that it's getting a good transfer.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
For us Canadians, I received this from MGM Customer Support after inquiring about availability in Canada. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen MGM DVDs on shelves in Canada.
Could someone clarify this situation?

John Graves

Agent
Much Ado is one of our favorite films. We purchased the original letterboxed LV, and then the letterboxed DVD upon its release and watched is 20+ times. I saw the pre-order of the new release, but didn't find any explanation of differences. However, I said 'what the heck' and placed an order. The disc arrived, and sat on my desk for nearly a month before we got around to watching it.

Oh my goodness, what a difference! The new anamorphic transfer simply blows away the old letterboxed version. In every respect this is sooooo much better. Perhaps it is just our joy in the improved image quality, but even the audio (DD 2.0) sounds better!

This is the DVD to buy if you are even a marginal Shakespeare fan.
Good Viewing,
John G

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
watching it now,

transfer seems to be improved.

Columbia version had many compatibility issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks