What's new

HTF REVIEW: LOST - Seaon Two - Unquestionably Recommended (1 Viewer)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Finally got my copy of Lost Season 2 last night and watched ``Man of Science, Man of Faith'' again...I think I've seen it three times now. A good episode, and can't wait to watch the rest of the season especially since I missed some episodes in the early to mid-part of its run on air thanks to my ex-girlfriend. Enjoy!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Have finally finished the whole set yesterday, and watched all the extras. Another great ``Lost'' set..really liked the episodes ``23rd Psalm,'' ``Lockdown,'' ``Fire + Water,'' ``?'' and ``Live Together, Die Alone''. Can't wait for the season premiere tonight!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Oddly, not a single disc from this set will even load menus on my old (read: ancient) Toshiba DVD player (don't remember the model #, but it's a first or second generation player).

I bought season 2 and loaned it to my parents before watching it for myself (I've seen it, they needed to catch up for season 3). I gave them my old Toshiba player years ago. They called me a couple of days ago to tell me the DVD set was defective - the discs wouldn't load. They had just finished watching my S1 set.

I brought a later model Toshiba over for them to use, and it works fine.

Just a heads up if you have an early model Toshiba player...

-Scott

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
I discovered LOST this Summer and rapdily went thru Season 1. I'm now in the midst of Season 2. The character development is amazing, far better than any show or movie I've ever seen. The acting, too, is solid.
But, what really blows me away is the musical score. It is astonishingly good! Exquisitely beautiful and poignant. Michael Giacchino is a genius.
That he did not get an Emmy this year for the score is truly a knock on the people who choose, imho.
Regards
How

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
good4u... but i think many people pre-empt their "best of" superlatives. since JJ&Giacchino also worked on alias (another great show, well the early seasons anyway) you can hear similar themes. if you've watched mi3, the soundtrack sounds very similar to both alias and lost. yeah i know, same composer... but whenever i hear the piano... i'm like OK that's Giacchino regurgitating the same style of soundtrack again =(.

Janie111

Auditioning
Real Name
Janie

Agree with you in all respects.
As a musician, I was impressed by the depth and variety of the music. What powerful stuff! I've not used the word 'genius' in relation to an American composer since Brian Wilson did "Pet Sounds" back in the 60s, but I don't object to your using it with Giacchino. It hits me much harder than the Alias score did.
Janie

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Blasted through this set in 3 days. Just as good as I remembered. The picture quality really surprised me since I finally got to watch most of Season 2 in HD when it aired.

Someone sure spent a lot of time coding and rendering out that six degrees of seperation section. Some complicated menus there.

I really liked the Fire + Water, anatomy of an episode extra. Pretty decent making of doc for a tv show.

Season 3 can't come soon enough.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just caught this over at Sci Fi.com:

Fans of ABC's hit SF series Lost who played this summer's alternate-reality game The Lost Experience got a big payoff if they stuck with it: the secret to Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42) and revelations about the Dharma Initiative and the Hanso Foundation. The answers, which were reported by TV Guide, can be found in a video detailing the elaborate backstory to the show, which has been posted in its entirety on YouTube.com.

The numbers represent the Valenzetti Equation, a mathematical formula having to do with the timetable for humanity's extinction. The show's sinister Dharma Initiative was an effort by the mysterious Hanso Foundation to ward off that inevitability. When Dharma failed, Hanso's nefarious acting leader, Thomas Mittelwerk, set in motion a plan to release a virus that would kill 30 percent of the world's population.

What's up with that? I was shocked to discover this so-called explanation regarding the numbers ... is this true about the spoiler?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Lost numbers, a video of a lottery drawing that is only off by one number, 42. But it did get 4-8-15-16-23

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
WOW AWESOME REVIEW.

MY COUSIN PICKED UP BOTH SEASONS AT COSTCO IN VANCOUVER BC CANADA FOR ONLY $39 EACH. I SHOULD PICK BOTH UP.
BUT SUCH A GOOD PRICE WOW.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm having the same audio issues with the discs as as some other are - might it be player related (I'm using an Oppo)? Every episode's audio doesn't start until about 5 or 6 seconds into the episode. If I skip ahead one chapter and then skip back (using the chapter skip button) it still does it, but if I "rewind" (as opposed to going to the chapter stop) to the beginning (without going all the way to where the audio stream would have to restart) I can hear most of the audio I missed, but it's still peculiar since the stream is obviously there. Perhaps there is a flag wrong in the stream or something making either a) some players not start passing it out right away or b) some receivers not starting to decode it properly right away?

I had no issues with the S1 DVD set. Does anyone else with the Oppo have this problem with the discs?

Arild

Supporting Actor
I just noticed while watching "The Whole Truth" (last ep on disc 4) that they fixed the spelling error in the subtitles. The fertility doctor now correctly says "your husband" instead of the originally aired line "you're husband". I'm glad, cause that kinda bugged me. Not a big deal or anything, I just thought it'd be worth a mention. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
That is a huge relief. I damn near had a heart attack when I saw "you're husband", just stunned that a mistake like that could make it through so many people without anyone noticing it.

Which reminds me, I had to sign a statement yesterday as part of an insurance claim I'm putting in. The statement was typed up by the insurance guy, and it hurt to read - multiple uses of it's instead of its, or brought instead of bought, fragmented sentences, and so on. It was horrible. And I had to sign this paper, too afraid to correct any of the mistakes for fear of annoying the insurance guy and damaging my chances of getting a payout. I felt like crying as I signed my name.

Why do people find basic English so difficult?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think its that hard. *Rimshot* :)

In a similar vein, 24: Season Four had an episode that aired with one time before a later time (in other words, the clock read 2:27:00 and later on in the episode the clock read 02:23:00) and that was corrected for the DVD.

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
I finished Season 2 just in time for 3 to premiere.
Main issues:
1-The audio lag at the beginning of each episode. (Oppo)
2-The ARE are few rather weak episodes in the middle of season 2, imo. Almost boring. (NONE in S1)
3-The are some happenings that to me, are inexplicably poor script writing.

All in all, it's a good year but not up to par with Season 1. (Id give S1 a 10 and S2 an 8)
How

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks