What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron, great review there! Easily on par with that of The Digital Bits. However, I wanted to point out a few errors that you made, so that you can correct them if you wish:
Saruman consulting the "eye of Sauron" which tells him to "build an army worthy of Mordor."
This scene was in the theatrical cut.
As the Wraiths chase Arwen Undómiel, they stop at a river crossing. One of the wraiths calls out to her, demanding she give up the halfling. (not certain if the wraith call was in the original version)
This line was indeed in the theatrical cut.
A short sequence upon a wintry mountain where Saruman responds to Gandalf, reminding him of the dangers of going into the Moria mines.
If this is the bit I'm thinking of, then it too was in the theatrical cut.
A newly found passage into the great hall of the mines of Mordor. Gandalf speaks of the oncoming Balrog. The jump across the bridge is also greatly extended with a new set of stairs to cross and a much earlier arrival of a full-formed Balrog.
Some of this may be new, but I've read elsewhere that the bridge sequence has not been changed one bit. Also, it's 'Moria', not 'Mordor'.
As Frodo embarks on his final journey of this installment, he remembers the words of Gandalf, who briefly appears in flashback.
Again, this was definitely in the theatrical cut.
The side break is at the 1:45 mark where Pippin inquires "when are we goin'?!".
It's "Where are we going?". Small thing, I know, but I wasn't sure if it was simply a typo or due to Americans having some trouble understanding Billy Boyd's dialect.
I don't mean to criticise - just to help you make your review as flawless as possible!

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
"One box to rule them all,
One special 5-disc Box Set;
One box to break the bank,
For fanboys this box must get!"

So looking forward to having the neighbors call the cops on me because my HT will be disturbing the peace.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Top hat Ron. Kudos for all the work you did here.

First of - hopefully - three amazing DVD releases!

Could they win DVD of the year 3 years in a row!?!?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ron
Let me add another great review. This is the best review I have seen online. Not only will this be the DVD of the year, it is going to be the crown jewel in my collection. Can't wait to get this.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Ron,
Have you found the soundtrack to be recorded extremelly loud as the 2-disc set was? Since you don't have the 2-disc version you cant compare but did you find yourself running your receiver about 10dB lower than normal(other DVD's) like everyone else has had to do with the 2-disc release?

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
More stuff I've found that you should correct, Ron:
In the library. Gandalf reads more of the history of the ring, complete with added flashback.
According to all other reports on the extended cut, this scene is identical to the theatrical cut. The extra stuff with Isildur has all been added to the prologue.
An extended sequence inside the Prancing Pony regarding Strider.
Have found no other reports that mention this. What specifically is added? The barman mentions Strider to Frodo in the theatrical cut, so this sounds like no change to me.
A newly found passage into the great hall of the mines of Mordor. Gandalf speaks of the oncoming Balrog. The jump across the bridge is also greatly extended with a new set of stairs to cross and a much earlier arrival of a full-formed Balrog.
Apparently, while there is no more footage added to the bridge sequence, the Balrog is in fact shown in more detail. So ignore some of what I said before.
Also, please note that additional footage has been added to the Cave Troll fight in Balin's Tomb, there is a lot more interaction between the Felloship and Haladir when they first enter Lothlorien, Sam has more to say in Lorien, and the battle of Amon Hen has more footage of Legolas.
Just thought I'd point this out - if you had a more definitive list of changes, this would without a doubt be the best review in the world right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,
So very much appreciate ther updates.
I am taking this as constructive help.
I have stressed that it had been months since
I saw the original film.
I can't compare this DVD to the original DVD
release because I never bought it. I can tell you
that the sound does run very hot here. I have also
been told by people in the industry that the first
DVD was recorded waaay to hot.
I will work on making some oft he corrections,
but first and foremost, will make a note that this
is not a Director's cut but Extended Edition.
Thanks for all your help and warm words.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Joseph J.D,
Alliance has stated that they will NOT be altering the cover art to include the french translations (according to a web site that posts such news). I'm not sure if they will add a french language track or not but the packaging appears to be safe from any bilingual butchering.

The question I have is if they add additional audio tracks, can that affect picture quality? I know the original release of LOTR had a french track added and the US did not, so I'm wondering if that ever effects the quality of the rest of the audio and video on the disc?

Ethan Poole

Auditioning
If you're looking for a definitive list of changes, the War of the Ring has a good walkthrough. Detail on what is there, but not so spoiler-ific as to ruin the viewing experience. You can read it Link Removed

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You had me at "Extended"!
No trailers? I loved one of the trailers! Now I may have to get the 2 disc. Ugh!
He my be saving DVD of the Year for a little movie called AotC.;)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Just a reminder to those of you who didn't purchase the 2-disc set but would like the trailers, they were both easter eggs on the Rush Hour 2 DVD (in the chapter selection) if you happened to purchase that disc.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ron,

I have a question about the music at the very end of the film. On the soundtrack, the track with the music at the end as Frodo and Sam make their way toward Mordor flows into a beautiful song by a boys' choir called "In Dreams". The Enya song "May it Be" (also beautiful) is a separate track on the soundtrack.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the music was originally composed at the end to flow right into the "In Dreams" (boys' choir) song followed by Enya's "May it Be". But the final version of the film puts "May it Be" first followed by "In Dreams". I've often wondered if Peter Jackson had reasons for doing this for the theatrical release that wouldn't necessarily apply to an extended home video version, and perhaps he would move "In Dreams" back to being the song that flows into the credits, followed by "May it Be" (as on the sound track).

Can you (or anyone else out there who has seen the extended edition) comment on this?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks