What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes 4 Disc Golden Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I love how in a review of the 2-disc set over at DVD Authority the reviewer for some reason thinks this is a TV show. :frowning:

The audio here is much like you'd from a television cartoon release, solid and acceptable, but basically unmemorable.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

That is really really *sad*. What a lamo-reviewer! "the audio here is much like you'd expect from a television cartoon release" was the kicker! Yeah...all those made-for-TV WB cartoons :rolleyes

As far as Herb goes:

Awesome review.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

dave :D :D :D

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let everyone know, in case you haven't bought yours yet, I just got the Golden Collection at Target, and they have a pretty cool deal (at least the one by me did). If you buy the Golden Collection, you get an instant $15 off coupon if you also buy either Looney Tunes Reality Check or Stranger Than Fiction. While I've heard pretty much universal bad reviews on these releases, they only cost $14.99 at Target, so in a sense you get one for free.

I just realized that there is a coupon and deals section on this forum, and I probably should have posted this there. Sorry about that. ;)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I took the plunge afterall and went with the golden collection instead of the premiere.I watched a few of the cartoons on disc 1 and a tiny bit of the extras, and i must say that if the other 3 discs are anything like this , WB has my vote for studio of the year.This dvd will probably be in a race for best dvd of the year along with two towers extended.:) :emoji_thumbsup: These cartoons never looked greater, cant wait to watch more tonight.This release, along with what i purchased last week, and what ill get in the coming weeks , ill never get caught up in my dvd viewing.:D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
While I am greatly pleased with the look of this set overall (great colors, et al), I am getting through the first disc (Best Of Bugs Bunny), and notice that so far a couple of titles (most notably Rabbit Of Seville) actually run slightly slower! (Listen to the opening theme to understand what I mean).

Make the comparison yourself if you have the Looney Tunes - Curtain Calls laserdisc or Warner Bros. Golden Jubilee 24 Karat Collection - Elmer Fudd's Comedy Capers videocassette.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
What's Opra Doc is not on the collection, and only 2/3 of the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer hunting trilogy is on this set too. I guess they want to make sure to have some famous cartoons left for future releases.

Man the wait is interminable. I'm waiting for this to be delivered.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Is there a Looney Tunes database on the net? I'm trying to find out the name of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs does battle with a construction worker who is trying to build a freeway over Bugs' hole. It's one of the most butchered cartoons in our PC world and hope it arives on DVD in tact.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

If it were a PAL conversion, there would be the typical jittery appearance (as per discussions of other titles such as Milestone's Phantom Of The Opera et al.

In the 525/60 NTSC system, 525 lines form one video frame, which is in turn made-up of two fields at a rate of sixty fields per second, so that during one "NTSC second" there will be: 30 frames = 60 fields = 15,750 scan lines.

For 625/50 PAL, there are 625 lines composing a frame of video, at a rate of 50 fields per second. One "PAL second" will give us therefore: 25 frames = 50 fields = 15,625 scan lines.

Stretching 25 FPS PAL to 30FPS NTSC would be either remarkably slow or extremely jittery, and these are supposed to be film sources, not video sources.

Time compressed? For what? - No other source for Rabbit Of Seville that I've heard or seen (Good TV prints, bad TV prints, 16mm prints, aforementioned LD or VHS editions, or the original portions featured on the CD soundtrack of Bugs Bunny On Broadway) have ever been presented at a slower rate like the version on this collection, and I've seen this cartoon on television for over 35 years.

The WB shorts have never been 'time-compressed' for television (at least here in Canada), although they have been 'edited for television'.

BTW examining Disc 2 (Best Of Daffy & Porky), Golden Yeggs and Rabbit Fire suffer from the same fate,
and excerpts from Rabbit Fire appear on one of the Carl Stalling Project CD's at its correct speed.

Disc 3 (Looney Tunes All Stars) has altered The Awful Orphan, and Disc 4 (same title) has altered Kit For Kat and Early To Bet in the same manner.

While I'm not screaming 'recall', I am disappointed in that for all the care and attention that the color restoration has received, detail to correct projection speed has not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks