What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes 4 Disc Golden Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just to save me a half-hour of title-matching and research, can someone tell me if this episode is included...

"How many times have I told you NOT to play with that dirty money?"

My favorite. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
copied from the other thread that doesnt seem to be looked at......

i just came back from everyone's favorite early street store with the dash in the middle.
they had tons of boxes of stuff all over the store.
one of them was full of all the different new looney toon dvd's.
i picked up a golden collection and it wrang up at the odd price of $42.62.

i will be spending some time watching my favorite cartoons later tonight.

later....

i just finished up the bug's bunny disk.
and boy is it amazing.
i was alittle worried when the first short, baseball bugs, started out looking somewhat grainy or having tons of mosquito noise. but only the beginning of the short.

the last bug's short was the rabbit of seville.
is this the best short cartoon ever made. eh, could be!

Next indeed!

i havent watched the other discs yet so i don't know if they are included but i would have liked the first appearance of the 4 top characters, bug's, porky, daffy and elmer.
there's a clip from wabbit season(ing)? on one of the docs and you can clearly see how the awful it looked before restoration made this one cartoon appear brand new.

today:
i just watched some of the 4th disk, the all star disc.
these cartoons look like that are brand new. the colors just fly at you, very rainbow like, beautiful.

i did listen to the commentary for the SPEEDY GONZALEZ short.
i didnt like it. i think the man who speaks is listed as a looney toons historian.
he repeats some of the lines as the are spoken and points out alot of what happens on the screen.
he does make note of the history of speedy so that was informative.

this set is a dream coome true for people who saw these many years ago.

one of the extras has the BUG'S BUNNY SHOW opening, middle and closing bits. plus one of the parts of an actual show.
this is were i got most of my exposure to loony toons from this show on sat mornings.
"On With The Show, This Is It!"
i loved watching all the characters dancing out on stage together.

ThadK

Second Unit
Hi, I'm a "newbie" here, and I just wanted to ask a few questions...

1) Which cartoons are still Blue Ribbons with credits? Here's the list of titles that I'm concerned about...

High Diving Hare
Big Top Bunny
Ballot Box Bunny

Dough for the Do-Do
Drip-Along Daffy
The Ducksters
The Scarlet Pumpernickel
Wearing of the Grin
Boobs in the Woods
Golden Yeggs
Rabbit Fire

The Awful Orphan
For Scent-imental Reasons
The Hypo-condricat

Canary Row
Putty Tat Twouble
Canned Feud
Tweety's S.O.S.
Daffy Duck Hunt
Early to Bet

2) Do Kit for Cat, The Foghorn Leghorn, and Scaredy Cat have original titles?

Thanks,

Thaddeus

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thad what do the origional titles for those last 3 look like.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I too am new to this board, and this release alone is worth my signing up and making my first post. I've been waiting on this one since the day I first owned a DVD player.

Herb - thank you for an excellent, and very thorough review. My only complaint with it would have to be - You made me wish it was already Tuesday even more than I already did! (if that's possible) But, thanks again for the info! I guess I'll just have to wait. Unless I can find that store with the dash in it that Tony was talking about. Any chance that this is a national chain store, and I might have one near me?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Amen, Ron.

To quote Chuck Jones, "We didn't make these cartoons for kids, and we didn't make them for adults - we made them for ourselves!"

I like that way of thinking.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
kit for kat, no blue ribbon. looney toon open
tweety's sos. is a blue ribbon, merrie melody open.
havent checked the others.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
To those who already have this: does your case match the pic shown at the beginning of the review? The one I pre-ordered doesn't look the same, but kinda surprised there'd be a different version from WB for Canada. Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no it is different.

the looney tunes word is higher.
the black bar is curved.
the words "GOLDEN COLLECTION" is right under "looney tunes".
the art is exactly the same.
at the bottom the words "4-DISC DVD COLLECTION" is in a black box.

other then that it's exactly the same.

:D

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Welcome Thad and Jason. It's nice to have a fellow Houstonian on the board.

I haven't watched a Looney Tune in 2 years at least but this set has peaked my interest. But I don't know what my expectations should be. I don't know if I should look upon the cartoons with entertainment purposes or historical purposes in mind.

I'm a bit frightened as I own 4 Walt Disney Treasures sets and I haven't even watched all of them yet. But regardless, I will be picking this one up for a tasty $40 price at Sam's.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Don't be frightened....BUY this LOONEY TUNES set. You'll love it. You'll laugh for hours and you'll be fascinated by the extras....

I have all the Disney Treasures too, but have only watched one (Mickey in B&W) so far. The others are shrink-wrapped still. I've seen the content elsewhere, and I know the cartoons are important & lovely to admire for their high quality animation. I also know they're BORING!

With LOONEY TUNES, you'll never be bored. You'll be laughing
and you'll be knocked out by how great the cartoons look.
You won't be sorry.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks TonyD. Much closer to the design I see, but still different...anyway, it's the disc content I'm hoping is the same, with nothing removed for any possible additional language stuff.

Gotta agree with some of the others who say these cartoons are funny, compared to the ones in the Disney sets (except for Goofy...was never a fan of MM or DD at all). Haven't seen any of these for at least 20 years, most for more like 35 years, so looking forward to it. Disney IMO does great animation, WB did great cartoons.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Disney IMO does great animation, WB did great cartoons.
Very well put Craig. I would definitely have to agree. This is a definite must purchase. I'm a little worried though, because I was at a store yesterday that put the premiere collection out early, but had never heard of or had no computer records of the golden collection. Hopefully this isn't a trend, especially if the sales of the Golden Collection affects future releases.

And thanks for the welcome Kevin. It's great to be here. Always great to bump into a Houstonian.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Am I the only one who thinks the orignal box art that they used for the internet poll was the best.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Great review!

Although I certainly enjoy all of these toons, I've always held the Chuck Jones ones just a little higher than the rest. I'm certainly not saying his work was better than anyone else's---it's just that I personally enjoyed his toons more.

That said, I'm wondering if there's been any discussion of subsequent WB DVD collections that are not as random as the Golden Collection. We're obviously also talking about a lot of money here, particularly when there are so many other must-have DVD releases at this time of the year.

Has there been any talk of a director-themed collection, i.e. a "Chuck Jones Collection," a "Fritz Freleng Set," etc.?

Thanks,
mattl

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Has there been any talk of a director-themed collection, i.e. a "Chuck Jones Collection," a "Fritz Freleng Set," etc.?
I already made-up my 28 toon list for the non-existent and not even rumored "Best of Bob Clampett" 2-DVD set I would like them to release some day:

Porky's Badtime Story
Porky in Wackyland
The Daffy Doc
Porky & Daffy
Wabbit Twouble
Horton Hatches the Egg
Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
The Wacky Wabbit
A Tale of Two Kitties
A Corny Concerto
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs
Tortoise Wins by a Hare
Falling Hare
An Itch in Time
The Old Grey Hare
Russian Rhapsody
Buckaroo Bugs
Birdy and the Beast
What's Cookin' Doc?
The Bashful Buzzard
A Gruesome Twosome
Draftee Daffy
Book Revue
The Big Snooze
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
Baby Bottleneck
Bacall to Arms
Kitty Kornered

Now that's a piece of vaporware I would like to see become reality some day. ...Unless, of course, they go with a "complete Bob Clampett" box set. :)

Regards,

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Awesome review Herb!

DVD of the year! Fugghedabowdit. I can hardly stand the wait. "Shoot him now!, Shoot him Now!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks