What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" w/ tons of screenshots! HR! (1 Viewer)

Sten F

Second Unit
I haven´t seen LXG... yet. But I saw The Core and Dreamcatcher. Those two movies were awful and must rank among the worst movies of 2003. Surely, LXG can´t be as bad as the two mentioned movies.

I guess, it all comes down to ones expectations. But judging from peoples opnions my expectations to LXGarelow. So when I finally get around to watch LXG, maybe I´ll be fairly entertained anyway.

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just took delivery of this movie and I own a B4+ and this movie would have to have the weakest bass I've come across. After reading your review Adam I was expecting this to be my next demo disc for bass but I'm afraid to say, it was average. First I thought it may be my system but after trying Finding Nemo (Darla taping tank) my worries were gone. I tried all the bass heavy scenes in LOXG and they were all very low and I was watching it at reference levels. I purchased this disc through www.dvdboxoffice.com and haven't had a dud yet. Maybe this is the first one. It's a shame really as all the reviews I've read say it is the next bass demo disc to add to your collection. Has anyone else had the same experience?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I would certainly put LXG in the same league (no pun intended :D) with Dreamcatcher and The Core. All three are films that take a very interesting premise and pretty much totally mess it up, although I think LXG is the least guilty of the bunch. It certainly had the most interesting characters, even though they were mostly lost in the stinker of a script.

My main problem with the DVD is the transfer. On my ISF'd Hitachi 57SWX20B/Denon 5900 it looks pretty bad. Quite a few people here have positive opinions of the video on this disc but I'm certainly not one of them. I found the transfer to be soft and suffering from MPEG artifacts. Definitely one of the worst major studio releases I've seen this year video-wise.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Please hold your nose whilst I thread fart.. but this movie stunk out loud.

IMHO of course.

-Apologies to those offended (should be offered up by the writers of this movie).

:)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
If anyone's interested in reading a review of the two-disc Region 2 UK version, I've added one to my website, which you can find at Zeta Minor

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I actually saw this movie for the first time on Friday. There are some obvious flaws, but overall, I enjoyed it.

And the DVD features were pretty cool too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks