What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Léon The Professional: Deluxe Edition (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to finally picking this up and checking it out. I've read lots of good things about it. With the confusion regarding the other pressings, I decided to hold off until they got it right. Sounds like they finally did.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I would appreciate that. I'm not familiar with that technique. Does anyone know of an easy way to check the disc without actually ripping it?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Ok, if I have got this right this means that the picture quality of the Superbit Deluxe edition is exactly the same as on the previous Superbit edition, but the audio is corrected, right?

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
It does indeed say "mastered in high definition" on the sleeve. As for the video quality -- I thought this DVD looked and sounded very well.

However, I did notice some scenes looking softer than others. Is that a symptom of the problem you are refering to? I'm not very familiar with the jargon you guys are throwing around :) It was fairly minor, I think -- overall, great image.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The file that lacks 3:2 encoding is indeed the first part of the film.

Interestingly, the screen shot on DVD Beaver is of a scene that comes from one of the files that *does* have 3:2 encoding, according to GSpot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am bouncing this thread to the top so that those who have higher-end setups and may not have looked at it over the weekend will be aware of the 3:2 pulldown issue that may affect them.

It is not likely to affect you unless you have a very large screen; however, I will see if I can get any information from Sony about a potential disc replacement or reissue.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I got mine. What's $19.99 for a DVD when I once paid $130.00 for the import LD of LEON: Integral Version?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I must say I'll be pretty disappointed if this release is *once again* affected by what can only be called slipshod QC...does someone competent not check exactly what's put on the disc? Is this movie jinxed? I know it was lower budget, but can we not get the recording of what we do have to disc correct? Just once? Please?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well said Craig. I was looking forward to finally adding this to my collection, but not now, not with it being screwed up yet again. :thumbsdown:

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Sorry for asking, but I don´t understand what´s wrong with the Deluxe Edition? Something about pull down that´s only visible on a projector?

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
I picked it up but only because I got Fifth Element from amazon and adding Leon only cost me $12 more. I do hope they issue replacement discs.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I viewed the disc last night and did not notice any issues due to the missing pulldown flag.

However I cant speak for the projector folks, but no problems on my plasma display.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The issue only affects players that have trouble recognizing the progressive video if the 3:2 pulldown flag is incorrectly encoded on the disc. It had no effect whatsoever on my system. I am told that the software in HTPCs tends to be affected by it, though.

I will be investigating this further with some different software, since The Fifth Element appears to have the same error and I want to make absolutely certain that I am providing correct information. In fact, if anyone has a system that they know will be affected by this, and has access to either of these discs, it would be great if you could take a look and report back here about it.

Stay tuned. . .

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Maybe the problem is why some CC's are selling it for $14.99. I get my Progressive image from my iScan, so I don't think this would be a problem for me.

I may bargain-hunt for it this weekend.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
I think I noticed some frames bleeding together, like a flash at the bottom of the frame when shots are changed. I'll have to compare it to my regular Internation cut to verify if I'm imagining this or not.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
too bad about the QC- it is a new transfer-the VOB files are dated Nov 2004.

Got mine at CC for $15 too, even though the Sunday flyer stated $17

RobertDigilio

Auditioning
Aaron,

Thanks for the very informative review. Also, thanks for the investigation of this apparent disc mastering error. Any additional follow-up on Leon and Fifth Element, especially with CTS, is much appreciated. :)

Anyone know the best way to pursue this with CTS? E-mail or phone #? Disc replacement should definitely be offered, if this error is confirmed (at least, I'm not sure it has been on The Fifth Element which is the one I ordered).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
After thinking this through, I may just go ahead and pick it up on sale but not open it in hopes that CTS will fix the error and send out replacements. I guess there's nothing to lose if I do that, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks