DVD Review HTF REVIEW: King Kong - Two Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Herb Kane, Nov 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Look, I just want this movie. As long as it's watchable I'm a happy man. And apparently it's more than watchable.

This might be Herb's most reasoned review. Thanks Herb. [​IMG]

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Watched the Spider-Pit sequence on the 2nd disc, I liked it, cleverly done by Peter Jackson who's obsessed with Kong and the lost spider-pit sequence. Could easily be edited into the main body of the film [who shrieked?] by those who love composing and editing their own special editions out of deleted or alternate scenes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Robert,

Mine shipped from our favorite etailer
    a day or two ago.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Normally DVD Empire ships any pre-order I have that is due to release on a Tuesday on the Friday prior. It did not happen this time with the Kong pre-order. Horrors, are they waiting until Tuesday or later to ship?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I've compared the new copy of Kong with my old Universal Region 2 DVD, quite a difference, a cleaner picture on the remastered copy and more picture info on all sides. The R2 was also slightly masked on the sides, why I don't know. Top is the UK R2, bottom US R1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I think that if one were to watch this film with someone who has never seen it before but is aware of its legendry status, reading this review ahead of time would be a good idea. I think this review gives the movie a proper assesment of its artistic and technical merits and flaws.

The comments about the level of acting, I find to be spot on and surely the special effects can't compare to movies made today.

Still, this is a movie whose sum is greater than its individual parts.

The original King Kong has given Peter Jackson a lofty goal to aim for. I wish him success.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I've never seen the original KING KONG, but I think I might give it a try.

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Don't think so - my screener arrived the other day...

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Actually, I think there HAS been a delay. As I was researching this week's Weekly RoundUp, I saw Pompeii listed for release 11-22-05 by a couple of sites...but not Amazon, Best Buy nor Circuit City is listing the title for release this coming week.

10. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

Think I'll be purchasing the $33.99 collectors set from BB this week - Tin Cases with Free Poster offers tend to do me in, and for only 8 bucks more then the Amazon price I get MJY and Son of Kong - can't complain one bit at that.

I've never seen King Kong in it's entirety (sp?), and to be honest the only impression I had of Kong was a negative one - The awful, awful Universal Studios ride. Now that it's gone, I'm hoping all of that negativity can be replaced with joy by this release.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I postulated (A.K.A.thunk) elsewhere that the windowboxing issue would be what people would probably complain about with this transfer...but frankly I haven't seen any windowboxing at all in any of the screen caps I have seen on the web so far, how is this windowboxed again?

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thank you Herb. Your well written and informative reviews are always much appreciated.

Thanks also to Vincent-P who posted the news about the BB exclusive last week. I was able to cancel my on-line order just in time.

I suspect the reason the windowboxing hasn't been a major issue is that among the general population it's still a relatively minute number of people who have DLP/LCD TV sets. The boxing will probably be lost/minimized due to overscan for most people.

Steve

13. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Can't wait! I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Thanks for the great review.

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes, but wouldn't/shouldn't any windowboxing be viewable in the screen caps?

15. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

There's no overscan when viewing - or capturing still images - on a PC. You'll simply see the film as transferred to DVD in its true ratio; and windowboxing will not change the ratio, you are just assured of seeing all the image, particularly on a widescreen TV.

16. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

That's Kevin M. point. Since the screen captures have no overscan, where is the windowboxing??? We should clearly see the black lines outlining the frame. As you, John, state: "You'll simply see the film as transferred to DVD in its true ratio; and windowboxing will not change the ratio, you are just assured of seeing all the image (on the DVD)".
    This is a mistake, the windowboxing, in 2005. If this was 1985 it would have be a plus. Now it will be a disadvantage to all owners of digital displays. Which everyday, is more & more of us.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the screen caps!!!
    Great job. Makes me glad I waited all this time for this release.

17. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

Only in Orlando has the ride been closed.

The mighty Kong (banana breath himself, now with a giant Santa cap on for the holidays) still jerks the tourist-filled trams around daily at Universal Studios Hollywood.

18. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

DaleMA, if it isn't too late for you, pick up KK at Best Buy, as you'll be able to get the KK Tin Edition along with MJY and SOK in the same BB exclusive box set. You won't need an additional copy of KK if you don't really want one. And the price for everything is $33.99.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Unless...is there such a thing as player generated windowboxing? I've never heard of it.

Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the BB tin set!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

20. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Apologies Kevin; I misconstrued...