What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a chance to see vol. 1 on DVD (been pretty busy lately). I didn't really "get it" when I saw it theatrically and viewing it again I didn't like it either. Perhaps viewing vol 2. tomorrow will change my mind.

Anyway, on to the DVD: my one complaint is the subtitles: not that they're player generated, but that they extend into the bottom letterbox bar! This pisses me off, since I use foamboard mattes for scope films. I hope the future Kill Bill DVDs will have the subs stay inside the picture (or better yet, use the burned in subs).

ShawnC

Agent
Speaking of the Red Apple cigarette ad in the airport, did anyone notice that the model in the ad was Julie Dreyfus (Sofie Fatale)? Very interesting cameo, I sure it's just one of those Tarantino movie "things" he puts in his films and not related to her character in Kill Bill. Just a tidbit I thought interesting.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Heh, no, I didn't notice that. I'll have to check it again on the DVD, but I'm sure you're right, that sounds like a QT touch all the way!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"JonZ - I noticed the same thing with her hair, because she looks so much hotter with the shorter hair in that airport scene than she does once she gets to the House of Blue Leaves."

I like the longer hair myself:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

Is that really her though? I wondered that the last time I watched the movie. It certainly looks like her but there was something about it that made me think it wasn't her. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to pop in real quick on this one. First, great review (again) Dave.

Second, [rant]Holy S*$%, this is one of the most amazing soundtracks I have EVER heard!!![/rant]

Downright phenomenal in every respect.

The sound design is as impressive as any I have ever heard, and is my new reference by which all others will be compared. Yes, there are a few others that are probably as good, but this one really stood out for me because it had it all. Fantastic loud, authoritative sound, and very subtle "ambience" that always fit the scene perfectly.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah it's a good soundtrack, except for RZA's ranting and raving. I think he needs to go back to square 1 in terms of lyrics. But I do think that this soundtrack is exceptional because it has so many orchestral moments(even though most are borrowed from Ennio Morricone and aren't on the soundtrack), which is odd for a Tarrantino movie.

On a related note: man I am SLOW! I've been on a Bernard Herrmann kick recently(going so far as to buy a CD of Francois Truffaut's movie soundtracks when I was in France just so I can get the 4 original tracks of Fahrenheit 451) and I just NOW came to discover(within the last 15 minutes) that the 'whistling song', as I refer to it, is by none other than Bernard Herrmann!

Geez somebody slap me. I love that track. :D

Sean Scott

Auditioning
I don't see where Sofie gets her other arm cut. I've see the first one cut where the blood squirts on the camera but I don't know where her second arm gets cut????????????????????:confused: :confused:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
After reviewing both versions, I'm convinced that the Japanese version is superior to the U.S. release. The fight scene just works so much better in color. I know many disagree with that, but that's just my opinion. I've watched it both ways about 5 or 6 times, and the black & white version isn't nearly as effective. Plus, it seems that most of the people defending the black & white version are those who are trapped inside of Region 1 (anyone here with a multi-region player disagree with me?). I know Quentin says that neither version is definitive, they're just different. He did the best he could within the limits of the MPAA, but the Japanese version seems more on par with his original vision. Yes, I know the black & white was in at least one version of the script. However, my belief is that he knew he'd never get an R rating anyway, so he came up with a clever way to get around it.

My two cents,
Jeff

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I've got both, and either way i'm not all that fussed but if I had to choose I liked the black & white more. It just seems to fit all the style choices between the two films.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, it was scripted to be in black and white.

Another vote for the soundtrack. I hadn't been interested in any recent music for the last couple of years, but I rushed out to buy this one. Excellent in just about ever respect.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
GREAT film. The DVD looks excellent, too. I noticed some edge enhancing in a few spots, but it's very subtle.

The film looks like something shot in 3-strip Technicolor in a lot of the scenes.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to watching this DVD and I have to say the claims of "bloodiest film ever", "extereme gore" and some of the other things said about this movie are way off base. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected and I actually found myself wanting to see the black & white fight scene in color. Guess I'll have to wait for one of the upcoming 6 different releases to see that(f**king Miramax). Overall, I thought the action scenes were some of the best I've seen in a long time and the Crazy 88's fight was way better than the Burly Brawl in Matrix Reloaded. Not Tarantino's greatest film overall, but still very cool in all respects. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks