What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Jaws III" (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit
To quote Charlie B. Ch. "I hope that they make a sequel to DBS"

A sequel to Deep Blue Sea, hmmmm, well if Jeeper's Creeper's can have a sequel why not Deep Blue Sea.

Personally I thought Deep Blue Sea was a pretty fun popcorn flick not quite as fun as Lake Placid (yes, I know I probably stand alone in this opinion) and much better than Jeeper's Creeper's.

But anyway if there isn't a Deep Blue Sea sequel I won't lose any sleep.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I thought I read over at AICN a while back that there is/was a historical-fiction movie in development about the Indianapolis from Quint's perspective.
There was a TV movie about it. I'm not sure if it was one or two parts. I remember that I thought it was scary as hell when I watched it. I was younger...*ahem*

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
DBS grossed a respectable $74M.
Hmm... I'm not sure how "respectable" $74 million is for a $78 million movie in this day and age. I mean, clearly it could have been much worse, but since it now seems like big summer movies are supposed to earn $74 million in their first weekends, that kind of final gross is pretty blah...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The producers originally wanted to make an Airplane!-type spoof called Jaws 3, People 0, but Universal nixed the idea because they thought it would kill the series!
I remember being told by a Universal tour guide operator that Jaws 3 would be a comedy featuring a shark with braces, a shark which had no teeth but just gummed people to death, and a third shark I don't recall.

I assume this was the comedy that was planned.

About the DVD, it doesn't make sense that area UHF stations broadcasting into tv's rabbit ears can show 3-D movies with no problem (using red and blue glasses), but for some reason they can't put it in 3-D on DVD, which has much better picture quality than a UHF station, and comes with packaging that could easily include the glasses.
I don't care about Jaws 3, but that Molly Ringwald science fiction film would have been nice in 3D.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Perhaps, but the worldwide gross was $165M, then you add in all the home video and broadcast rights sales and I'm fairly confident it was profitable.

Not to mention that domestically its first weekend was only about $19M, so it actually had pretty good legs all things considered. :)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
These 3-D movies weren't meant to be shown with red/blue glasses. Yes, they could "downconvert" them to that inferior format as they have with some other movies, but the results are usually terrible. For the record, this summer's kid flick SPY KIDS 3-D will be going the inferior red/blue anaglyph route in theatres for its 3-D sequences (the entire film isn't in 3-D)

We are asking for the much higher quality "field sequential" format, which allows excellent, full color, fully stereoscopic 3-D on any TV set. This format approximates the experience of seeing 3-D movies in their intended polarized theatrical format. Universal has already released JAWS 3-D in this format overseas, so it is a shame they chose not to do it again on DVD, especially for a film so utterly pointless without the gimmick.

Over 600,000 pairs of field sequential glasses have been sold to date, as they have gained popularity with PC and on line games as well as in the SlingShot DVD sets. That number should get someone's attention. The market isn't as limited as some seem to think.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
How do the glasses synch up to the DVD player?

And any epileptic side effects from them?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There are basic systems in which the glasses are hardwired and plug into the 3-D Unit, and also battery operated wireless glasses which beam the signal from the 3-D unit to the glasses. The wired ones start at under $50; the wireless ones are naturally a bit more expensive.

No side effects for most people, but I can see how people with epilepsy might use caution.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Actually...I like the score for Jaws 3 better than 2 and I'm a HUGE Williams buff. Always did like it better. In fact, I own the CD for the other 3 and not 2.
I couldn't disagree more. JAWS 2 is one of Williams' most outstanding works, in its bounty of thematic material and orchestral colors. The featurette on the DVD rightly praises it -- it's not just a good score, I think it's one of his best.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
No side effects for most people, but I can see how people with epilepsy might use caution.
I bought the Slingshot DVD set -- the 3-D effects were good, much better than the standard o'l "red & blue" most of us remember, but the screen flickering was intolerable for me. I hooked it up to a 27' tube and a 50' projection, and everyone who tried it in my household ended up with a headache after 5 minutes. It's too bad but with NTSC TV refresh rates I don't think there's any way around it.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The flicker varies a lot based on the source material, and from scene to scene. Some people find it very noticeable, while others don't. It never really bothered me at all.

However, it is there and is likely the biggest reason that the majors aren't using this format.

I know that one company was selling "tweaked" TVs that showed field sequential 3-D flicker free but I don't know exactly how it was done.

In IMAX theatres, some of them use field sequential glasses and you can't see any flicker at all. The others use polarized (gray) glasses such as you would use to see JAWS 3-D in a theatre.

Some improved form of this is going to be used with an HD format soon I'm sure.

In any case, even in the current form, the effect is far superior to those horrible 80s red/blue TV broadcasts, which looked nothing like the original polarized versions released to theatres. With 600K glasses out there, why Universal couldn't add the previously released field sequential 3-D version to the new DVD is a mystery. The modified flat version would still be there for those who don't have the glasses.

GregK

Screenwriter
Mike,

Regarding the perceived high amount of flicker with field-sequential 3-D, has either one of your sets been professionally calibrated? The reason I ask is when the contrast and color temperature is set too high the perceived amount of flicker is also higher. If your set is not calibrated, simply setting the color temperature to "Warm" and setting the contrast lower will certainly help not only 3-D viewing, but will also extend tube life and provide a better image with standard flat material as well.

And to somewhat echo what Steve said, the DVD format has certainly offered consumers more viewing choices: Widescreen or pan-n-scan, original cut or director's cut. ..Why not offer both a 3-D and a 2-D version? ..Jaws 3-D certainly has little else going for it. ;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The flickering can be minimized by readjusting the brightness and contrast with the glasses on (my TV has to have them turned up higher than usual since the glasses are darker), but more annoying is the loss of detail since each eye is only seeing a half-resolution picture.

Steve Spin

Grip
Real Name
Steven Spinelli
Hello,
If there was a "Worst Movie Of All Time", (And I think there is...Jaws: The Revenge) This would be second. What the hell I bought it anyway. I own all of the Halloween's. I just think Universal missed an opportunity to exploit the fact that it was originally in 3D!
It's easy...Side 1 3D, Side 2 Regular.
It's that simple.
Happy Viewing,
Steve

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I noticed that Richard Matheson is credited as co-writer of the script. I this the same author that wrote the book, I am Legend?

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
NO 3D NO SALE HERE EITHER!

I have been waiting for a major movie release in anamorphic 3D for a while. I was hoping this one would of been the first one. I really liked the opening sequence in 3D of this flick. However you remove the fun factor of 3D and make this movie a flat movie and it dies a quick death, specially with no extra's!To bad the screwed this up.

Maybe the Cameron 3D flick into the Titanic will keep its 3D when it goes to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks