What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: James Stewart: The Signature Collection (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, I have seen The Naked Spur now (as I said before: not on my "best" equipment), and I must also admit I was detracted by the film itself, so a more definte opinion about the PQ will have to wait until another after viewing.

First I want to say this:
I know what you mean. Those screen grabs certainly were true representations of the quality of the movie. So thanks for providing those to us! And yet indeed the whole film doesn't seem "as worse" as those single shots suggest.

Let's have no doubt about this: it's not a very good example of a restored film on DVD. Period. In my opinion the image could have been better, it tends to be a bit dark and unsharp, the frame isn't always well-defined and there are artifacts that could have been removed (perhaps to gigantic costs - that I don't know). It's a bit of a disappointment, not a "disaster".

So the bottom line is: it's the best version of TNS I have ever seen (which doesn't say too much). I'm still glad I own this box, including this movie, no doubt about that, although I will look forward to a better transfer of this film.

And now on to SoSL this evening!

Cees

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The other film at the time that James Dean was reportedly in line to appear in was "Somebody Up There Likes Me". Comparing the production dates may indicate whether it would have prevented him from seriously considering SoSL or not.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now, that is the story I have known for years is that Paul Newman and Steve McQueen wanted the leading role in that film after Dean passed away.

Charles H

Screenwriter
PIER ANGELI WAS DATING DEAN AT THE TIME OF HIS DEATH. THEY MAY HAVE MET TESTING FOR "SOMEBODY...."

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just got through taking a look at Naked Spur and now I can breathe a sigh of relief. The negativity toward the transfer had me scared to death. Sure, it's softer than it should be and I've seen better but it's MORE than acceptable. We've all just become too spoiled so than anything other than a "knock your socks off" picture gets complaints.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Amen, Thomas T. I often find myself in admiration and/or agreement with your posts. I too shared concern about this title, but it's really just as Herb Kane called it, as you call it, and others have as well. It's still 50 times better than THE QUIET MAN looks :)

I haven't watched the western double bill yet, but I enjoyed SPUR just fine, I thought SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS looked the best I've ever seen it, ditto THE FBI STORY and THE STRATTON STORY. All first-rate films and this boxed set is a real delight and a good value

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
To Charles H:

James Dean and Pier Angeli were not dating at the time of his death. She had already married singer Vic Damone. Angeli and Dean met when they were both shooting movies at Warners on soundstages next to each other. He was shooting East Of Eden and she was shooting Silver Chalice.

To Roger Rollins:

Thanks for the compliment. Sometime I think I don't belong here at the HTF. For me, it's first and always about the movie and while I'd like a extraordinary picture as much as the next guy, if it's watchable I'm happy. When it gets to the point of (like some HTFers) of refusing to buy an anticipated title because the color is off (the blue of the sky is TOO dark, Monroe's dress should be more red than pink etc.) or the amount of nicks and scratches on a 70 year old movie wasn't cleaned up enough to suit them, I'm no longer a movie lover, I'm a DVD lover. There IS a difference.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Yes, and I had no problem going through that movie because it's such a great classic. I just wanted to see the "pretty Irish scenery" in The Quiet Man all cleaned up & restored so I could enjoy the scenery along with the movie. ;)

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
Finally received my James Stewart box set. However ordinary The Naked Spur is, it is a joy to finally have it in my collection.

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit
Anyone else having playback problems with The Cheyenne Social Club / Firecreek dual sided disc? I've tried it on 3 different players and they all freeze or skip at various spots during The Cheyenne Social Club. :frowning:

I haven't checked the Firecreek side yet.

Thanks,

Jean Paul :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Uh Oh! I've had a lot of problems with 2-sided discs in the past, but primarily with discs from Universal. I'll check mine ASAP and let you know my findings.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Never heard about James Dean being cast for SPIRIT.
I do know the part was offered to John Kerr, who for some reason, turned it down !!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By this time, more of you should have watched "The Naked Spur" dvd and I'm interested to see if any of you agree with my assessment of the dvd quality or is the dvd absolutely terrible?

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,

It's not the best example of a restored movie, but it's NOT absolutely terrible.

In fact, it's the old story: it's the best version I have ever seen this film in, but you need to know that my other version is an NTSC VHS tape.

This is an excellent opportunity to own this movie for a very reasonable price (together with the others)! I'm glad I own this box set.

Cees

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
"The Naked Spur" looks a bit blurry and "dupey" in a way that suggests that it is the source element used for transfer, and not the transfer itself that is the problem. It looks like it was from the same source or one of equivalent generation, to the video master used for the TCM broadcasts, but it is noticeably better than any broadcast or tape I have seen to date. The compression is good and there are no intrusive video processing artifacts based on my viewing of it upscaled to 720p windowboxed on a 100" 16:9 screen.

Regards,

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I recently recorded The Naked Spur to DVD+R direct from a Digital TV Broadcast.
When I got the new James Stewart Set I took a look at The Naked Spur and straight away agreed that it looked awful and it did not appear to be as good as my recent off air recording.
But! upon comparison, I found that to my astonishment the new Warner DVD was in fact slightly better.
So I am of the opinion, that as poor as it is, this is about as good as it can get, without a major restoration.

I have an original Technicolor 35mm film frame of The Naked Spur in my collection and other than the superior sharpness and detail in the film clip, the DVD colors are very close to the original.

Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed The Cheyenne Social Club.
Nice quality image.
No troubles with the disc here.

M

Member 323668

Why are we always talking about a "major restoration" to achieve acceptable pq of older titles? The DVD transfer of "The Naked Spur" obviously comes from an old SD composite D2 master. If I am correct, Warner have two "Spirit Datacine" telecines in Burbank. Why didn't they just perform a new scan of the existing interpositive elements?

Honestly, I did not expect a "major restoration" of the film elements of TNS, not to speak of the "Ultra resolution" process of the three strip technicolor negatives. But I really expected a properly done HD-based rescan of the available elements. Has this older interpositive Mr. Harris referred to faded that much since it's last SD telecine which probably was done in the early 90's?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Why "obviously"? the transfer appears to be progressive to me and I did not notice any composite video artifacts other than the example from the titles which could be something else.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with you about it not being acceptable PQ for "The Naked Spur" so I guess we're to that point of agree to disagree about this issue.:)

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks