What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Jackie Brown" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Watched Jackie Brown last night for the 1st time. I have refused to watch it Pan and scanned on TV or on VHS, so I patiently waited for the DVD. My patience paid off. What a wonderful film. The performances and story telling were top notch. Pam Grier was fantastic. I loved the one shot when Jackie comes to Mel's beach house, and Tarantino does that circular camera move when Jackie and Jackson's character go outside the sliding doors to talk. The transfer looked pretty good to me and the DTS soundtrack sounded excellent, especially the music.

Since I only have seen Jackie Brown once and Pulp Fiction many times, so I can't comment which I like better. Right now I would have to give the nod to Pulp, but that could change with repeated viewing's of Jackie Brown.

-Dean-

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i have the same text commentary problem. called the Buena Vista # and they had no clue what i was talking about. They took my info down...

could this be a problem with the whole 1st pressing?

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I noticed the sync problem on the trivia subtitles too.
Also, I highly recommend the alternate opening in the Deleted and Alternate Scenes -- what a hoot! :laugh:
Rob

MatS

Screenwriter
Same problem here. Sad that this kind of stuff gets by QC. :thumbsdown: I wonder if any remedy will truly be offered.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
It'd 2:30am and I just finished watching and now I am watching the special features. I have a question or two.

1.When DeNiro and Fonda are talking after Jackson leaves, Fonda asks when the last time she saw DeNiro. In which he replies "6-7 years." Am I missing something? No way there was a six to seven year jump.

2.Anyone ever ask QT why he made it so Sam Jackson just played Pam's biAtch, because why couldn't Sam Jackson just kill her another time. Sam Jackson honestly coudn't find another trustworthy person to transport his money?

3. [Edit] I just remembered the question I knew I forgot. At the end when Sam Jackson get shizzot, Jackie B. says "Ray, he's gotta gun," but he didn't. Does she not get penalized for assuming for the better likely scenario. Someone died as a result of her "misjudgement." I know in reality, someone could get like some degree murder.
Thanks
-Bert

Gregory E

Second Unit
I thought Sam Jackson DID have a gun! After he gets shizzot, they turn the lights on, walk over to him, and kick the gun out of his hand, right? I thought that's how it went down....

I just watched my copy for the first time tonight. It was pretty good, but I thought the transfer could have been better. I saw a lot of artifacts or video noise...whatever you wanna call it. And I didn't check for the problem with the text commentary....I just assume mine's messed up too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the lip synch problem shows up if you use this feature when you select it throught the standard tv main menu extra features section.

this also happens when you do this on your computer dvd player.

but if you use the dvd-rom menu , which appears different, you do not get the lip synch problem.

in fact the movie version appears in a framed window with the trivia bits appearing under the actual frame of the movie in it's own frame not in the movie frame.
it also tells you how many seconds until the next factoid.

BarryS

Second Unit
I picked up Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown today. I've been waiting for these DVDs for a long time, especially Jackie Brown. I already owned the old Pulp and just watched it a couple of months ago or so. I had to buy the Collector's Edition though, because it's a must-have movie (I recently sold my old movie-only edition) and I'm sure that Best Buy will raise the price after the first week. I watched Jackie Brown tonight and saved Pulp for later.
Wow. I'm still impressed by this movie. I've been a fan of JB sine I saw it theatrically in early 1998. I went to see it with a friend who I think was bored the whole time, but I was engrossed. I've watched it a time or two since then on VHS, so this was probably my 4th viewing. I hold this movie in at least as high regard as Pulp Fiction. I think PF gets just a little bit higher marks for being so outlandishly energetic and influential. It literally turned the film world on its head. Jackie Brown caused no such ruckus in the industry and often gets unjustly overlooked. I feel, though, it's every bit as good as Pulp Fiction. It's more concerned with characters and story than PF and takes time to thoroughly establish both. Where PF feels much like a comic book (as admitted by the title), JB seems to be about real people.
Well, I just love Jackie Brown and wish it got near as much praise as Pulp.
Jackie Brown - :star::star::star::star: out of four.
Pulp Fiction - :star::star::star::star: out of four.
BTW, did anyone notice Tarantino's audible cough during the scene where Melanie and Louis discuss ripping off Ordell? I had headphones on, so I heard it quite clear.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Thanks for mentioning The Philadelphia Inquirer first and double-thanks for that final screen shot! :emoji_thumbsup:
I bought my Pulp Fiction today, but now you guys are making me regret not buying the pair. Something for a future shopping trip!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I also found another error on this disc:

During the Soundtrack Menu feature on Disc 1, if you select the Vampyros Lesbos song "The Lions and the Cucumber" (which plays during Ordells's phone conversation with Max Cherry near the end) the disc takes you to another song that plays during the credits.

Selecting another track "Grass is Greener" actually takes you to "The Lions and the Cucumber" song.

I discovered this right away because I am a huge fan of the Vampyros Lesbos soundtrack and knew it wasn't the right moment in the film.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Jackie Brown was a perfect follow up by Tarantino to Pulp Fiction! I still like Pulp Fiction quite a bit better, but Jackie Brown is also a great film!
I purchased both of these at BB for $27! Will watch PF tonight! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
"I wish The Arena was on dvd."

It is. Full frame only and a less than stellar transfer. It came out with a bunch of other Roger Corman titles. The good thing is it's cheap and you can still see all of the actor's breast(plates).

Dave

Johnny wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Been waiting a long time for this one and I have to say the wait was well worth it. Very impressed with the package.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Having been through the feature, I'll just make some quick points.

The Jackie Brown transfer was very pleasing, in fact I would give it the slight node over the Pulp Fiction transfer. Overall, it was more detailed with lovely, accurate colors and a clean print. What I found most impressive were the skin tones, nearly dead on and were the highlight of the transfer for me. I think this has something to do with the source materials rather than the transfer itself, but I found Pulp Fiction a little soft at times. Nonethess, great job by Miramax and I am pleased to own both these great films on DVD. (Viewed on a Pioneer Elite 510HD, ISF calibrated)

As for the audio, the DTS track was adequate which was expected for a movie of this type. Nothing was over or undercooked - everything was nicely balanced and brought out the highlights of the track; again I love QT's choice and use of music in his films.

Excited to go through the extra material over the next day or two!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks