What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Howl's Moving Castle - VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEDED (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I was wondering the same thing - ie. compression artifacts on the UK screenshot. Maybe it is jpeg compression of the screenshot and not from the transfer itself?

Bleddyn, the artwork I found is the front cover from the Japanese R2 release. However, it is not burdened by any text and is basically virgin! 1400x1971 resolution. It does have some jpeg compression artifacts, but fortunately not really noticeable.

This is what it looks like. Unfortunately a very low res screenshot.

Click here.

I cannot find the original anywhere - I had forgotten where it came from. :frowning:

I can email it to anyone who wants it - PM me with your email. I hope this is legal. :)

Steve: Any screenshots of the HMV slipcase cover around?

RyanWM

Auditioning

There are two subtitle tracks on this DVD, just as there has been for all of Disney's Ghibli DVDs. (I didn't check the tracks for Howl's unfortunately, and just put it back in the Netflix envelope- d'oh!) I looked at the menus for Howl's, though, and the first one is labeled "Closed Captioning for the Hearing Impaired, English" and the second was "Subtitles, English." If it's anything like the Spirited Away and Pom Poko DVDs (and I'm betting it is), the first is the closed captioning for the English dub, and the second is the subtitles for the Japanese version. The wording on both is different. (On the "Pom Poko" DVD, the English dub and closed-captioning, which is geared toward a family audience, used the word "pouch" when referring to the racoon's secret weapon. The English subtitles for the Japanese version uses the word "testicles.")

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Max, I'm afraid that thumbnail on post #50 is the biggest I can find, sort of similar to the picture in your link.
Btw I prefer Howl's US title logo to the UK, oh well. :)

Here are some more screengrabs:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks