What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Jim-M

Second Unit
I wonder if the 30+ minute version of the pilot is what was aired on TV or if the shorter version was shown? I did some googling and the only thing I could find was some guy's blog where he wrote that the CH version of the pilot has several minutes that were never shown on TV. It appears his only basis for saying that is because of the runtime.

Also, I found this page that has some photos of what the CH discs look like (disc art, cover art, etc).
http://www.hogansheroesfanclub.com/v...resSeries1.php

The photos appear to be a little different packaging than what is currently available. These show 4 episodes per disc whereas now it is 6-7. One of the photos shows an insert with the Production Notes. The Production Notes are now on the disc as an option in the menu for each episode.

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
All I know is that pilot ep notwithstanding, I love the full remaining episodes. Are they in order? It seemed odd that the 2nd ep would be the Tiger episode.

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
ABout those Columbia House DVD releases? Now I see some on Ebay, yet the ones I see list as 7 eps on Vol, yet I thought these had 4 eps on the disc? Can anyone confirm?

So to confirm is the CH dvd release contains the full version of The Informer like the CBS Video release?

Dave Farley

Second Unit

Jim-M,

That has me wondering now too. That episode is over 30 minutes without commercials. Would they have run a pilot commercial-free back in 1965 or ran it in a longer than 30-minute slot? Could this longer pilot be the one that was pitched to the network but not the one they showed the public?

Also, you listed the run time of the pilot at :00:30:35 on the Columbia House DVD. I'm assuming you've got this one? Do you have the four episode version or the newer seven episode release? Since I've only got it on VHS, I'd like to pick up the Columbia House Volume 1, Season 1 disc, but I want to be sure I get one with the 30-minute version. That's assuming that one of the two might have the shorter version.

Dave Farley

Second Unit

The older CH release had a 4 episode version and the newer CH release had 7 episodes on the disc. I just posed the same question to Jim above. I'd like to make sure the 7 episode version from CH has the 30-minute pilot as opposed to the 26-minute version. The new Paramount set has 7 episodes on one disc, just like the later Columbia House release, and the Paramount set has only the 26-minute pilot. I'd hate to go on Ebay someday and buy the 7 episode CH release and end up with another 26-minute pilot. Hopefully, Jim or Daniel will know.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Well, here's a section of a review I found this morning by a "Kert Conrad" at Amazon on 3/16:

"The only disappointment in the set is the pilot episode. The DVD version of "The Informer" is longer than the one shown in syndication, but it's still quite a bit shorter than the original program shown to CBS execs. A few years ago, a 3-volume set of HOGAN'S HEROES was released on VHS, and it included an unedited version of the pilot that ran a full 30 minutes (even without commercials). The complete episode features different music during the opening credits and contains several minutes of additional scenes not shown on the DVD. Most notably missing is the entire ending sequence with Klink and Hogan making a bet on how long it will take for the kommandant to become GENERAL Klink. It seems odd that the complete version of the pilot would not be included here, since a good print of it obviously still exists."

He mentions the same longer version being previously released, as well as it being the version shown to network execs. I wonder if that last part is factual or just an assumption he made. It certainly seems possible and Jim made mention of a similar possibility as well.

Maybe the DVD version is what actually aired forty years ago. :confused:

Jim-M

Second Unit
I have the 7 episode disc from CH that has the longer pilot. It's available from the regular CH DVD club - I didn't get it from the TV club they have. Unfortunately it's not an enrollment selection; however, if you go by average cost of the DVDs you get the first disc could cost you less than $7.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Thanks for the information, Jim. Hopefully, I can find the 7 episode disc on Ebay so that way I'll have the 30-minute version on DVD instead of this VHS tape.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Dave,

I just checked Ebay and only see 1 seller for Season 1 Volume 1. The item is titled 'DVD - Hogan's Heroes - Season 1 Volume 1 - Sealed'. There is currently 1 bid for $9.75. S&H is $2.50.

You might want to consider doing a CH account. Check out the Club forum at DVDTalk and with the right codes you get get the disc for about $6 if you look at it as the average cost of all the DVDs you get from the account. CH's regular price for the Season 1 Volume 1 disc is $19.95, so you could use it as one of your 2 fulfillments. Some people are averse to CH, but I thought I'd mention it as a possible way to get it.

It would be very interesting if someone had both a CH disc and the new season 1 set to compare the video quality. Sounds like the new ones used new masters and I wonder how much better they are.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Jim,

Thanks a lot for the information on the Ebay auction and checking it out for me. I just won another auction for one that ended a little over an hour ago for about $13. I'm not sure if we can link Ebay auctions here or not, but if so, it might be a good idea for anyone else wanting that version of the pilot.

I found another site last night where a poster with some of the CH releases and the new Paramount release said that the new set has much better color and consistency from episode to episode. He did complain about Paramount not bringing over liner notes and episode summaries though.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think there's only so much complaining you cando I paid $24.99 for the set pretty dang good. The Pilot is as I remember seeing it.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. I never saw the pilot episode [The Informer], but found it hilarious. Seemed a little choppy. Maybe I'll check out the CH of this. Of course, I just want the one disk with the full version of this episode, not have to go through all the obligation stuff for this.

Back in the day, when I was actually working, I built up pretty good sized VHS and CD collections through CH. I was just starting on a DVD collection when I lost my job and sustained a disabling injury.

As it stands with the rest of the episodes, it has been AGES since I have seen HH and the eps are just as funny as I remember them, if not funnier. My brother and I have been alarming the neighbors with howls of laughter. :D

Jim-M

Second Unit

I haven't seen the new set, but that sounds exactly right in where the improvements would be. There is color inconsistency in the CH episodes. Not unwatchable and not a problem for me, but definitely something that could be improved upon. If the new set is like the quality of the HDNet episodes that is great for those of you who have it.

Dave Farley

Second Unit

I don't know. It could be that the pilot on the set is the version that originally aired and the long version was just for the network executives. That's probably the case.

On the other hand, with respect to this set or any TV set, a low price isn't justification for edited episodes or missing music. Just because the price is low doesn't mean that we should be quiet and accept anything. I think it would be a terrible mistake if we willingly accept edited episodes or replacement music in exchange for low prices. I'm not willing to do that. A set could be $9.99 or $49.99, but if the episodes are edited or in the case of some series, missing music, it's absolutely worthless to me either way.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I just finished watching it and I am impressed. In terms of
picture quality I give it an A. It's obvious that some work was done on this. There were no obvious scratches or dirt on the episodes. I also thought the episodes were remarkably
consistent. I know Paramount is wating to do a breakneck schedule and I hope they can keep up the good they did with both Hogan's Heroes and The Brady Bunch.

Scott Hassel

Auditioning
Well, I thoroughly enjoy Hogan's Heroes. All I can say at this point, is that I hope to see S2 very very soon.

BTW, after having all the episodes on CH vhs tapes for years the DVD's are FANTASTIC by comparison.

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning
I have one show left on disk 3 that I am getting ready to watch.
Trying to pace myself, might be awhile until Season 2,3,4,5 and 6 :)

Hey Scott Hassel, I work in Jacksonville, FL. Small world...

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I got the 7 episode Columbia House DVD from Ebay in the mail this weekend. Sure enough, the 30 minute pilot episode like Jim mentioned. The episode looks good. If anybody else wants the longer pilot, this is the one to find.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Are you the one who aced me out in the bidding? :)

Hopefully another one will emerge later on the trade market, but in the meantime I am impressed with the quality of the regular episodes and restoring the "CBS presents this program in color" opening I thought was a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks