What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Hero (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Seeing comparisons to the Miramax release is what I meant to say I wanted. Yes, I have thoroughly explored the existing comparisons on DVD Beaver :) I have the standard length GD Face release.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Good thing I stopped by this thread. Hero was on my purchase list for tomorrow, but I think I'll scratch it now. If Miramax can't get the video right on a film as beautiful as this, they don't get my money. If I absolutely can't resist, I might by it used in a month for $10. That will at least last until an SE is released.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The video quality is very disappointing to hear, add me in the FP group. Plus I had one of the worst movie going experiences while watching Hero. (Beyond obnoxious kid constantly talking and asking questions, the first being "Do they ever speak English?" and then coming back in with a gift from his mom, bubble gum which he continued to pop for the final 30 minutes.)

So needless to say I really wanted to get this tomorrow but I guess I'll pass and import instead. Now which import to get? From the DVDBeaver site it looks like either the region 2 or region 3 discs would be the ones to find. Any thoughts?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
No way I'm paying $17.99 for such a badly botched video presentation. I'll rent it at Hollywood Video for $1 tomorrow and Miramax can chalk up another lost sale! :angry:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, now that the GD Face standard length release is not legitimately available from North American-based companies, what are people's options for importing?

EDIT: Of course there's always eBay...but many of them seem like bootlegs.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I dunno. I have about the same size set, I sit pretty far back (much farther than David's 1.75 screen widths rule as I have a BIG room), and that doesn't describe my copy of CM. Not sure how someone who seems to know what they are looking for can give such praise to discs that are almost universally panned. :confused:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Even though I've had one of the Asian releases for a while now, I wanted to support this release, hoping that studios would get the message that we would like to see more high-profile releases of this type of film in R1. However, I don't want to give them the message that we'll accept subpar transfers.

I dunno; I'll have to think about it. Wonderful film, though. Thanks for the review, David. :)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Allow me to chime in and express my dissapointment in the video presentation on this disc, and say that the transfer has lost a sale. Fix it and I'll be first in line to buy.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to take a tour of the DVD mastering/production house that MIRAMAX is using and see just what's going on...

Wonder if it's "somebody's kid" who's working there so they can't get rid of him. Wonder if the techies are all scrutinizing video on 27" monitors. Wonder if their Edge-enhancement dial "goes to eleven...". Wonder if everything looks just great until the compressionist gets a hold of the master and then nobody thinks to look at the final result after he's done to compare it against the source tape on a decent screen...

Whatever the case, I sure would love to solve this mystery. Is anyone else as confused as me why the folks at MIRAMAX don't seem to care? They've got such an incredible film library. You'd think these would be just the sort of people who do what they do because they *do* care. Curious...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Miramax's version is not yet included in the comparison, since Gary, the owner of DVD Beaver, doesn't get advanced copies of anything, as far as I know.

Dave_H

Grip
This review is useless to me unless someone can compare it to the Chinese GDF Region-0 release. (the good Chinese region-0 release)

Has anyone seen both of them and can commment on which is better picture wise?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Would anyone care to send me/bring over the R0 import version so we can do an A/B comparison and update the review?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm going to try renting it today to do a comparison. I'll post with my observations.

Also, even if EDKO is releasing a special edition, what does that mean for us North Americans being able to actually purchase a legit copy at a reasonable price? I usually go through HKFlix, but anytime Miramax or Disney gets hold of an overseas property they block all other releases from sale.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, this is very disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing this film, but cannot justify spending money on such a poor video transfer. Cold Mountain looked like crap on my 56-inch display. I've stopped pre-ordering Miramax titles since CM and now wait for the reviews. Thanks for saving me some money, David.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's an excellent question because I was wondering the same thing myself. David, IMO your rating doesn't match your criticism.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks