What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Hearts in Atlantis" - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I rented it today and just finished watching it. My first impression is that I'm glad I rented it first. It is a good film but I wouldn't say it's up there with a repeat viewing kind of movie. The acting was top notch but I never really got involved with the characters. I wish there was a little more history with Hopkins character. It seems as though they edited this down for time like they did for All The Pretty Horses. This film seemd to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd give it 3 out of five stars.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
This is not too bad a film, but it is a terrible adaptation of the book. I was really disappointed, because this could have been up there with Shawshank.

All the character development had been cut, to leave what seems like a "best of" montage from the book. The "Lord of the Flies book scenes" being the most obvious ones that spring to mind. What a waste of a great story, and accomplished actors.

Ryan_SS

Grip
Yes for those of us that read the book, this movie makes us loathe the money we spent to go see it. I have tried to see it objectively but could not take how they ruined WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN. I am glad people who have not read the book get a fresh perspective, but unfortunatly for the millions of us King fans this is a horrible adaptation.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Ok - finally saw this. Thanks Mat - I think there was a little more depth to it than just reciting a grocery list.

The movie is on the surface very close to part of the book but the sum of all the changes make this seem like a 'lite' version of the book. The relationship among the kids was OK but not done nearly as well as in Stand By Me.

Hopkins was good but whenever he said, 'kiddo', it jarred me out of the movie for some reason.

As others have mentioned - it seems so frustrating to have the movie catch glimpses of the book only to slide back into safer territory.

Frustrating also because the casting was so well done.

To me, King books work better as a mini-series or as a longer movie hitting the 3 hour mark. The time is needed to setup the characters otherwise the payoff never seems to be there.

Taking the movie as a separate entity I would give it a marginal thumbs up.

The book was one of King's better recent works.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I just watched this movie and loved it, but had not read the book. I am a huge Stephen King fan, but agree that there was little of the King "feel" to this movie.
I strongly agree that most of King's work is more suited to the longer miniseries format, Christine and Misery being the most notable exceptions. I just can't see The Stand working as even a 3 or 4 hour theatrical feature.
King's work also has a sorta "lowbrow/working class/Saturday Horror Matinee" feel to it that just doesn't come across in a "cinema" type movie. Imho, Kubrick's The Shining is a great movie, but it ain't Stephen King and I'd rather see the miniseries version, warts and all.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Just finished watching. Not bad. Halfway through the movie I was wondering what direction they were going. But it turned out okay. The video was good. Anthony Hopkins was excellent in it. I only wish they didn't have to include the Montana joke. ;)
Jon

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I saw this Friday Night and thouroughly enjoyed it, it reminded me of Stand By Me in tone. I Did not read the book andmaybe that's a plus as most that did compared it to that source and disliked it. I took it at face level and really enjoyed it. I like these coming of Age pics. The were all really well cast, especially the younger ones. Hopkins was his usual greatness with a nicely understated Performance. There were really no true bad guys, which was refreshing, even the "Low Men" showed concern for Bobby when he told him to go home. Bobby's Mother was'nt one note either, Bobby was dissapointed in her, but still loved her. Also Am I the only one here that feels DavidMorse is one of our most under apreciated actors? I see this guy time inand out turn in great performances, here and In Greeen Mile among others, yet he's never praised. Anyhow this was a rental for me but I'll be picking it uppreviously viewed when it hits.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Uggg. I was very disappoianted with this movie. I hyped it all up to my wife after reading this thread so we decided to rent it last weekend. This is one of the few movies I can think of where I thought the acting was excellent but I still did not like the movie.

Maybe my wife and I just aren't on the same wavelength as most of the posters here because we just didn't get it. I absolutely love Stand By Me and Shawshank is my all time favorite drama... maybe my expectations were too high. I just didn't care that much what happened to the characters, no matter how hard I tried.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This movie didn't really remind me of Stand By Me - which I thought was a better movie. I think Stand By Me was a "deeper" film, if you will.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
This is one of the few movies I can think of where I thought the acting was excellent but I still did not like the movie.
That's a lot of what I feel like (kind of like Pay it Forward). I do like the movie, but about the way I like, Now and then, or My Girl. It's not a movie I love, but it is tolerably made.
as I've said before most of my problems stem from the potential this film had. the end film is solid and enjoyable, but it could have been so much more... sigh...
at this point i'm beating a dead horse though, :P
Adam

Merconium

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
My wife picked this out one night.

It was a wonderful story, with a great transfer. Beautifully acted on all accounts.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this last night. I agree with what seems to be the consensus of this thread. It is a nice movie if you haven't read the book. If you have, you will likely be disappointed.

The good: The DVD is a very nice transfer. The anamorphic widescreen is beautiful. The acting was good. Hopkins is excellent as always. Anton wasn't right to me as Bobby at first, but I warmed up to him after awhile. The supporting cast was hit and miss.

The disappointing aspect for King fans is that there isn't much of King here. The deep nostalgia that is stirred by reading Hearts in Atlantis is not captured by the film. The basic plot is lifted, touched up a bit to make for a "nicer" story, and is presented in a way that makes you wonder if the director wished it hadn't been written by King. MAJOR themes are completely left out of the movie. There is very little suspense at all in the film, and I would suspect many viewers would be surprised to know that the short story "Low Men in Yellow Coats" (from which most of this movie's plot is derived) is VERY suspensful.

Those who haven't read the book will have many questions left unanswered by the movie. That is frustrating for viewers but good because you should REALLY read this book.

Oscar

Second Unit
:) :emoji_thumbsup: I loved this movie, and the DVD is good too, but if you didnt like neither of the two, i respect your opinion

Oscar

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup: :) I liked this movie, and the DVD is good too, and if you didnt like the movie or the DVD thats ok, i respect and appreciate your opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks