What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (2 Viewers)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
When I showed this movie to my favorite relatives, who happened to be a first time audience to our home theater, on Thanksgiving day, I was very embarrassed to see the wavy white lines in the very dark scenes. My first reaction was, I must tell these people I didn't use cheap cables and all connections are solid, and that this has never happened before.:confused:

Such a powerful movie, and to take away the "film like" nature of the exhibit was a bitter disappointment for me.

This flawed DVD should be replaced. The lack of quality should not be accepted by the consumer. If it is allowed on a film of this caliber, then what next?

Chapter 27, in particular, showed the wavy lines in the shadows of the trees and anywhere the scenes had dark spots. The last fade from Chapter 27 and starting chapter 28 is saturated with them.

It puzzles me greatly:confused:, that more people didn't notice the flaw. Is it possible that a batch of the DVD's that have a number on them like, 301 or 302, don't have the problem? The batch sold in Northern California sure does. :angry:

Paul

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I suspect that how noticeable they are depends greatly on the brightness and contrast settings of the display device.

M.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Statement of the year! I miss my Warner Two-Disc SE's in digipak form. I'd love to have seen Shawshank look as spiffy as Casablanca or Meet Me in St. Louis. And continuity is always preferred. Warner had no problem continuing their Adult Swim sets (Space Ghost/ATHF) with digipaks, so what's the problem here?

greg_t

Screenwriter
So far I haven't noticed them, but I haven't popped it into my widescreen yet, just gave it a quick view on a 27" TV. Maybe I'll see them on the widescreen. I'm suprised the Digital Bits hasn't posted something about this yet. They are usually all over this sort of thing and do get responses from the studios.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Well I'm using my Component output with special cables and my DVD Player is set to progressive. I have a Plasma HDTV. Should I get them?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I too noticed these lines. I paused the movie several times to check my cabling to see if I had some sort of ground loop problem.

Although I am relieved to see its not a problem with my system I am disturbed that something as obvious as this could escape quality control on a major release.

I am a little worried that perhaps this some sort of new copy control or digital watermark.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Well, there goes the region watermark theory. I took another look at this the other night, and yep, I spotted the odd intereference pattern at the fade-outs mentioned. Not too pleased with this disc at all. The other Harry Potters haven't been the strongest in terms of presentation and extras, but this transfer seems just plain flawed. Hopefully somebody will hear back from Warners; if memory serves, they're pretty consistent about addressing problems. However, with high-profile releases (*cough* Star Wars), you never know...

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Question:

I've heard there is a box set of all 3 movies. 1) Is this true and 2) are the two previous versions in new packaging or the old cardboard cases you can buy individually? Thanks guys.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Fred, your question was covered early in this thread. You can search for one of my posts in this thread if you like.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
I just went and checked my R4 copy, and I've got a 302 as well. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, considering my disc was made in Australia as well.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
We finally watched this last night. Thought the image & sound were terrific. A really good audio mix.

No watermarks, #'s or cross pattern issues here.

:emoji_thumbsup:

TonyDale

Second Unit
I watched my copy last night, cross patterns galore. I'll check for the watermark later, but, I didn't notice it while viewing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How did Tim get the only good copy?

"301" and lots of cross patterns on mine, too.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

:D I guess I should watch it again, but I really didn't notice anything bad. It all looked great. I do plan on another viewing soon though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.