What's new

Hardware Review HTF REVIEW: Harmony 880 Remote (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Remove all of your devices and activities. Logitech also says that you can clear the remote by "upgrading" the firmware.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm interested in this remote but I have some reservations about all the configuration being done via a website. I keep having visions of Logitech using information on our setups for less than ethical purposes. Configuration via computer is a nice feature but truthfully I don't want them to see what I have programmed. I also have visions of them changing their website access to a subscription-based model or as a way to introduce targeted advertising. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I doubt that Logitech will ever require a subscription to program the remote, so that doesn't worry me. At one time they did charge a subsrciption for the program guide, but I wasn't interested in that feature anyway. As for advertising, I have not plugged my SST-659 into my PC in over a year, so Logitech would have a tough time "targeting" me. Once you have the remote programmed to your satisfaction, you'll probably only plug it in when you change components in your system.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
They have a privacy agreement on the web site that promises to NOT use your information for marketing purposes.

Let's face it: having a button (or 60) push out IR codes when pressed is a simple task. But the problem with most remotes is programming them. It takes a lot of memory/software/documentation (read $$$) to make it easy to setup. After that, all the money is wasted.

Having separate PC software is a lot cheeper for the Mfg to do. Then putting updated software on the web with new codes for new devices (or updateing old ones) is another cheap innovation. This is NOT going to be a profit center for them - but makes the remote more powerful and cheaper because they dont have to build in thousands of codes and create setup software in the remote.

I used to work building identity-fraud systems so I am a bit more paranoid than most about what information of mine goes out. But this .. I dont have much problem with.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

I completely understand that. But why not just have a piece of software you install? Then, you can tell the software to go check for updates if you need it. And if it comes across a code it does not have, there's an option to notify Logitech so then can build it into the next update. All the data stays on your PC and not their servers. It's the idea that you cannot, in any way shape or form, use their product without registering on their website and letting everything be stored on their servers is what bugs me the most.

I know why they choose the web-based setup. It makes it easier for their techs to troubleshoot problems. And by having all your on their servers, you won't lose all your programming should your PC die or something most people don't anticipate. It's all about making things easier for them, I know, but I still question if it's in the best interest of their customers.

Oh well, I'll probably give in and buy one anyway. I've been burned by several times in the past (once with Logitech, ironically enough), but hey, what's once more? The remote does seem really cool and functional, I suppose I'll get my $250 worth out of it before Logitech deems it obsolete and decides to render it useless. I know I'm probably being overly paranoid and it's interesting, I guess, to see I'm the only one.

wally

Second Unit
Anyone know if you can control a Dish 811 with a Harmony? It struck me when I set up the sat receiver to test that it has an RF antenna you screw in the back. My guess is it won’t. Would this be a problem with all universal remotes? Don’t think it’s a deal breaker, but I’d like to know prior to cracking my 688 open.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Just got mine from Crutchfield. Man is this thing amazing. It is soooo easy to use. My girlfriend....who could make none of it work before loves the fact that all you need to do is press the activity button!

Sam Liang

Auditioning
Got mine 880 setup last night, it looks good, feels good, but only proble is when I try watch tv activity, it doesn't select th correct input. i can see on the TV screen it's going thru the input selections S-video1, ANT-TV..etc.. went thru the whol cycle, and ended at ANT-TV, but my reciever is plug into to Svideo-2..

Another question, not sure if this is allowed to be posted or not. Is CAD$26x.00 a good price?
I looked around, BB and FS all selling for ~300+
even online in the US, all selling around USD$250.00(and most the ceaper ones has no stock). If anyone knows I can get a better deal, pls email me. My father in-law is looking for one as well..(But I am too cheap to get him one haa)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

I had a similar problem with the Harmony
not selecting the right input on my TV for
one of the functions.

I wish I could give you the exact steps,
but essentially from the Internet web page
configurator I went to the piece of equipment
I was having problems with (in this case the TV)
and made sure that the INPUT on the webpage
configurator matched mine.

In other words, their Toshiba diagram for my
model did not have the EXACT inputs that my
TV did. I had to add them (and I am doing this
all from memory) by selecting ADD INPUTS on the
webpage side and then taking my TV remote and
transmitting the corresponding button comand to
the Harmony remote.

In still other words, the Harmony remote was
learning a new input command for the TV that
did not exist in its database before.

Perhaps this is your problem here.

JamesL

Agent
can anyone tell me how long the first charge should take...

I sense something is wrong ...

I still have 1 green bar - background says charge remote firt - charge bars scrolls to 3 to indicate charging but its been quite a while since its been stitting on the re-charger and based on some reports at remote central some chargers have been lemons.

Sam Liang

Auditioning
I charged my remote for about 1 hour before I plug it into the computer. Once the setup information is completed, You should not see the "charge your remote first" or " press here for demo"(something like that)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Yes.

The dish remotes are dual remotes: RF and IR. The Harmony only provides the IR signals. But it works fine with my Dish 5xx series of PVR's.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Leila Dougan, you don't have too put in your true personal info if you don't want too.

Kevin

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I want this remote soo bad! I had been eyeing the Sony AV3100 for a while and to my surprise, a close friend of mine actually got me one for X-Mas last year. It would be insulting if I bought this remote now and got rid of the Sony that she saved money for for months to get me...I might be able to think of something.

Will New

Auditioning
Hello,

I'm new to the HTF. I'm running a Denon AVR 2803 with Mirage Omnisat micro speakers, but I've lost the remote. I also recently moved and have to perform the setup features again. Would anyone know if the Harmony 880 can perform the setup function like the factory remote?

thanks for all your help,

Richard_T

Second Unit
I have a question. About a week back I formatted my hard drive. I do this once a year to clean stuff up and get rid of old software I no longer use. Anyway. Once I formatted, I reinstalled the Logitech software and went back to the site. Unfortuanely, I found my entire setup was gone including the 400 CD titles and Artists I spent an entire afternoon inputting! Now I have to start all over again!

Does anyone know if Logitech can recover any of my setup info or how it works? Is it all stored as cookies or what? Damn I don't want to try to figure out how I set up everything again. Can anyone help?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
If it makes anyone feel better, the remote took 3 days for me to get to a full charge.
-Great remote w/ Harmony functionality.
-Buttons feel flimsy. I have never liked remotes w/ the "donut" for up,down, left and right. The Channel and Volume buttons too thin.
-It has limited IR range when it goes into battery conserve mode. You'll know when this happens.
-This is anal, but I do not like hitting "Activity" to change activities. The Hard buttons were nice on the other Harmony remotes.
-It needs some tweaking of "delays" and "repeats" to speed it up.

Personally I like the Harmony 659 (needs better aesthetics and skip chapter button to be close to perfect) and the 680 (same donut issue and stupid activity icons.)
Also, the HTM remotes just feel right in my hands, especially the new ones that fixed their toggles.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Christmas came early this year. I ordered myself the new Harmony 880. I was looking around for a few months now, but pulled the trigger last week when I saw a really good deal online.

Onsale.com was having a sale on the remote for $154.99 on Friday morning. So, I jumped all over it and ordered the remote. An hour later, they mark up the price to $189.99.

Do you have any pointers or tips for the remote? I hear that you can program the new remote with your existing account on the site, without having to enter in your equipments again.

Is that true?

I've been using the 688 since last year. It was a Christmas gift and it rawks!

I just can't wait for the 880!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks