What's new

HTF REVIEW: Grease (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John, I notice you're in HK, do you have the R1 DVD?

Also, is your calibrated to reduce overscan? That may be why the name is cropped - I can't say until I get my copy next week.

I know before I had my set ISF'd a lot of credits that went to within 5% of the edge of the frame were cut off by overscan. Once adjusted (now I have about 3% overscan all around) I don't notice any more cropping.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is overscan, I used to think the actress who portrayed Rizzo was actually named Tockard Hanning I've seen this cropped for so long.

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
In case you didn't notice, there is a P&S version released as well, so be careful you don't pick up the wrong one.
I just picked mine up today, I thought Sept 24 was the release day.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I just got this today and I got the Candian version. It is bilingual cover and back cover.:frowning: I'm most dissappointed with edge enhancement on this title. It is everywhere! I had to buy this since my wife loves the film! To tell you the truth, I liked it too back in 98. I saw it twice in the theater.:)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the overseas version will have this stupid packaging?:frowning:

TedD

Supporting Actor
Can you spell "Overscan" It's not cropped on the DVD when played on an HTPC and a calibrated and properly adjusted FP.

Ted

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i have a "safe" amount of overscan. i've calibrated with AVIA, and have only had this problem with 2 dvd's out of hundreds - this problem with the Grease dvd, and the titles on the "gag" opening of the HOLY GRAIL special edition dvd (with the fake old movie titles)...both are cropped on the left side.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Sean, there is no such thing as a safe amount of overscan when it comes to film.:D Overscan is a video thing and does not apply to films shot for theatical exibition.
You have before you exibit "A" in the form of the Grease DVD.
As a matter of fact the 35mm print has your missing "S" right at the edge of the 2.40:1 frame, so the only way that it could be protected against overscan would be to windowbox the whole main title, which is a practice that is being used on some of the older 1.33:1 titles, including the Disney cartoon tins.
I despise this practice as at ruins the "theatrical presentation" to have black surrounding the titles and then have the image expand when the titles are done.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks