What's new

HTF REVIEW: Grease (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, this film is one that I've enjoyed since I was a kid. Mediocre transfer, overcooked sountrack, and lacking extras notwithstanding, I'm going to be purchasing this film because it's the only way I can see it in OAR (don't own an LD player).

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I would not be surprised if a SE comes out in 1 1/2 years.
On the whole, Paramount doesn't much believe in re-releasing movies that they've already released on DVD. Do you really think they would release this as an SE before re-releasing Top Gun? My guess is you'll have to buy this version if you want this movie on DVD in the next several years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The ratio I originally listed was a typo.
Such a ratio doesn't exist. Realize, I work
with a template and sometimes I am bound to
make errors.

The ratios is 2.35:1.

My review is not that different from Peter
Bracke's...

This transfer falls just short of perfection and
you sort of get the feeling that this transfer could
have been perfect if it were done today instead
of 4 years ago.
You have to realize, I never saw this on laserdisc.
The only copies I have ever seen of this film were
on VHS. If my review seems a little hyped about
the colors and improvement in transfer it is simply
because this is the first time I have seen it in
widescreen.

Compare this transfer to any other BIG catalog
title that the studio did thorough restoration to
and you'll find this transfer falls short.

It seems likely Paramount will revisit this
title -- especially since there is a big reunion
for the cast going on the Paramount lot within
the next week. Sounds like material suitable for
a future DVD.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying this, even though the reviews have been so-so. I do so love this film.

I'm glad it came today and not four years ago simply because I beleive it would not have been Anamorphic then. I could be wrong though.

I'll be glad to own it. I'd be happier to have a Special Edition.

Brendon

Second Unit
I was only consering "regressing" to the LD as I was hoping that either the 5.1 or Stereo PCM mix was more "balanced" than the current DD 5.1 & 2.0 soundtracks of the DVD.

Doesn't sound like it though.

*sigh*

It's a good job I love this film so much.

Cheers,

Brendon

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If I can find this at the super-low loss leader giveaway prices that I'm sure the major B&M chains will carry it at, then it will be a no-brainer of course. I predict it won't be as low as other loss leaders, though. I think the chains will try to milk this one a bit, being as it's a huge title with more guaranteed sales. OTOH, they might be scared of the competition's pricing and go lower than we'd expect.
$19.99 regular price?
I'm betting between $14.99 and $17.99 for 1st-week sales...and probably the same-ish for Major League. Keep in mind that I'm guessing, based on prior patterns. I don't know anything for sure. But with Paramount's titles, this is likely.
I wonder if CompUSA will have a deal again. If so, I bet it will focus on the fullframe edition, just like with Harry Potter. :frowning:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I will *probably* pick this title up. However, I really would only like to pay 14.99-15.99 for it. Considering Paramount will probably issue an eventual SE makes me really think twice.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember which title Martin said was ready to go at one point (a finished disc was in his hands). Either SNF or Grease.

Sure does seem to sound like it was Grease at this point.

I'm happy they got the rights worked out to get the film out, but I also agree that a lot could have been done with this one in the meantime.

I really think they've underestimated what Grease has become in the last 10 years.

On the other hand, if they had a ton of stock pressed already...but that sure seems unlikely. But if so, then it would be hard to blame them for wanting to sell what they already had made. I just think one would have been snuck out by someone if that were the case.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Im gonna hold back on this title for a probable SE. Paramount has had really good discs in the past, and off the top of my head they havent redone any of the ones i can remember. But this would be the perfect candidate for an SE. From what ive seen, it will USD 19.99 everywhere. I really dont have the urge to watch this movie, i havent watched in like 3 years since the last time i saw the VHS. In any case, whenever i do want to watch it, i think ill just rent it until Paramount does this title justice.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Im gonna hold back on this title for a probable SE. Paramount has had really good discs in the past, and off the top of my head they havent redone any of the ones i can remember.
You call an SE "probable" but then (correctly) note that Paramount hardly ever redoes DVDs. (They've only double-dipped with Star Trek titles to date.) While Grease DOES seem like a movie that should warrant an SE, I don't see why anyone would regard it as "probable" or even "moderately likely" at this point. Look at the track record - it doesn't lend credence to any thoughts of a re-release, especially not a 25th anniversary one...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'll definately be picking up this one. If Paramount does eventually release an "improved SE", this issue will tide me over til that day. I've never seen Grease in widescreen, so this will be sweet in and of itself. I've only seen it on cable so seeing Grease on DVD will be like watching an entirely new movie!
Can't wait!:D

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
They did not clear the rights to use the sign, and when they tried to clear the rights later, Coca-Cola thought the film was too raunchy to feature their logo, so Paramount had to cover it up. Two signs were removed; one blurred, and one covered up with a big gray box. Yet a Coke MACHINE is still unblurred. Either way, Coke thought that their image would be tarnished by such a film as Grease, so forced them to remove it.

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Back in 1978, product placement deals for films were still in their infancy, and no-one in the Grease production team thought to ask Coke if it was OK to feature one of their ads in the film. When the error was pointed out and they belatedly asked permission, Coke said no. Apparently the film wasn't wholesome enough for their image! So the ad was blurred out.

-- J.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I agree with John Berggren that were this transfer made four years ago and warehoused it would almost certainly not have been anamorphic as Paramount was not supporting 16x9 at that time. There are many Paramount films I did not buy back then because of that.

This leads one to conclude that any other shortcomings on this edition are contemporary decisions and troubling. I for one am glad they waited until they were supporing 16x9.

This is a no-brainer for me and my pre-order has been in for months. Since my dealer respects release dates rigorously, I stll have a week and a half to wait.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The artifacting, or lack of, should tell whether or not this disc was complete four years ago. There is a noticable difference or decrease in current new DVDs compared to ones four years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks