DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Friends: The Complete First Season (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I prefer these "extended cuts" over the sydicated or even original broadcast cuts. We get more character development and the jokes never feel flat to me.

I also want to correct what Ron said abot their being no "Play All" feature.

If you click on "Play" on the initial menu rather than going to the "Episodes" the DVD will play all the episodes on that disc in order (at least my Toshiba did).

3. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

How is the commentary?

4. LarryDavenport

The commentary is OK as are the extras, but nothing stupendous.

5. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

FYI....there is a "Play All" function.

Just select 'Play' from the main menu, rather than the episode menu, and all the episodes on the disc will play in order!

6. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Is everyone else as pleased with this set as I am? Granted, the packaging could be better, but it beats All in the Family and Larry Sanders. I love this set. Bring on Season 2!

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yup, am happy with it. Decent price point, good picture and sound. Excellent show. [​IMG]

8. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

So, no one knows when season 2 is coming? I bet they will put the bloopers on one of the season sets! They talked about it on the commentary track! (not about putting them on DVD!)

9. LarryDavenport

DVD File announced that Season 2 will come out on September 9.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Nope, it's 9/3 at SRP of $69.98. Just added to TVShowsOnDVD, that is ALL the info available so far. No art or nuthin'! [​IMG]

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm very pleased with the speed at which these seem to be arriving. 3 per year is a great number. Thanks WB! Keep up the good work!

12. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

I keep having problems with disc 4 of the set. The disc completely freezes up on the "The one with the ick factor" episode. Gonna try to exchange it see what happens.

13. David Akers

David Akers Extra

I'm having a problem with disc 1. The first chapter of the pilot has cut out the front speakers. All I hear is the surrounds with the laugh track. I'm gonna take it back tonight, but it's sounding like they had some productions problems between missing discs, missing soundtracks, etc.

-David

14. Debbie E

Debbie E Stunt Coordinator

Before this DVD I had never seen friends and decided to go for it. I love it! My mom was surprised I had never seen an ep before this. We got through the whole first season. I wanted to beat Ross up! What was he thinking!! He is going to ruin everything! [​IMG]
    I had never imagined how good it would be. This show rules. I can't wait until July 1st when Season 2 arrives (it's on hold from a 10-disc free-shipping order at North American DVD and Season 3 is on my shelf). I AM going to watch this in order [​IMG]

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

17. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Friends: The Complete First Season, IMO, is an excellent TV show on DVD product. I purchased this set used thru Amazon.com Marketplace in October 2002. I watched the entire first disc last year & I finally watched discs 2,3,4 last week. I has been years since I have seen the older Friends episodes. I vaguely remember seeing the episodes on TV when the episodes were first shown but it has been so lomg that I can't remember. All in All, a excellent TV show with a very good release & very good picture quality/ audio quality for a TV show.

BTW: I ordered Friends: Season last week & it arrived about 5 days ago. I watched the first disc of Season 2 & I will watch the rest of Season 2 this weekend.