What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I recall seeing cable one day where the 1968 film TARGETS was about to be shown. A woman's voice came on and said: "Boris Karloff is a young drifter who becomes a sniper in TARGETS -- next, on CINEMAX!"

Karloff was, like, 80 when he made the film, and he doesn't play the "young drifter".

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I just got mine yesterday (Thursday September 30th), haven't had time to watch it yet though.

I'm not sure if the Canadian release of this product is the same as the American one? But up here (Canada), my set had a "French Sticker" on the "plastic" surounding the box (NO French text/print on the actual box... Though the one insert was bilingual), that said that a "French Audio Track" had been added for each of the eight movies.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I've only seen the first three and I enjoyed them. This set looks pretty good as does the price. I most likely will be picking this up on Tuesday.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Add Jamie Lee Curtis. She has stated many times that if it wasnt for Halloween and her other horror roles; she wouldnt have a career.

Oh and HELL yess Im buying this set. I might have to wait till the week of 10/10 due to payday being that week.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Jason's Extreme Cuts - New F13 Attraction at Paramount's Kings Island!

Here you go. Didnt know where else to put this. Thought it was interesting for anyone who ever goes to King's Island.

I wouldnt mind going to Kings Island Fear Fest myself if I wasnt many states away.

"Located in the Paramount Theatre -The bloody legend of Camp Crystal Lake comes to FearFest in this horrific multi-sensory homage to the Paramount Pictures blockbuster slasher saga , Friday the 13th. Watch the indestructible psycho, Jason Voorhees, slice, dice and slaughter his way through hapless victims. Guests will relish this gore fest as the diabolical killer wreaks havoc and splatters blood all across the big screen AND the guests in Paramount Theatre. Narrated by one of Jason's unlucky victims, this 13-minute bloodbath will make guests screech and shrill in their seats. PLEASE BYOBB (Bring Your Own Barf Bag!).

See park map for show times.

Warning: This intense experience contains scenes from the Friday the 13th movies and features visuals and special effects that can be described as shocking, gory and violent. The attraction is not recommended for young guests or anyone sensitive to horror movie images."

http://www.pki.com

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
As a fan of slasher/horror films of the 70's-80's (Freddy,Michael Myers and a few others)can any fans of F13th recommend this as a blind buy? I know I have seen parts of these but I have no real memory of them.
I may pick this up as a blind buy if the price is right!

Thanks for any input and the great review of this set!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

If you're into Freddy and Michael Myers, there is no reason you should not at least enjoy the FTT movies. The FTT series is probably my least favorite of the big three, but they are still fun and are more consistent in terms of quality than the Nightmare on Elm Street Series and Halloween. Halloween started out as the most stylish and slick but the series dove off a cliff after number four (H20 is an exception, but not by a huge deal) Nightmare is the most creative, but the individual films are very hit or miss. FTT is more of a striaght line, the quality varies, but I don't consider any one miles above or below the others.

The individual discs have been out for quite awhile, if you're not sure, rent a couple from your video store.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Will!
I may just pick this up Tuesday,what the hell.
I'm a huge Tom "Sex Machine" Savini fan,and the death scenes sound pretty groovy. Sounds like there's some nice TnA also!!! :D :b :emoji_thumbsup: I think I read part 5? has lots of nudity in it or was most of it cut? (crotch shots and stuff) Not that I care about that kind of stuff. HA!!!!

Ollie T

Auditioning
"The 3D effects of movies like these (Amityville 3D, Jaws 3D, F13 3D) will not even work on HDTV's I believe. At least this is what I have been hearing unless it's false info."

The old red/blue 3D works just fine on HDTVs. The 3D Shrek flick works just fine. Of course it is not as nice as the other 3D, it is still an option. The original was in the red/blue type.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator

Very nice post, Ryan. Halloween did eventually grow ludicrous, mainly due to inept filmmakers who didn't know how to handle a plot. The Curse of Michael Myers could've been something special. Yes, it explained what Michael was, but it was dripping atmosphere and definitely a step above average genre fair.

Another problem I've had with the Friday series is it's all build-up, no pay-off. In Halloween, the emphasis is on suspense, not gore. But Friday the 13th was built for the bloody murders. When the MPAA cut them to pieces, they became nothing more than a series of overlong stalk scenes with absolutely no pay-off in terms of scares or gore.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I am always surprised to see the likings between the series depending on the person. They vary greatly depending on the person.

Halloween 6 a step in he right direction? Dripping with atmosphere and above average genre fare? Im scared.

Thats the first time I have ever heard that. No one I know who even likes the movie even has ever said it was a step in the right direction.

IMO, Halloween 1 was a step in the right direction for horror and was an interesting addition to horror with a frightening villian. Thats about it. I wouldnt say any of the sequels were a step in the right direction. I would say it downgraded as we went on from average (H2, H4) to abysmal (H8). But, thats just my opinion.

I have seen a few who love Jason takes Manhattan, but none of the others. Same with Jason goes to Hell. Some like Freddy's Dead the best. Some like F13, but not Elm Street. Some like Elm Street, but not F13. Some love Halloween Ressurection.

There are people who like Halloween 6 the best out of the series by far. Some hate every movie in all three series. Why they keep watching is a mystery if they hate every single one.

Opinions vary greatly.

I saw most of these movies as they came out. I most liked the 80s versions where I disliked all the 90's sequels.

Halloween 6, H20, Freddy's Dead, Wes Cravens New Nightmare, Jason goes to Hell. Didnt care for any of them and dont own any of them except the Freddy ones which came in the set.

Wes Cravens New Nightmare is technically well made, but I never warmed to it. Dont know why. I have tried to watch it a few times, but it does nothing for me. But, I can easily watch Elm Sreet 1.

Personally, I think I attach more to the original traditional movies (Freddy seeking revenge for being burned, Jason at Crystal Lake) of these series as those are the ones I grew up with.

If I was growing up now, I might have loved Freddy vs Jason (which I didnt) to death and not have liked the others. I just dont know.

Halloween 6 at least had somewhat of a Halloween atmosphere going for it. Thats true. Something sorely missing from both H20 & Ressurection. Either movie could have taken place anytime & I would have never known the difference.

Jason goes to Hell & Halloween: Ressurection are two movies I just cant watch no matter what.

P.S. I truly believe Myers should have never had a motive and that Halloween was the most hurt be sequels as it was originally the creepiest movie & character.

Freddy and Jason were always campier than Myers and were made for the 80's. They were fun and meant to be apart of it. Though both were originally never meant to be turned into camp either. Freddy & Jason did both have their days where they scared early on even if it didnt last past 84.

Myers was a frightening character in 1978. He was something different. He was not meant to be fun or entertain you in any way. He wasnt meant to be an 18in Neca figure. He was meant to terrify you and send shivers down your spine. Thats how he should have remained. Sending Myers after Family members & putting Myers in a cult took away everything that made him frightening IMO. I want the pure shadowy figure of evil. Not a product of some over aged cult members who run one of the lamest and most disorganized cults I have ever seen.

Turning Laurie into a family member took away some of the fear. Much better when she was just a random target. Still, it wasnt the worst thing that ever happened. But, the Cult and Busta Rhymes just were so much much worse & destroyed it for me. And I hated that it happened. Plus it was all so very poorly handled which made it even worse.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
When I told my parents I wanted to buy this, they gave me that odd look... slow down... Because I've been buying so much, I was like I must have the Jason!!!!! I'm actually more excited about this than I was about Star Wars!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm 42 and saw F13 PART 2 at 19. I became a tremendous fan, and waited for FVJ forever. I thought it was an excellent film for a "FREDDY VS JASON Teamup,", and perfectly managed to exceed both franchise's fans expectations. Both characters were brought together well, had some great fight scenes, and yet Jason was still Jason and Freddy was still Freddy. Even some history for both was added.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So does anyone know if Part VII has the original end credits, or the re-done ones that were on the VHS tape? That will be the deciding factor in whether I buy this or not (yes, I know I'm nit-picky.)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Jesse, what's the difference? And you really wouldn't buy this set because of credits?

If you let me know the difference I'll check.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
The difference would be obvious. On all the other films, the credits were film, but on the video release of VII, they were video, which made them look rather cheap, and flew by at light speed. Just pop in your VII DVD and see if it resembles the above.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The Friday 7 end credits on the first DVD were the same kind as those in 1-6. They were film. I am almost positive. April Fools Day (which was video on VHS) was film too on the first release.

Dont know about the new DVD. Dont have it yet.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
These credits are the same as the last DVD as well as a 10+ year old VHS I have, which was recorded off Cinemax. This was the first I have heard of this change so perhaps he should wait for someone else to answer this.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to be clear and say I was referring to the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6. That hacked-up, gored-up mess of a theatrical film will never receive a recommendation from me. And Halloween 5 is even worse.

Count me against you guys on New Nightmare, though. I love the film. The plot itself is thankfully original, but I also love the relationship between Heather and Dylan. Two classic suspense pieces (The operating room and the freeway) as well as what I consider an underrated classic in J. Peter Robinson's score add up to what I consider one of the best horror films of the 90s.

I found Freddy vs. Jason to be a fun flick. Nothing more, nothing less. At 19, I am "growing up" now, but I've been a genre fan since I was 12. I appreciated that FVJ was true to both characters, and I also believe that because it's essentially a Nightmare film co-starring Jason, it benefitted from a plot that was a notch or two above most Fridays in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks