What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Freaky Friday (VERY RECOMMENDED!!!) (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I knew nothing of this movie, didn't know anything about the premase, didn't know anything about the DVD, but because I was looking for something to read, I clicked on this review just now. This is now something I really want, thanks for the review David even if it is costing me some money down the line...maybe there's still time to notify those late shoppers in my family that I think this would make a good stocking stuffer.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, thanks for the confirmation on Fullscreen only.

I'll get a friend in CA to pick up a copy for me. Hopefully I'll get it by Christmas in time for my daughter.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just rented this one tonight from Rogers Video here in Vancouver, and all the copies they have are the English only FS/WS. On the back of the box it only mentions fullscreen, but like David says in his review, when you click play, the next screen presents you with the choice of format. No French language track. Their website indicates that this is also the version they sell (as does Amazon.ca, Chapters etc) but I'll have to look on the "for sale" shelf when I return it tomorrow to verify that it really is the same as the rental, after reading Andrew's experience with Amazon.ca. You obviously should be able to return that one since they made the mistake, not you. I think if I were going to purchase this disc, I'd wait a month or two when there should be plenty of the WS/FS copies available used at Rogers, Blockbuster etc.

By the way, I found this movie (which I rented at the insistence of my two daughters) to be way better than my expectations :)

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
OK, followup to the above (for any Canadians who care): The cases on the rental and sale shelves at Rogers are the same Canadian version with included French language track and no widescreen. The DVD you actually receive when renting is the US version with no French (and widescreen option instead). The staff people I spoke with couldn't give me any official explanation, just that they receive the cases and DVDs separately, with the DVDs arriving on large spools. They also suggested waiting for the used discs to become available in January (although they weren't sure how they were going to package them since the case and DVD don't really "match". So far no one has apparently come back to them complaining that the advertised French version was missing, but here in Vancouver that doesn't really surprise me too much.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The same thing more or less happened when Monsters Inc came out at Rogers Video. They got the US versions of the disc for rental. Once they became available for PV sale, they were place in Canadian packaging.

Paul Clancy

Auditioning
The blockbuster rental in Canada is the 1.33:1 full frame only. I saw no wide option. Rogers is doing a great job of providing widescreen versions when at all possible while blockbuster still seems to be kicking and screaming over the issue and if both are available will only rent 4:3. Rogers also has shelf displays with pictures showing the difference (smart). I think Ted Rogers is a big HT fan so this may be part of it. My cousin has a cottage near his palace in northern Ontario and says he's got one helluva HT rig. Go Ted. They're getting more of my business for the widescreen versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks