What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: FOX Film Noir - LAURA (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I will be watching all three dvds. All three films are fine in their own way, but "Laura" is definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's obvious that particular film segment came from a different film source than the rest of the dvd. Fox probably tried their best with it, but that's as good as that segment is ever going to look in my opinion.

Crawdaddy

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Arthur

By sepia, I simply meant a hair towards brownish-grey due to watching the film at a warmer 5400K colour temperature rather than 6500K - a setting that is slightly bluer and would be perceived as black and white.

Mike

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If I might interject, a 5400K colour temperature would also be more consistent with the carbon arc lamps that were used in projectors until the advent of xenon lamps.
I first saw this film on a rather lacklustre VHS copy (in a Film Music class), and may have to pick this up. It has an amazing score, and is a fine movie as well.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Stephen

That's exactly why I calibrated my second preset to 5400K.

I was wowed many years back when I went for my ISF training. I was treated to a clip of "Casablanca" at a very blue 9500K (where many sets are kinda set at out of the box - many are as high as 15000K) and then to 6500K, which did look much better. Then it was switched to 5400K to represent the colour temperature of the lamp in the projector - now that was Black and White! 6500K all of sudden was way too blue now that we knew - whereas 5400K is at the point of equal energy.

Mike

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Quote "About that deleted scene though, it sounds exactly like the scene restored on the Fox laser disc. When that laser disc was released, I do recall reading that the scene was simply deleted because of the cost of the music rights for the song playing in the background, as opposed to the war atmosphere in America. "

I am confused when they say the theatrical cut does not include this scene. The movie without this scene plays awkwardly with Waldo talking about Laura's natural abilities to be successful in her profession and then saying but Tuesdays and Fridays we dined alone. It appears obvious something is missing . I remember seeing this movie on TV growing up and thinking the station had a bad print. Hard to believe this is how the picture was shown in 1944.

The deleted scene is the same scene restored for the laser disc and VHS also.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
If memory serves me correct, I think a part of that scene as well as Waldo's voice appears in the theatrical trailer...unless it was the part just before the cut...

Mike

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The "alternate opening" listed in the specs but missing from the disc.... would that be the murder scene? In the Fox Hour Of Stars version (shown frequently on FMC), the story opens with a quick and surprisingly brutal shotgun blast. Amazing that this was aired on the television adaptation, but (supposedly) shot and subsequently deleted from the film adaptation. Maybe I'm wrong here... the murder scene WAS filmed, right?

...and speaking of Fox's Hour Of Stars program: am I the only one who thinks these shows would make marvellous DVD extras? I can't for the life of me imagine why they wouldn't be included...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Thank GOD...I thought I had lost my mind not being able to find a difference in the opening! :D

I, too, am confused about the "deleted scene". I also thought it was removed from all television prints because of a music rights issue. At least that's what people like Leonard Maltin used to tell us, and I never saw any reason to doubt him. Not to question the esteemed Rudy Behlmer's comments, but it seems silly that THAT brief montage was deemed too decadent for wartime audiences (I mean they DID see the rest of the film didn't they? Every frame REEKS decadence...which is kinda the POINT, thank heavens.)

I have to agree that the movie plays awkwardly without it, and I can't imagine that I'll watch anything but that extended version.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Apparently there are a few scenes that were deleted from this film. Who knows what shape they are in or if they even exist today.

Here's an interesting piece of info from IMDB:

The film as we see it now is without its original ending. Apparently, the shooting scene at the end of the movie was originally filmed from a different angle, and an ending was scripted wherein the whole story turns out to have been nothing but a dream. However, this ending didn't work and was deleted from the final product; also, Otto Preminger re-shot the shooting scene from a different angle.

Mike

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who purchased this and got a Studio Classics pressing of the disc inside as opposed to the Fox Noir design on the other discs issued as part of the series?

I know that "Laura" was initially intended to be released under that line before it was discontinued and postponed to be issued along with the first wave of the Fox Film Noir series, but I'm just curious if all the discs were set aside and only the packaging was changed, or if the first pressings were dismissed (seems doubtful) and mine is a special copy?

I basically just want to know if I stumbled upon a rare disc...

DavidBC

Second Unit
I have a "Laura" disc that's identical to the "Fox Studio Classics" line. It even says copyright 2003 TCFHE.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Well, I think Canadians got the "20th Century Fox" pressing of the discs. I bought mine at Future Shop and my disc is also stamped "20th Century Fox", not the "Fox Film Noir", with the copyright date of 2003 and initials TCFHE.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is a great DVD. Kudos to Fox for doing right by this title (and the other two in the first wave). The picture looks great (Panic in the Streets looks even better in my opinion.) I've listened to part of Rudy's commentary and it is first rate as usual.

One classy touch was the insert that came with the DVD which contained some interesting and informative information. Many inserts are junk; these were worthwhile.

If I could offer some constructive criticism, it would be that I wish Fox could get some consistency regarding the publicizing of these titles. From my vantage point as a consumer it has been quite confusing seeing the revolving door of titles that are supposed to come out in various waves. In my opinion, Fox would be better off not leaking out titles that are subject to change. The same holds true with the supplemental material listings which contained some errors as Michael Osadciw indicated. Warners has not released most of the titles in their second wave, and while we're curious, it has prevented any confusion.

Those quibbles aside, I am glad to see these first wave of DVDs looking so good, and offer a "thank you" to Fox for making a commitment to these films.

Steve

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Brilliant film.
I picked this up for 9 bucks and boy was it worth it.
The Biography of Gene Tierney is a brilliant extra, too.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. I purchased the 3 Fox Noir titles tonight. I'm in Toronto. 'Panic in the Streets' and 'Call Northside 777' had the Film Noir art on the discs themselves, while 'Laura' had the Fox Studios art on the disc (which really is no art at all). Disappointing, but it's the movie up on the screen that counts.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks