What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW - Fletch: The "Jane Doe" Edition (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
No, it was still circa "Mallrats" when Smith was first attached. Chase may not have been notified until a couple years later but the whole reason that Kevin Smith was attached to the project was because Universal had high hopes for "Mallrats" and asked him what Universal properties he was interested in.

In any case, who cares if Chevy Chase was insulted or hurt by Smith's behavior? He hadn't made a "Fletch" film (or any successful film for that matter) in years so it's not as if anyone else was dying to get this one made and movies with 2 or 3 years of (pre)pre-production are common.

You would also think that someone like Chevy Chase would be aware of the fact that not every project that comes before you is gonna make it's way all the way to the big screen. As it stands, Smith's "Fletch" sequel at Universal was never announced in any official capacity, it was only something that Smith expressed interest in. I mean, they ate dinner together and discussed a project. Is that some sort of binding commitment? Hell no.

As for his anger, Chase is well-known for his insane ego and meanness. He's banned from SNL but unlike most performers it's not because of a bad performance, it's because of his out-of-control behind-the-scenes mistreatment of pretty much everybody involved with the show.

Yes, Chevy Chase is mad that Kevin Smith didn't make a "Fletch Lives" sequel in the late '90's. What does that prove?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to get into a long debate about aesthetics, but I couldn't disagree more with your reasoning James.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No but aside from the obvious point that Smith doubtfully said "I promise you that Fletch 3 is my top priority and will come before all my other projects" there's the other point of Smith being a much more reliable source than Chase.

You can say what you want about the guy but he's known for being brutally honest and even self-deprecating. Chase on the other hand is an undeniable egomaniac. As far as I can see there's every reason to believe that Chase overreacted because Kevin Smith didn't drop everything to accommodate him.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interesting story. James, where did you get that Chase quote?

I can understand Chase being upset at not having his calls returned by a much younger guy, but then again, his and Smith's reputations would lean me in the direction of taking Smith's word over Chase's.

Who knows.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
What I remember about the story (and in the late 90's I would frequent Smith's board on a daily basis).

It happend long after MALLRATS. I believe it was between DOGMA and JAY AND SILENT BOB. It was the Weinsteins / Miramax that bought the rights, I thought. And it was always intended to be starring Jason Lee, with a possible cameo by Chevy.

On the first AN EVENING WITH KEVIN SMITH DVD he tells the whole story, including his lunch with Chase.

As for Chase, I wouldn't attack him for this. This was his series and here comes a director, essentially saying we are going to take your character, and redo it without you. Then, to not even do anything with it after that. Has to be frustrating (and again, pick up his new bio if you are a Chase fan).

I will give Smith credit for reviving interest in the books. I first picked them up after hearing his getting the rights. They are a lot of fun.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No, there are two distinctly different "Fletch" projects Smith has been interested in:

the late-90's sequel to "Fletch Lives" starring Chevy Chase which would have been done at Universal when they owned the rights.

the current (2000 to present) prequel/origin story "Fletch Won" that Smith was involved in that was to star Lee that is currently in some sort of development hell with Bill Lawrence now attached as director and no star.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Smith is not completely innocent here. He himself got pissed off when Tim Burton didn't want to use his script for "Superman Lives" and continually bashed Burton for it any chance he got. He hadn't even MET the man! So Chevy Chase getting pissed at Smith shouldn't be a surprise. They're probably more in the same than they realise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks