What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Finding Nemo (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The actual cost was clearly pretty minimal; I doubt it set them back more than it'd have cost them to run one ad in a newspaper, and I'm sure it got reviewers to take notice.
And as a point of reference, a full-page color ad in a newspaper the size of the Minneapolis Star Tribune (top 15 among U.S. dailies) can run around $18,000.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A direct mail campaign would be considerably cheaper than a full page newspaper ad considering that perhaps about 1 to 2 thousands pieces went out. In any event, a funny idea (for those who have a sense of humor) and not something shareholders would be up in arms about (unless they didn't have a sense of humor either).

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The artifacts and compression problems on this disc (EDIT: my mistake, its intentional)...too bad. Really too bad, since this would make a great showcase DVD title.

At least the movie is good :emoji_thumbsup:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
David,
It had never occured to me that these might actually be 16x9 encoded 1.33:1 clips (with the pillarboxing bars hard-coded into the 16x9 frame...possibly with a P/S flag allowing 4x3 TVs to display full-screen). Are you 100% certain that this is the case?
Yes, I am 100% certain. If your DVD player is set to 16x9, you'll get a true 16x9 image with black bars on the sides for those clips. Incidentally, the same is the case for the Making Nemo documentary.

Chris

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I loved it!

the disc is nice, menus etc. Sound was a bit low, and slightly muffled, but nice mix.

video is quite vivid, with some softness at times. I'd rate it 8/10.

loved the Australian stuff, and the turtles.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Easter eggs found!

On Disc 1, goto the Setup menu. Highlight subtitles, and press left. You will see a fishy icon.

When you click on it, nothing happens...but just be patient. Someone will assist you :)

Also on Disc 1, goto bonus features and highlight the virtual aquarium icon (with the TV and the fish inside). Press left.

Heres another egg:

On Disc 2, goto "Mr. Rays Encyclopedia". Highlight the shark, then press down twice.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
"The compression problems are horrendous"

Honestly, I just give up. Why don't you just post some screen shots of what you find "horrendous"? There is nothing "horrendous" on this disc - it is a beautiful thing to behold. If this is an example of being a "videophile" heaven save me from all videophiles because this disc is as good as I've seen basically, and I have over 2,000 DVDs.

I'd be interested to know what you don't find "horrendous" so I can go watch it.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Its the "anemone" scene where Nemo wakes his dad up for school. Watching it again, its not "horrendous" but its there. Or is it part of the look? To be honest, I cannot tell. Maybe Im just used to the "clean" look of the Toy Story DVDs.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Just picked it up. The Slipcase has the same artwork as the regular case inside. Why is there a slipcase?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I guess they think people like slipcases. I like it because it has the sort of "holographic" effect that the case artwork does not.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The fim indeed has moments with picture "distortion", "softness", "muddiness", "shimmering" and other artifacts (specs in the water for example) that are intentional. It takes place underwater people. It looks absolutely fantastic.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Not to beat a dead horse, David, but really, when you say something like "the compression artifacts are horrendous" - that is a general statement, not a statement about ONE scene in a movie. So, people reading your statement would assume that the entire movie is riddled with compression artifacts. THEN we find out you're talking about ONE scene. THEN we find out that you're not even sure if it's artifacts or meant to be there. That's my problem with these types of posts - they cause harm.

I've said it since viewing the disc on Saturday - this is one of the best-looking DVDs I own, top-ten material in every way - I don't see one single solitary problem anywhere - it is perfection until a higher definition format comes along. And, even though I really didn't have enough desire to see it in its theatrical release (I was also quite busy when it came out) I think the movie is terrific - funny, simple, heartfelt. Disney could take a few lessons from Pixar in storytelling. And I found the performance of Ellen DeGeneres award-worthy.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Your right. I will be more careful in my statements when dealing with problems I have with audio/video. I was, in fact, absolutely wrong.

My apologies, but even before I made my "artifact" statement I still loved the DVD.

That said, apologies all around. :emoji_thumbsup: I don't think my one statement will stop the gangbuster sales of Nemo anyhow ;)

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Oh how sweet it is to put in that widescreen DVD and head straight to the main menu....
Pity that we can't put in that widescreen DVD and head straight to the movie....

Forced trailers are bad, but forced menus are no better. I don't want to see a menu unless I press the "menu" button.

Charlie

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Well, I have my copy here from BB. I got the cd case. :frowning: Someone else here at the office went to CC and got the cool liquid filled mousepad. I'm jealous :angry:

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
So it's the liquid filled Mousepad? I thought it was a regular one with the CC logo on it. is it a new liquid one with the CC logo on it or is it the one reviewers were sent, with a CC logo stamped on it.

All my computers at work and home use optical mice, so I don't know why I'm worried about it, but maybe I'll try to get one of these...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks