What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Family Ties Season 1 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, they can steer around that accusation by saying they mentioned music changes on the package. Unfortunately they did not say that they cut two scenes to avoid paying for music.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
did you just call matthew a twit.

anyway, there are many dvds that were stated as complete that arent.

most recent was the SNL season 1.

i dont think its false advertising, just deceptive advertising

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
False, deceptive; call it what you will it is unethical.

At least some of the episodes are uncut unlike some shows I could name (*cough*ALF*cough*Mama's Family*cough*Cosby Show Season 1*cough*)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Another thing to remember when watching the set if you pick it up. The episodes as on the dvd's are out of order and yes it makes a difference because events have allready happened. For various reasons postponements due to baseball or whatever caused them to not be aired in proper order.

Here is how they appear on the DVD Set:

Disc 1
---------
1. Pilot (09/22/82) (23:31)
2. Not With My Sister You Don't (09/29/82) (24:10)
3. I Know Jennifer's Boyfriend (10/06/82) (23:29)
4. Summer of '82 (10/27/82) (24:11)
5. I Never Killed for My Father (11/03/82) (24:09)
6. Give Your Uncle Arthur a Kiss (11/10/82) (24:09)

Disc 2
---------
7. Big Brother Is Watching (11/17/82) (24:03)
8. No Nukes Is Good Nukes (11/24/82) (23:44)
9. Death of a Grocer (12/01/82) (24:10)
10. Have Gun, Will Unravel (12/08/82) (24:09)
11. A Christmas Story (12/15/82) (24:08)
12. Oops! (12/22/82) (24:03)

Disc 3
---------
13. Sherry Baby (01/12/83) (24:10)
14. The Fugitive Part 1 (01/19/83) (24:10)
15. The Fugitive Part 2 (01/26/83) (23:26)
16. Margin of Error (02/09/83) (24:11)
17. French Lessons (02/16/83) (24:08)

Disc 4
---------
18. I Gotta Be Ming (02/23/83) (24:10)
19. Suzanne Takes You Down (03/16/83) (24:09)
20. The Fifth Wheel (03/28/83 (24:10)
21. Stage Fright (04/04/83) (24:12)
22. Elyse D'Arc (04/11/83) (24:08)

This is the correct and only way to view them:

1. Pilot
2. Elyse D'Arc
3. I Know Jennifer's Boyfriend
4. Not With My Sister You Don't
5. Oops
6. Have Gun, Will Unravel
7. Summer of '82
8. I Never Killed For My Father
9. No Nukes Is Good Nukes
10. Suzanne Takes You Down
11. Death of a Grocer
12. Give Your Uncle A Kiss
13. Big Brother Is Watching
14. A Christmas Story
15. Sherry Baby
16. The Fugitive (Part 1)
17. The Fugitive (Part 2)
18. Margin of Error
19. French Lessons
20. I Gotta Be Ming
21. Stage Fright
22. The Fifth Wheel

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
Cut scenes, replaced music, out of order episodes... *sigh* Can't these studios do anything right?

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

I'd say most releases have problems, ranging from ineffective packaging and poor picture quality to replaced music and cut episodes.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Despite the issues with the Family Ties set, I don't think i can prevent myself from buying it. I have waited so long for it and love the show so much. I mean waiting isn't going to change anything + the show is hardly aired on TV anymore. This is probably going to be the only way to own the show period.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

me too, it's a childhood favorite and rarely airs in syndication so I'll be happy with it

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Same here. Every time it's show on syndication the last 10 years or so, I've always watched it. This show is a reminder to me of my youth in the 1980's.

I'll be gladly picking this up in a few weeks.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
Childhood favorite for me too... and still my favorite sitcom of all time. I've been wanting DVDs so much, for so long, I can't resist buying this, 'cause if Paramount doesn't care enough to do it right the first time, they're never gonna re-release a better version.

Still, I'm crushed to learn about the cuts. This time I would've welcomed music replacement (which usually kills me, especially if the song really fits the mood and enhances the scene) - but to know some scenes, however brief, are missing... well that's just horrible. (I remember that "Eddie My Love" scene so vividly, even after all this time - it hurts to know it's gone.)

I can't believe Paramount's too stingy to pay to clear a few old songs! Isn't a show as critically acclaimed, culturally significant, and universally (well, except for the HTF Reviewer, I guess - but surely everyone else in the universe! ;)) beloved as "Family Ties"... WORTH IT?!

It certainly deserves audio commentaries or a featurette, as well. Couldn't be bothered to interview Michael J. Fox while he's still with us, eh? Boo! I'm sure long-time fans would've enjoyed hearing the thoughts of the creator and other cast members too. I kinda want to shake the Paramount suits and say, "Don't you understand the treasure you have here? Quality, meaningful TV shows like this - that significantly affect people's LIVES - come along once in a blue moon! Show a little respect, man!"

Instead they slap it onto DVD after an insultingly long time, and it turns out our long wait was NOT because they were taking the time to clear music rights and put together an awesome set, with restored picture, new retrospective featurettes, gag reels/outtakes from the vaults, or interviews with cast & crew. Turns out Paramount took so long to release "Family Ties" on DVD because... they don't really care. Honestly, it depresses the hell out of me. :frowning:

I realize I may sound looney, but this isn't just about me wanting cool extras/complete eps... I feel indignant, like someone I love has been insulted. Maybe it's natural when you grow up with a show like this one, where you can really care about the characters... they feel like family.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am still debating it. Childhood favorite definately, but it seems like while there are some I loved as a kid and can still enjoy now (Cosby, Facts Of Life, Golden Girls, Mama's Family), there are also ones that I have a lot of great childhood memories but yet can't make it through an entire episode of (Gimme A Break, certain episodes of Diff'rent Strokes). I remember loving the middle years of the show, mostly circa 1983-1986 (seasons 2-4), but I don't remember s1 very well, and early reviews I'm reading seem to be quite poor.

Oh well, I want to see s2 on DVD so I'll suck the inferior first season up.

I think CBS/Paramount is testing the waters before seeing if it sells enough to warrant extras. I wouldn't be too surprised if we at least get commentary in s3 for the two-parter where Elise gives birth and for "A. My Name Is Alex" in season 5, which has always been seen as one of the most important episodes of the series.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena

One of the most important episodes in the history of television! :)

Of course people who don't like to "learn lessons" might accuse it of being "afterschool special", like the HTF Reviewer found season one to be. But I disagree, and besides what's wrong with afterschool specials anyway? :) I never found "Family Ties" overly preachy or heavyhanded - the writing and acting was too good. I appreciate the fact they tackled some serious topics, blending dramatic moments so well with the comedy. Gave this sitcom more depth than most dumb sitcoms, and made the show seem more real.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

I wholeheartedly agree with all your comments Serena. My copy is on the UPS truck as I type and I can't wait to watch it, cut scenes or no cut scenes. Family Ties remains for me, a huge part of my childhood memory. I looked forward to each and every episode. I even went through a phase where I dressed like Alex P Keaton when I went to school and places with my folks. (I can't believe I'd admitting that right now) My point is - this is my favorite show of all time and I feel like reliving some of those days when I still had my innocence and the only care in the world I had was what acne cream to buy.

My only question after reading this thread is....Paramount's dates next to each episode are in chronological order but a previous poster said they are out of order. My somewhat feeble brain is confused as to how I should watch these episodes once my season 1 arrives today.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They couldn't give Cheers the special edition treatment. Why would Paramount's other big 1980s sitcom be any different?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
seems like CBS has been doing a better job with extras since they acquired Paramount. I notice that Gomer Pyle has extras, something Andy Griffith never got

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks