What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Family Guy" Volume One (1 Viewer)

Franklin Sadnoy

Auditioning
Osama is cut.... don't ask how I know.

As far as the "jagged edges", did anyone ever think that's the way it was originally aired (quality-wise)? Just because it's on DVD doesn't mean it's pristine.... maybe the source material looks that way. There are a LOT of lackluster sources out there.

-fs

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Osama is cut.... don't ask how I know.

As far as the "jagged edges", did anyone ever think that's the way it was originally aired (quality-wise)? Just because it's on DVD doesn't mean it's pristine.... maybe the source material looks that way. There are a LOT of lackluster sources out there.
No need to ask how you know. Ron already posted all of this info that he got from "[a] gentleman directly involved with Family Guy".

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well
to test out my new JVC 7 DVD changer, I decided to pop in the entire Family GUy box set, and after watching the first disc...

The jaggy lines aren't really that bad.
It's apparent in the first couple but seems to not show up in later episodes as much.

I also tested it out on my portable DVDplayer, and the jaggy lines problem seems to be less of a problem.

don't let minimal jaggy line problems, steer you away from purchasing this fine set.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I don't think this has mentioned this before, and even if it has, it's worth mentioning again...

The jagged lines were in the episodes when they were originally broadcast. I remember noticing them when the episodes first aired, and they still show up on my VHS recordings of the show. There were just times where the show had a very 'digital' look to it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
As someone who owns the first Region 2 Family Guy set, I'd like to point out that the jagged lines on the new release here are NOTHING like the lines on the UK disc. I can definitely tell some shots in the first few episodes have jagged and shifting lines, but on the UK discs, it was on EVERYTHING, which I assumed was from NTSC to PAL conversion.

I did have one problem with disc one, however it only appeared on my computer, not on my regular player. In the menus and some scenes of the pilot, a few blocks of the picture would shift to the left a bit. This only affected the image in one of the two fields, however.

Incidentally, the early episodes seem to have interlaced masters while later ones seem to be progressive. I guess they changed in the second season...

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
I got the set today. Just would like to post my two cents on the video quality. Viewing on a 32-inch Toshiba direct-view I do not believe that the quality is any worse than broadcast quality. For me, the quality is in fact better than broadcast quality. Granted, I don't own a 100 inch screen... but I'm loving this set.

Matthew Furtek

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I got it yesterday...

Video quality is bright, vivid, clear and sharp (well, on my 37" Interlaced TV)... except for the 'freeze frame problem' which is fairly noticeable, and common in the older episodes, less in the newer ones.

Commentaries are hilarious sometimes too...

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yes, it's fun hearing the actors swearing in their characters' voices.

I love this show! Before buying, it was playing in a brick-and-mortar shop while I was browsing. Just hearing the Saddam character talk about how much he enjoys watching Seinfeld brought a big grin to my face. Viewing only heightens the humour impact.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I do have a minor complaint about this set now...

After listening to all the commentaries, there seem to be clues to indicate they recorded tracks for more episodes than included. The first time we hear Seth Green on a track, for instance, he's introduced as appearing "once again." When someone asks Seth McFarlane why his production company is "Fuzzy Door," he says he'll talk about it on the next commentary, but that never comes up again. Also, there seems to be a running gag about how many times they've talked about the "laugh and cry" line from the opening credits.

Seth McFarlane also mentioned his original presentation to FOX for Family Guy should be on the DVD somewhere, but it's not. He was pointing to something specific to compare to the final episode.

Franklin Sadnoy

Auditioning
Fox did not use all the commentaries that were recorded for the box set(s).... seems that they weren't too stoked on what the people had to say. And since Fox is flipping the bill......

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Considering some of the things people say about Fox on the Simpsons sets (especially number 2), this is surprising. Any chance of the commentaries turning on CDs or the net?

Franklin Sadnoy

Auditioning
Considering some of the things people say about Fox on the Simpsons sets (especially number 2), this is surprising. Any chance of the commentaries turning on CDs or the net?
I believe the commentary audio never even made it to the audio post-house for AC-3 encoding. Fox marketing killed it in its infancy. Unless someone at Fox gets a hold of it... Maybe the cast wouldn't have been so harsh if Fox hadn't cancelled them. ;) So much for pushing the envelope. OH well... not losing sleep.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Commentaries take up very little room. It's probably a matter of what was said on the ones they cut out.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
The jitter is awful on the 1st episiode, bad on the 2nd, and minimal on the 3rd - 5th. Hope it continues on that path.

Friggin funny.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: two of my friends came over and watched two episodes last night.. laughed our asses off

Peter: "Oh no!"
Lois: "Oh no!"
Meg: "Oh no!"

Koolaid guy: "OHHHHHYEAH!"

:D

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Should we start a Family Guy quotes thread?

"That sure is a huge-ass pinata."
(Pinata literally IS a huge ass!)
Brian: "I hope candy comes out of that thing."

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Man my brain is fried. I just watched all four disk today,back to back to back to back. Good thing I don't have much of a life, I might have missed something:)

"Get out! this is the part just for the men."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks